Finally... i present to you Cortana!

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Ok let's see your explanation.

As long as I can opt out on MS following and collecting my data while I can't do the same with google, there's nothing you can really do to convince people that they are similar.

Also a ToC doesn't always cover what a company does and does not do, but mostly what they can and cannot do. I have yet to see any ads based on my emails for example.

Where do you see that you can opt out of MS colecting your data? You can opt out of targeted ads as you can with google, but not the tracking in general. I said earlier that MS doesn't target ads based on email content. The only ads you would get on Outlook are one based on your age, gender, and zip code. And just to be clear you want me to explain Google's business model correct?

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Looks pretty good if you ask me. I've been waiting on this for a long time. It will be nice to be able to use my nice Nokia Purity earbuds to initiate calls, check on the weather, etc, without having to get my 920 out of my pocket.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I think it will be useless, but if it is made like artificial intelligence then it would be great for time pass like--
Hi cortana
hi
How r u
fine , and howz u
im also fine ,well what were you doing
nothing just surfing the net
I have 1 question
ok ask
what is the speed of sound in 22 degree C
its 344m/s
ok, well , are there any updates available
no

LOL , I was just doing time pass , as we all know that it will never be like this :eek:rly:

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Where do you see that you can opt out of MS colecting your data? You can opt out of targeted ads as you can with google, but not the tracking in general. I said earlier that MS doesn't target ads based on email content. The only ads you would get on Outlook are one based on your age, gender, and zip code. And just to be clear you want me to explain Google's business model correct?

I was actually referring to opting out or editing what data MS collects for Cortana to use, since this thread is about Cortana, not how Google isn't a horrible company.

As for how Google runs their business, all I care to know is how it's not as intrusive as it sounds or how MS is no better. I don't recall reports on MS monitoring where I go so they can give me better ads. This is one perfect example to how I would feel uneasy with Google. I think they are a very forward thinking company, but they have also gotten too big for their own good.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I was actually referring to opting out or editing what data MS collects for Cortana to use, since this thread is about Cortana, not how Google isn't a horrible company.

As for how Google runs their business, all I care to know is how it's not as intrusive as it sounds or how MS is no better. I don't recall reports on MS monitoring where I go so they can give me better ads. This is one perfect example to how I would feel uneasy with Google. I think they are a very forward thinking company, but they have also gotten too big for their own good.
My argument isn't about how Google isn't horrible. It's about the precieved hypocracy of data collection in relation to Cortana that was put out in some earlier posts. I acknowledged that you can opt out of individual sections using the notebook feature in one of my earlier posts. My point was that to use Cortana to it's fullest potential, a person would have to offer a similar amount of data as a person who uses Google Now. So why are some okay with MS doing the data mining to put into a foward thinking service but not Google? That's why I posted both privacy policies for someone to point out a reason and to offer a logical explanation. I'm no ****** and I would love to learn something new. For Google's business model and why it's not as intrusive as it sounds I'll use myself as an example. I use Google services on my iMac, my iPhone, my 925 (through IE), and of course my android phones. What Google does is learn where i like to eat, what kind of music I like, where i work, what i drive, where i live, how far i walk,that I'm married, that I'm a soldier, etc. From there they create an anonymous profile of me that stays with Google and is not shared with anyone. Next a company aproaches Google as says I want to advertise to young males who are interested in performance parts for a Nissan 350z. From there, Google looks in their servers and serves ads to those still anonymous profiles. If an advertiser got the data from Google what would keep them coming back to continue advertising? That is why the data is so much more valuable in Google's hands rather than them giving it out to any company that wants to show ads. Anything i didnt cover?

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Awesome little teaser there. I can't wait to try it.

My argument isn't about how Google isn't horrible. It's about the precieved hypocracy of data collection in relation to Cortana that was put out in some earlier posts. I acknowledged that you can opt out of individual sections using the notebook feature in one of my earlier posts. My point was that to use Cortana to it's fullest potential, a person would have to offer a similar amount of data as a person who uses Google Now. So why are some okay with MS doing the data mining to put into a foward thinking service but not Google? That's why I posted both privacy policies for someone to point out a reason and to offer a logical explanation. I'm no ****** and I would love to learn something new. For Google's business model and why it's not as intrusive as it sounds I'll use myself as an example. I use Google services on my iMac, my iPhone, my 925 (through IE), and of course my android phones. What Google does is learn where i like to eat, what kind of music I like, where i work, what i drive, where i live, how far i walk,that I'm married, that I'm a soldier, etc. From there they create an anonymous profile of me that stays with Google and is not shared with anyone. Next a company aproaches Google as says I want to advertise to young males who are interested in performance parts for a Nissan 350z. From there, Google looks in their servers and serves ads to those still anonymous profiles. If an advertiser got the data from Google what would keep them coming back to continue advertising? That is why the data is so much more valuable in Google's hands rather than them giving it out to any company that wants to show ads. Anything i didnt cover?

Thanks for the reply and I see where you're coming from. Only thing I don't agree with is what you consider hypocrisy. If I can opt out of Cortana gathering all or certain key points of data about me, that is much more preferred than any company gathering all the data they can about me without my knowledge, cooperation, and especially options to decide what is tracked. I think the level of control over the owner's data/history is what brings people at ease with this service. For example, I wouldn't mind using Cortana to the fullest extent, but if I find that it's becoming too intrusive, I can opt out of the parts I'm not comfortable with or the entire thing. Does Google offer this level of control over the user's data? Honest question because if not, that freedom could be the dividing factor between what is acceptable and what is not for some people.

To me the anonymous aspect means very little.

Why couldn't the guy just show what she sounds like..

The service just may not work as expected....or the poster of the video just likes to torture us. :winktongue:

RustyU

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the hypocrisy is that both Google and MS's ToC say pretty much the same thing (not specific to Cortana either), but people either overlook that MS's say it, or simply don't know it and jump on Google.

At the end of the day, both companies are using your data for targeted advertising.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I think the hypocrisy is that both Google and MS's ToC say pretty much the same thing (not specific to Cortana either), but people either overlook that MS's say it, or simply don't know it and jump on Google.

At the end of the day, both companies are using your data for targeted advertising.

That's a very broad statement without knowing why some are bothered by the gathering of data.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Awesome little teaser there. I can't wait to try it.

Thanks for the reply and I see where you're coming from. Only thing I don't agree with is what you consider hypocrisy. If I can opt out of Cortana gathering all or certain key points of data about me, that is much more preferred than any company gathering all the data they can about me without my knowledge, cooperation, and especially options to decide what is tracked. I think the level of control over the owner's data/history is what brings people at ease with this service. For example, I wouldn't mind using Cortana to the fullest extent, but if I find that it's becoming too intrusive, I can opt out of the parts I'm not comfortable with or the entire thing. Does Google offer this level of control over the user's data? Honest question because if not, that freedom could be the dividing factor between what is acceptable and what is not for some people.

To me the anonymous aspect means very little.
First let me say thanks for talking with me. I love a good debate. You never really know what you can learn from people. But to your question, Google does not currently allow you to opt out of certain sections. In terms of Google Now, you can opt out of all or nothing. However, you can download a copy of everything they have on you and delete it all forever if you so please. I really like MS's planned notebook feature because i feel that it's forward thinking and that it gives privacy conscious users a choice whereas with Google it's all or nothing.

Ivin Laney

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site

Finally someone understands me!!! ;)

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
First let me say thanks for talking with me. I love a good debate. You never really know what you can learn from people. But to your question, Google does not currently allow you to opt out of certain sections. In terms of Google Now, you can opt out of all or nothing. However, you can download a copy of everything they have on you and delete it all forever if you so please. I really like MS's planned notebook feature because i feel that it's forward thinking and that it gives privacy conscious users a choice whereas with Google it's all or nothing.

Hey no thanks necessary, I too like a good conversation, debate or otherwise. Apologies if I seemed a bit dismissive at first, there have been a few people on these forums recently that seem less than genuine with their intentions here.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the hypocrisy is that both Google and MS's ToC say pretty much the same thing (not specific to Cortana either).

I have read both. I disagree. The differences in wording are not large, but what those small differences imply is significant.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have read both. I disagree. The differences in wording are not large, but what those small differences imply is significant.

That sums up my position that I was trying to make clear earlier. The differences may not seem large, but if you know how to read things carefully and know what words actually mean, in a legal sense, it becomes very apparent that there are actually profound differences.

That was my intent for at least the portions I wrote.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Dude, off topic, but I was reading comments on other websites and man people really hate on MS. Kind of crazy. Anyways, well, lost that thought. Lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte