Developer preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

weedog1889

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
What MS sends out for the dev preview should be the final build, it's just one way for them to get around the carrier certification process.

IIRC depending on the carrier, dev-unlocking your phone may void your warranty, but I didn't have an issue trading in my 928 when I ran into issues.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
IIRC depending on the carrier, dev-unlocking your phone may void your warranty, but I didn't have an issue trading in my 928 when I ran into issues.

I doubt that has even ever happened and service center employees typically could care less unless the customer is being rude to them or lying about how the phone got damaged.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The rumors are we may have the dev preview in early April after it is announced.

It may be a smart idea for MS to do this ASAP to get developers interested.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks

I did with GDR3 on my ATIV S, it would black screen after a factory reset but that seems to be due to an incompatibility with the firmware that has since been corrected with the latest firmware update.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So dev preview for amber for black will be the same for 8.1? There won't be another one to preview and we just keep this one?

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Dev preview app, wp central say that it may void your warrenty. I contacted Nokia about it and they confirmed it. As much as I want to upgrade with dev preview, i wont. I cant risk it.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
So dev preview for amber for black will be the same for 8.1? There won't be another one to preview and we just keep this one?

No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
This is only for the MS Windows Phone Update. So, Windows Phone 8.1 is an MS update only, not much to do if anything with nokia really.
Amber and Black were from Nokia,,, GDR2 was from MS that came along with Amber I believe,,, GDR3 was from MS that did come along side Black update
There is not an update from Nokia in the WP8.1 update that I am aware of. (like Amber or Black)

When you get the Preview,, it pretty much is what will be sent out to all carriers I believe. So, correct, unless there is some sort of last minute change
and the carrier releases that change, you would get the updated change, but I do not think you would get the update again from preview otherwise.
But I am not 100% certain on that.

Dev preview app, wp central say that it may void your warrenty. I contacted Nokia about it and they confirmed it. As much as I want to upgrade with dev preview, i wont. I cant risk it.

I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
I will be posting about it when that happens.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but how do you know that an unannounced product that may or may not be available via Microsoft as a preview will kill your phone? No offense but you have a total of three posts and have already managed to take an OS that is not even available, and probably will not be for some time, and put a massive negative spin on it. You could have just as easily dropped the drama and asked if anyone could explain how the developers preview program works. Instead, you tell the world in "simple terms" that something with which you have no experience will kill your phone.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

how long have you had your phone for?

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
About 6 months , my first foray into wp and loving it loving my 925 its gotta be 1 of the best out there for sure

Mine is already out of warranty so an easier decision. I thought if the dev preview crashes your phone you'll be able to recover it and flash a brand new rom.

weedog1889

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks borasar, and the rest of you guys for the info. One last question if something did go wrong(which seems unlikely thanks to your info), is it an easy job to flash my rom (lol at thoughts in my head) or would i be better off with a repair shop

troylytle

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks borasar, and the rest of you guys for the info. One last question if something did go wrong(which seems unlikely thanks to your info), is it an easy job to flash my rom (lol at thoughts in my head) or would i be better off with a repair shop

I didn't have any problem with the gdr3 install through developer preview on 6 devices. I would say you are safe but the flashing process is about the backup more than anything. Everything else is easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss