04-04-2014 12:43 PM
44 12
tools
    The download will still be optional once it's out. It hits the phone just like any other OTA update.
    03-05-2014 04:49 PM
    Yes Kage, that's was what I was asking and thanx for answering.

Sent from my Mighty Redhand.
    03-05-2014 11:56 PM
    That is correct. You will be notified you have an update, and can decide weather you want to take it or not
    The system will warn you that once you take the update you can not revert back to a previous update.
    Resetting the phone will keep the existing latest update. No going backwards.

But, I set my phone to not Automatically Download updates in the Phone Update Settings.
    You can disable the Dev Preview using the Preview for Developers App
    You will not be notified (to my knowledge) of when a preview is available
    So, if you want to avoid any preview updates, just turn that off and you should not get notified.
    kmji1957 and prasath1234 like this.
    03-09-2014 06:17 PM
    Check out WP 8.1 Preview app for Windows Phone

WP 8.1 Preview | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

WP 8.1 Preview app brings you the details about latest features that comes with forthcoming update.

Windows Phone 8.1, codenamed ‘Blue’, is a forthcoming milestone update to the Microsoft Windows Phone operating system. It is expected to be announced at Microsoft’s Build 2014 conference in April.

A 'developer preview' program, akin to Update 3, is expected to be announced at Build, with immediate availability for the general public.

All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update.
    Surely hope so cause that is what I have
    03-13-2014 05:18 PM
    The only problem I have had using it to update my 810 is the new option to turn off key vibrations does not work.
    03-15-2014 09:51 AM
    Don't install the Dev Preview update the day it's released. Wait a week and see if crashes are reported, if not then updating should be fine.
    Just hold the temptation for a week, though it'll be hard :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    This seems like really good advice. I held off on GDR3 and waited to see what everyone was reporting. I did the update when I was satisfied the update wasn't borking everyone's phones. Waiting for that first few days will be difficult though.
    03-16-2014 11:51 AM
    Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks
    I signed up for developer preview for GDR3 for my old 928 and it worked just fine. This not the same as installing a new ROM on Android. It will come straight from MSFT, not a 3rd party. I'm looking forward to getting 8.1 on my Icon in a couple of weeks.
    03-16-2014 07:10 PM
    If you install the app after the update is released to "devs", can you still get the update? For instance, a couple of days later. Should I just get the process going now?
    03-17-2014 03:03 PM
    If you install the app after the update is released to "devs", can you still get the update? For instance, a couple of days later. Should I just get the process going now?
    Yeah you can wait. I didn't install the app until I was ready to update, but I'm guessing it doesn't really matter. If you install the app now, it will just sit there until the dev update gets released. The unlock procedure wasn't very hard to do. Only took a half hour or so.
    03-17-2014 05:47 PM
    Did they release the dev preview for Windows phone 8?
    03-19-2014 01:29 PM
    No since there was no phone to update to 8.
    03-19-2014 04:11 PM
    Don't install the Dev Preview update the day it's released. Wait a week and see if crashes are reported, if not then updating should be fine.
    Just hold the temptation for a week, though it'll be hard :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    I feel like we don't need to wait THAT long. A day should be plenty.
    03-20-2014 09:50 AM
    Will nokia exclusive apps still work if I switch to the developer preview?
    03-25-2014 12:37 PM
    No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
    I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
    I will be posting about it when that happens.
    I am not talking about software issues - what if suddenly my phone starts showing abnormal behavior? Or the physical keys stop working? I am a student, can't afford a new phone within a few months of buying a phone. Sorry, can't risk it.
    03-25-2014 01:06 PM
    I am not talking about software issues - what if suddenly my phone starts showing abnormal behavior? Or the physical keys stop working? I am a student, can't afford a new phone within a few months of buying a phone. Sorry, can't risk it.
    A very wise decision.
    Your not alone, i am curious but not that curious.
    But it seems that we have to wait a little longer.

For the Nokia natives apps, we cant tel just speculate
    Any gues is as good as mine.
    03-25-2014 08:35 PM
    By then it will be full release.
    The point of Dev Preview is to have it early, so you can test your apps before it goes out to everyone. There is no difference between Dev Preview and what gets released to the public.
    03-26-2014 05:33 AM
    I hav L 1320 . I bought it only before 1 month. Actually i bought it for WP8.1 update. But now, I think it will take more time for official Updates from nokia.
    I want WP8.1
    My questions;
    (1) Does GDR3 void Nokia warranty or not ?
    (2) If it void warranty ,and after official updates, I will get back warranty or not ?
    Please give me Detailed advice
    Only experts advice welcomes
    Thanks in advance
    04-04-2014 12:04 PM
    Dev preview app, wp central say that it may void your warrenty. I contacted Nokia about it and they confirmed it. As much as I want to upgrade with dev preview, i wont. I cant risk it.
    This is a false statement. I have had my 928 replaced under the warranty, while running GDR3 preview.

If I understand your question correctly, after you dev-unlock your phone, you shouldn't have to do anything else. I don't believe you can revert your phone back either, it will remain unlocked, so you should get the 8.1 update once it's available.
    Correct. But you'll want to check for updates once you read that the update is available. The phone only checks for updates once a week.
    Please put all preview questions in the following thread after reading at least the first post in the thread.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/win...t-exactly.html
44 12