Microsoft: Please give us start screen backgrounds instead of skinned tiles!

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's all about choice, which I hope Microsoft realise and give the option of either skinned tiles or a background image. Actually, I'd be happy if they'd let us just change the background colour to something other than black or white.

I love the idea of grouping tiles with semantic zoom - this is so useful on my Surface and sometimes I forget and try to do it on my phone. A shame there haven't been any leaks of this, but maybe that's one of the few things that hasn't leaked yet?

Michael300

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I've just noticed it, sorry mate!

Umm, well I don't understand you quiet well, in my concept I have implemented sorting out your app list by the things that you mentioned (date installed, most used, name, category). But on the start screen, I am with the option of letting the user manage and sort the start screen the way he wants: arrange tiles, group them, name groups, etc.

I didn't know what you're advocating at first, are you saying you want to replace current homescreen permanently with yours, or is this just another option?

Last edited:

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
It's all about choice, which I hope Microsoft realise and give the option of either skinned tiles or a background image. Actually, I'd be happy if they'd let us just change the background colour to something other than black or white.

I love the idea of grouping tiles with semantic zoom - this is so useful on my Surface and sometimes I forget and try to do it on my phone. A shame there haven't been any leaks of this, but maybe that's one of the few things that hasn't leaked yet?

You have just summarized everything that I feel. I have a Surface Pro, and I just love the Metro experience that Windows 8 has, why can't WP be the same? I don't know. Especially with other leaks that suggest that Windows RT and Windows Phone will unite in 2015.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I didn't know what you're advocating at first, are you saying you want to replace current homescreen permanently with yours, or is this just another option?

No, not permanently. It's your choice. You can group your tiles if you want, and arrange tiles in those groups, and name those groups. It's user dependent.

Have you used Windows 8?

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Btw, I think the post on wpcentral was trying to say something in specific when they said the tiles will be TRANSPARENT, not a skin, what does that mean? It means that the picture will stay still while you scroll the tiles up and down. That's what I understood. I might be wrong.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm still hoping for solid background color choices kind of like the color themes tiles to have some contrast but more colors hopefully.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Btw, I think the post on wpcentral was trying to say something in specific when they said the tiles will be TRANSPARENT, not a skin, what does that mean? It means that the picture will stay still while you scroll the tiles up and down. That's what I understood. I might be wrong.

From what I understood, they meant that even when the tiles are flipping, the skinned-tile would still have the background, even during the flipping action, also, what you said.

pranayhotkar

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
It was a sad day when I found out that this is what Microsoft is planning for WP 8.1. I keep asking myself why and never get an answer.

Why I believe that skinned tiles isn't the way to go:
  • It would clutter the home screen.
  • Flipping skinned-tiles will make the background image look like a chess table with pieces on it!
  • How would they manage having a very tall wallpaper to cover up a long start screen? God please not by repeating the background!
  • It's just plain ugly and ruins the simplicity of WP.

Why I believe that background image is the answer (with tiles grouping + Semantic Zoom):
  • It's a step closer of unifying the experience between WP and Windows 8.
  • Users can choose from a pre-set of simplistic backgrounds (Just like Windows 8), which keeps the OS simple too.
  • Grouping tiles is a must, especially for people who have more than 50 pinned tiles on their start screen.
  • Semantic Zoom can be used to quickly jump between tiles on your start screen (it's the answer for Androids pinch out that brings all the different home-screens in a quick jump, small view list).
  • Grouping tiles creates gaps between them, so the background can show (this argument is for people that always say there is no point of having a background.)

I have made some mock-ups (with interactive tiles, which is not my subject today). Please check them out and let me know what you think:

View attachment 58479

View attachment 58480

View attachment 58481

(You can visit my other post named: Windows Phone 9 Concept-linking1990)

If you agree with me, please give me your vote on the feature suggestion page for Windows Phone. HERE
your concept is awesome and we need something like this.just gave 3 votes for your concept

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Whilst the background options don't really bother me which way they go, the thing I'd pick on with your concept is the clutter on the tiles. Too many tiles have controls on that that at best save you one tap (like the whatsapp one). The music tile is a good idea, show controls if its a double-wide tile and music is playing (and the Facebook one is a good idea) but the rest just make everything too cluttered and ruin the concept of Windows Phone which was information at a glance and simplicity.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Whilst the background options don't really bother me which way they go, the thing I'd pick on with your concept is the clutter on the tiles. Too many tiles have controls on that that at best save you one tap (like the whatsapp one). The music tile is a good idea, show controls if its a double-wide tile and music is playing (and the Facebook one is a good idea) but the rest just make everything too cluttered and ruin the concept of Windows Phone which was information at a glance and simplicity.

I made it clear at the top of mythread that I wasn't discussing what I call "interactive tiles" inhere, those images are taken from a concept that I made two weeks ago, in thereI discussed my ideas and takes on what I see in WP.
This thread is to talk about Startscreen backgrounds, grouping of tiles and semantic zoom.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I think it's far too early to discuss how this is going to work out. I think the skinned tiles will workout for the better, I remember when we were first complaining about the resizable tiles and the loss of the gutter on the side. We learned to accept that change and the same will be for the skinned tiles.

rhamblet

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I want the ability to do stuff like in OPs post, not the transparent tiles.

I like solid colors, so a grey background with like orange tiles would be sweet. Or navy blue and yellow or something like that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo