The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-08-2014 06:06 PM
87 ... 234
tools
    Actually this still could be done without the need of the microphone to be always on.
    The mic can be turned on (for a 1 min) only after notification from Cortana, so that she can hear her master's command. ;)

Would be cool if cortana had a wake up word so you wouldn't even need touch your phone to activate anything
    Jonas_H likes this.
    03-07-2014 05:49 AM
    The mic can be turned on (for a 1 min) only after notification from Cortana, so that she can hear her master's command. ;)
    How would cortana know you are about to utter a command?
    03-07-2014 06:35 AM
    but it has an extra processor built in that reduces the battery drain of the always-on microphone.
    Has zero to do with the microphone being on.

The problem is the power it takes for the device to constantly process ambient noise. That chip is constantly doing audio analysis. When it picks up sounds within the frequency range of human speech, it also does voice recognition on every word being said, to hopefully eventually notice that one command directed at itself.

That extra low power chip allows the rest of the device to be turned off while doing so.
    Jonas_H and boshkop like this.
    03-07-2014 06:48 AM
    The Moto X, for example, also has a virtual assistant which you can start with your voice, but it has an extra processor built in that reduces the battery drain of the always-on microphone.
    My wife has a Moto X, and the virtual assistant works very well. If the device is turned off, the touchless control only responds to her voice, for security. If I say, "OK Google Now", nothing happens. Anyone can use Google Now normally if the device is on and unlocked. Also you can say "What's up?" and it will read recent notifications. The always listening processor for touchless control uses very little battery. The battery life of the Moto X will rival that of any smartphone.

Neither Siri nor Google Now started out top notch, and I don't expect Cortana to either. But give it time. Microsoft's Tell Me has very good voice recognition. I recall using it way back when there was a phone number to call and ask for information. Maybe it's still active: I don't know. At work when we activate Windows or Office by phone, we're very impressed with how fast you can read the numbers and it still understands. Microsoft has the voice recognition down, at least American English; they just need to get the AI in place.
    FinancialP and Jonas_H like this.
    03-07-2014 07:04 AM
    "Im absorbing the entire internet". Amazing stuff and epic line.
    It's a quote from the Doctor Who episode 'Dalek'.
    03-07-2014 07:09 AM
    Btw, the bubble thing posted previously, looks very nice, but is out of WP world.... doesn't fit at all. imo
    03-07-2014 08:40 AM
    How would cortana know you are about to utter a command?
    What do you mean? It could be like that - if there's a reminder for a meeting, she can read that out loud and then ask if you are attending or running late, etc.
    If the phone hasn't been moved for an hour, this could mean that you are not nearby then she won't expect you to reply (and won't read out loud the reminder).

I know there are exceptions, that's just a thought. :)
    03-07-2014 10:34 AM
    What do you mean? It could be like that - if there's a reminder for a meeting, she can read that out loud and then ask if you are attending or running late, etc.
    If the phone hasn't been moved for an hour, this could mean that you are not nearby then she won't expect you to reply (and won't read out loud the reminder).

I know there are exceptions, that's just a thought. :)
    Okay, we weren't talking about the same thing. I think you were talking about getting rid of the requirement to "tell" the device to expect a voice command while actively using it, while I was under the impression we were talking about a broader solution, that would eliminate that requirement even when you're not holding the device or using it in any way.
    Last edited by a5cent; 03-13-2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    03-08-2014 01:35 AM
    wbxo3g.jpg

​:)
    03-08-2014 06:23 AM
    Siri was never given a humanoid form, so that graphic is kinda pointless.
    03-08-2014 07:50 AM
    The best part of that entire video is when it showed that quiet hours will automatically turn on when I'm "busy" in meetings....can't wait for 8.1!!
    03-08-2014 01:36 PM
    The best part of that entire video is when it showed that quiet hours will automatically turn on when I'm "busy" in meetings....can't wait for 8.1!!
    how do you think it will know you are in a meeting? Do you think they will make it based on the calendar, or maybe something more sophisticated 😁😁😁 can't wait...
    03-08-2014 06:06 PM
87 ... 234