Universal voice to text?

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am extremely surprised that there has been no hint of adding a "microphone" key to the keyboard, or something similar along those lines that allows the user to use voice/speech-to-text universally across the OS, when inputting text.

This is a critical feature that has been implemented for years on Android and iOS.

Maybe I've missed something and this has been talked about? Thoughts?

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I know currently applications have to physically add an icon to the action bar, but that's completely ridiculous. The OS keyboard should have a button so you can dictate text by voice anywhere, at any time you're using a keyboard to input text.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I know currently applications have to physically add an icon to the action bar, but that's completely ridiculous. The OS keyboard should have a button so you can dictate text by voice anywhere, at any time you're using a keyboard to input text.

so I don't like the idea of having this on the keyboard (especially if they are going to implement a swype style keyboard) but I like the location on the task bar. I think to keep with how it is now (I love the keyboard layout), by default whenever the keyboard appears it should have the taskbar, even if nothing else is implemented and allow to swipe up for the microphone for voice. That is how I would prefer it personally.

avazee

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That's a great way to implement it, I like that idea.

WPCentral team, anyone have any insight on if this will be coming in the 8.1 release? Please give us good news...

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This hasn't been reported on and it may not be in. It may be best to implement a uservoice (or see if one exists already and vote on that) on the windows phone page and try to get it in for a future patch.. but at least bring it to their attention. based on the leaks, it seems a lot of the requests from uservoice have been implemented in 8.1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3