Microsoft: Please give us start screen backgrounds instead of skinned tiles!

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
But at least with this option, you have a way to see the background image on your startscreen. But with the tiles covering everything, no matter what you do, you wont be able to see the background on your "start screen". And if you have all your important apps on your startscreen, you will have little to no reason to go to your app list where the background photo would be visible. There is no right place in this

Sigh, there will be no end to this argument. If MS would support both, good. If they support Skinery, good. If they support your idea, not bad - This is my opinion!

Let's just agree to disagree

Really? You really don't mind Live Tiles (the core experience of the OS) completely losing their identity so that you can see your Iron Man photo? Functionality is far more important in my opinion. Live Tiles colours help with their functionality, believe it or not. With skins you lose that. Background is the best option, specially if it's limited to some plain colours or gradients so that everything is kept very clean.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I just want my Start Screen on Windows Phone 8.1, to be similar to my Start Screen on Windows 8.1

View attachment 58817

Agree! That background colour brings happiness to your Start Screen. That would totally change if it was a black background. The same can be said for WP, so I don't really understand why does Microsoft just really want to give us black or white...

Woknox

Developer
Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
although its not 100% in line with Windows 8.1, I would like to have the skinned tiles,... it just looks great! and it still has a Windows 8 look and feel

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my point, as someone said earlier, we don't need any background behind the tiles, for me personally I'd rather having to choose from a pre-set of abstract backgrounds, just like the ones found in Windows 8, that also have the parallex effect while scrolling (tail of the dragon I am looking at you!)
Start @ 1:54

I like this solution a lot, specially for 5/6 inch screens, but the option of having transparent tiles that allow to see the wallpaper is also welcomed. We need more options!!

Bruno Arphenia1

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I really give up , I'll just sit and wait for April 2 to see the end result , I just think we need more customization and still believe that skin to the tiles not satisfies , Microsoft missed a great opportunity to leave the windows phone more appealing to all consumers , I really love the windows phone as it is, but we need more options these colors are the same since its release , I 'm already tired of looking at them, and I'm sure I'm not alone q this opinion. Not convince myself to do something like windows 8.1 would not be the best way to tell everyone that systems are of the same father , and leave without a consistent design visual pollution , would still feeling by bringing the two visually. Remembering to keep the option of removing the subject to leave the only black or white for the more conservative , even as an option to save more battery . And all would be happy if you want more options and who just want to stay where they are . Sorry for my bad english

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I really give up , I'll just sit and wait for April 2 to see the end result , I just think we need more customization and still believe that skin to the tiles not satisfies , Microsoft missed a great opportunity to leave the windows phone more appealing to all consumers , I really love the windows phone as it is, but we need more options these colors are the same since its release , I 'm already tired of looking at them, and I'm sure I'm not alone q this opinion. Not convince myself to do something like windows 8.1 would not be the best way to tell everyone that systems are of the same father , and leave without a consistent design visual pollution , would still feeling by bringing the two visually. Remembering to keep the option of removing the subject to leave the only black or white for the more conservative , even as an option to save more battery . And all would be happy if you want more options and who just want to stay where they are . Sorry for my bad english

Indeed it seems like we will have to forget about backgrounds on WP8.1... I guess they are just not coming. But we should keep fighting in WP user voice so that Microsoft will understand that we really really really want this in a future version! We will have to express ourselves louder because, despite all our efforts this time, it seems like we have lost this battle. But not the war!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
We aren't really asking for pictures, we are asking for colours.

That's what you're asking for not "we". I want background images so do many others (at least that's what I and many others voted for) so for a lot of people, the skinned tile idea is the way forward just like to you (and many others), the colors behind the tiles is the way to go

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
That's what you're asking for not "we". I want background images so do many others (at least that's what I and many others voted for) so for a lot of people, the skinned tile idea is the way forward just like to you (and many others), the colors behind the tiles is the way to go

Yes, we, because I'm not the only one. It doesn't mean you are included. Background photos don't make sense in this flat OS. It goes against its minimalist design language. Colours and gradients do.

Anyway, you are happy because you are getting what you wanted. Those of us who asked for something even more simple to implement aren't getting what we asked for. If you think that's fair...

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we, because I'm not the only one. It doesn't mean you are included. Background photos don't make sense in this flat OS. It goes against its minimalist design language. Colours and gradients do.

Anyway, you are happy because you are getting what you wanted. Those of us who asked for something even more simple to implement aren't getting what we asked for. If you think that's fair...
LOL! So your logic is to now tell MS to get rid of this(what me and many others want) for what you (and others want) so you'll be happy and that's what's fair?!!.

Hahaha! What a good laugh. Talk about pot calling kettle black. Haha

EDIT: Like I've said over and over, there are other things to worry about in WP. I wanted this feature, I voted, MS seems to be doing what I want so I've moved on. Not my fault. You can't please everyone. There's no way I'm gonna support what you want if it conflicts with what I want. That's not "unfair" it's just logical. If you think that's unfair or selfish, then why don't YOU support what I want then? Worry about other things like the app gap. At least we know MS is doing something about the backgrounds. If they do it they leaked way I'll be a happy man, if they do it your way, it's still an improvement to what was implemented before so I'm still gonna be partially happy. Apps and the Nokia-MS deal is my "new worry"

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
LOL! So your logic is to now tell MS to get rid of this(what me and many others want) for what you (and others want) so you'll be happy and that's what's fair?!!.

Hahaha! What a good laugh. Talk about pot calling kettle black. Haha

EDIT: Like I've said over and over, there are other things to worry about in WP. I wanted this feature, I voted, MS seems to be doing what I want so I've moved on. Not my fault. You can't please everyone. There's no way I'm gonna support what you want if it conflicts with what I want. That's not "unfair" it's just logical. If you think that's unfair or selfish, then why don't YOU support what I want then? Worry about other things like the app gap. At least we know MS is doing something about the backgrounds. If they do it they leaked way I'll be a happy man, if they do it your way, it's still an improvement to what was implemented before so I'm still gonna be partially happy. Apps and the Nokia-MS deal is my "new worry"

WTF? I said that what you want doesn't make any sense in the metro design language. And it doesn't. So I will not use it but where the hell did you see me saying that I would like them to remove it so that they can add what I want? I say, let this feature stay for those who don't give a sh*t about design consistency and just want their iron man photos on their start screen, despite making the core of the OS (the live tiles) losing its identity and functionality (easy to spot at a glance). No problem, let this feature stay, but IN ADDITION, give those who like and respect the metro design language the features they want! It's that simple.

See? It's all about choice. Not removing features to add new ones. This choice I'm talking about... You have it, I don't. That's my point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb