Am i the only one sick of home build quality of the phones for this platform

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Right, when i joined this platform, i had swapped my iphone 4 for a lumia 820, it was great, except the fact that the battery died even if i was playing asphalt and charging it at the same time i don't get why either but i ignore that great phone, but i soon got sick of the lack of apps then moved back to an iphone 4s.
Then after reading up again i heard that windows phone is starting to do well again and so i saved up and got a lumia 920, I LOVED it, it was great, i still have it somewhere in my room now, but guess what my problem with it was, yep the build of the phone was poor, when you pressed the screen you heard little clicking noises, after a while i had screen burn on the top and bottom right corners, the screen in the area looked burnt and please do not make any excuse for this ok, i had the phone from august 2013 to October 2013(when i first noticed the problem)

But anyways i kept using it because it was a great phone, but soon it really started annoying me and add the scratches on the phone i decided it was time to get a new phone(February 2014) it took me AGES to save up for this phone, i was saving up since December for this, and i was so happy to get it, the first 2 days i couldn't get enough of it, but then the problem started again this time it was the "mura effect" or oled screen problem as i have read, now i am fine with the fact that the screen type isn't perfect and i should expect.

But after about 2 weeks with the phone i started noticing this problems, i saw the streaks of lines that look like smudges but cant be wiped off and blotches on the screen, now as far as i have read, this is a common problem with most smartphones such as S3, S4, the note series and so on.

My friends with their samsung note, samsung s4 and s3 and iphones and Xperia Z and co don't seem to have this problem but according to the internet it affects all phones eventually but my question now is does nokia just use cheaper quality parts to make their phones or am i missing something, i seriously need an answer. i can't (and im sure there are many like me who feel the same) keep spending loads of money on new phones because of sucky build quality of the phones for the platform.

i love wp8 and all but every fricking phone seems to have some sort of "normal" defect, now i hear you saying why not get a different brand but the htc 8X doesnt fill me with confidence that HTC will fully support it, the ativ S is way behind the design on nokia and htc, so you see my problem is i need a phone that has great build quality but also gets full support from the company and this is why iphones are great, yes the screen may break when dropped but one thing is that iphones have great quality, iphones get passed down families well here in the UK at least.

In my case are im meant to pass a phone that will have a load of blotches by the 4 months time....i really hope the next windows phones that come out will come from a lot of different companies so we have more options, i'm not getting any "top range" phones anymore because i don't see the point anymore, and since the mid range phone with memory card will now have apps and games installed on the card i'll be content with a mid range 8.1 phone next :), maybe the 830 or what ever comes next but GOSH i hope the next set of phones for our platform are better.

Last edited:

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am sorry that you have experienced these troubles. I have had a Samsung focus, a Lumia 900 and a Lumia 920 now. I have never experienced any issues with any of my phones except for maybe three minor short term issues. In my experience the build quality has been very good t spectacular.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I am sorry that you have experienced these troubles. I have had a Samsung focus, a Lumia 900 and a Lumia 920 now. I have never experienced any issues with any of my phones except for maybe three minor short term issues. In my experience the build quality has been very good t spectacular.

wow really? that surprising but i do hope we get more options in terms of what company get to make the phones

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Kind of hard to read, carriage returns are a good thing BTW ;)

Have you tried to get the phones fixed under warranty?

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The ATIV S might be "behind on design" but mine has received all the updates released so far and IMHO the build quality seems to be better than Nokia, this may be down to QA in manufacturing though.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
for phones my family has had Focus, HTC 8x, Lumia 900, 920, 520, 1020...I haven't had any screen related issues. I did notice a bit of a squeak in the 920 around the screen but it only happens when pressing from the top intensionally. Other than that the quality has been good, I've dropped the 920 many times and am very thankful for the build quality:) Will be holding onto this one till Christmas most likely:)

But as Guzzler3 points out if it's only 4 months there should be a warranty unless your buying them on the black market or as used devices.

I do look forward to more manufacturers, but will probably stick with Nokia as they have been pushing the specs and abilities of Windows phones for some time.

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
I coudn't fully read your post as it's a bit hard to read a wall if text - but my experiences with windows phone devices have been pretty good - the devices my family had were - Nokia Lumia 710, samsung focus, samsung focus flash, Samsung ATIV Odyssey (2 of them), Nokia Lumia 920 (2 of them) - the only device that died was the Nokia 710 - the rest were pretty good - no major complaints.

I did notice a bit of a squeak in the 920 around the screen but it only happens when pressing from the top intensionally.

My brother's 920 does this but it does not happpen in mine. strange.

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the reply guys, however i do have a question, my 925 yeah has the mura effect thing on it so my question is if i change the screen(the glass) does this go away? please please give me an answer

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Like 1 screen every 10 doesn't show the problem... And with the quality of Nokia amoled screens it would be subpar anyways, sorry

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I think the problem lies with Nokia. As much as I love the platform, there have definitely been build quality issues. The 900 had a very obvious case of light leak from the buttons on the bottom of the screen, the 920 kept getting dust in the front facing camera, and now my 1020 is mostly fine (no mura) but it's started creaking when i push the screen. Small issue, but nonetheless there.

I think what happened is when Nokia stopped building phones in Finland, they decided to focus on quantity over quality, so they have been pumping out phones much faster, but the QA has gone down. I hope Microsoft will improve the Lumia build quality since the Surface, Zune, and Xbox have been great from a quality perspective.

xkinn

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Right, when i joined this platform, i had swapped my iphone 4 for a lumia 820, it was great, except the fact that the battery died even if i was playing asphalt and charging it at the same time i don't get why either but i ignore that great phone, but i soon got sick of the lack of apps then moved back to an iphone 4s, then after reading up again, i heard that windows phone is starting to do well again and so i saved up and got a lumia 920, I LOVED it, it was great, i still have it somewhere in my room now, but guess what my problem with it was, yep the build of the phone was poor, when you pressed the screen you heard little clicking noises, after a while i had screen burn on the top and bottom right corners, the screen in the area looked burnt and please do not make any excuse for this ok, i had the phone from august 2013 to October 2013(when i first noticed the problem) but anyways i kept using it because it was a great phone, but soon it really started annoying me and add the scratches on the phone i decided it was time to get a new phone(February 2014) it took me AGES to save up for this phone, i was saving up since December for this, and i was so happy to get it, the first 2 days i couldn't get enough of it, but then the problem started again this time it was the "mura effect" or oled screen problem as i have read, now i am fine with the fact that the screen type isn't perfect and i should expect this but after about 2 weeks with the phone i started noticing this problems, i saw the streaks of lines that look like smudges but cant be wiped off and blotches on the screen, now as far as i have read, this is a common problem with most smartphones such as S3, S4, the note series and so on, but my friends with their samsung note, samsung s4 and s3 and iphones and Xperia Z and co don't seem to have this problem but according to the internet it affects all phones eventually but my question now is does nokia just use cheaper quality parts to make their phones or am i missing something, i seriously need an answer. i can't (and im sure there are many like me who feel the same) keep spending loads of money on new phones because of sucky build quality of the phones for the platform, i love wp8 and all but every fricking phone seems to have some sort of "normal" defect, now i hear you saying why not get a different brand but the htc 8X doesnt fill me with confidence that HTC will fully support it, the ativ S is way behind the design on nokia and htc, so you see my problem is i need a phone that has great build quality but also gets full support from the company and this is why iphones are great, yes the screen may break when dropped but one thing is that iphones have great quality, iphones get passed down families well here in the UK at least, but in my case are im meant to pass a phone that will have a load of blotches by the 4 months time....i really hope the next windows phones that come out will come from a lot of different companies so we have more options, i'm not getting any "top range" phones anymore because i don't see the point anymore, and since the mid range phone with memory card will now have apps and games installed on the card i'll be content with a mid range 8.1 phone next :), maybe the 830 or what ever comes next but GOSH i hope the next set of phones for our platform are better.

My suggestion: batter saving up your money and wait for next year.
No, seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingenu

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
My suggestion: batter saving up your money and wait for next year.
No, seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well tbh 'm thinking about this aswell, you know when i had ym iphone and i know some of them do break and have problems, i had confidence in that it would last me a year or two at least but with lumias i always think, some fault will happen within 6 months which sucks but hopefully a new OEM comes up

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Foxconn China manufactures most of these phones including Galaxy, iPhone, Nokia, Xbox, PS4. I work for Foxconn Houston. I am a network tech and I work with Cisco network products. The people that work in the production line are all paid minimum wage and take shortcuts in order to increase numbers of unit generated. Manufacture error is common in Foxconn as Quantity over Quality seems to be more important but that's another area. I work in test department not quality so I do not know how they run it.

A lot of times people will mistake manufacture error as design flaw but its not actually the case. Also, I did not fully read your wall of text its really hard to read without paragraphs.

Kingenu used wall-of-text, it was super effective.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I've had two phones since wp7 launched. The HTC Trophy from launch day on Verizon. Not a single problem the whole time I had it. And now the Nokia Lumia Icon. I haven't had a problem with it yet. And it feels super premium and well put together. I'd say you've had bad luck.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had two phones since wp7 launched. The HTC Trophy from launch day on Verizon. Not a single problem the whole time I had it. And now the Nokia Lumia Icon. I haven't had a problem with it yet. And it feels super premium and well put together. I'd say you've had bad luck.

Wow going from the trophy to the Icon is a nice leap. I was thrilled when I moved from the Trophy to the 928, I'm sure it's even better going from the Trophy to the Icon.

Sorry for the off topic comment.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Had a 900 for 2 weeks (returned as it wasn't getting the update to WP8 back then), a 920, my girlfriends 8X (POS in my opinion, she's on her 2nd one and I just gave her my 920) and now my 1520. I've never experienced any of what you're discussing, including scratching. I have had my 920 since launch day and it has a few very minor scratches on the back because I tend to toss my phone on my desk, other than that, it has survived many drops and bangs and nary a problem. And my 1520 is amazing.

Sorry you're having issues. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw I guess.

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I think, like others may have said, the problem lies with Nokia. I've had various issues with Nokia products, and I still like them despite the issues. The thing is, a company like Apple, that's going to sell tens of millions of the same phone can hold their factories to very very high standards, an Nokia can't. That's my two cents.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I think, like others may have said, the problem lies with Nokia. I've had various issues with Nokia products, and I still like them despite the issues. The thing is, a company like Apple, that's going to sell tens of millions of the same phone can hold their factories to very very high standards, an Nokia can't. That's my two cents.

Dunno if you saw my post. We call them customers (apple, samsung, nokia, cisco, microsoft). Customers can hold us (Foxconn) to high standards and we will pass audit but thats because we prepare for it. Half of the time we are taking shortcuts but im just a lower guy I have no say.

And that is here in USA Foxconn Houston working with Cisco product..... Imagine what its like in Taiwan or China. They get paid 40 cent an hour to make a 600 dollar phone. You think they care? Manufacture error and design flaw are 2 different things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers