Developer preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks borasar, and the rest of you guys for the info. One last question if something did go wrong(which seems unlikely thanks to your info), is it an easy job to flash my rom (lol at thoughts in my head) or would i be better off with a repair shop

Depends what phone you have, I had to send my ATIV S into a service centre to be reflashed as Samsung don't provide stock ROMs or flashing tools. Nokia does provide a way to flash your phone to get it working again.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have any problem with the gdr3 install through developer preview on 6 devices. I would say you are safe but the flashing process is about the backup more than anything. Everything else is easy.
yes make sure you back-up stuff, regardless of whether the phone will be flashed by you or fixed through a warranty process.

honeyrapper

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks

Don't install the Dev Preview update the day it's released. Wait a week and see if crashes are reported, if not then updating should be fine.
Just hold the temptation for a week, though it'll be hard :p

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
This is only for the MS Windows Phone Update. So, Windows Phone 8.1 is an MS update only, not much to do if anything with nokia really.
Amber and Black were from Nokia,,, GDR2 was from MS that came along with Amber I believe,,, GDR3 was from MS that did come along side Black update
There is not an update from Nokia in the WP8.1 update that I am aware of. (like Amber or Black)

When you get the Preview,, it pretty much is what will be sent out to all carriers I believe. So, correct, unless there is some sort of last minute change
and the carrier releases that change, you would get the updated change, but I do not think you would get the update again from preview otherwise.
But I am not 100% certain on that.

I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
I will be posting about it when that happens.

I meant gdr3, sorry. Which is what I did as well on my 928, but since I have the app do I leave it how it is or switch it to off. And if it's on will the preview go through that same app as well?

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I meant gdr3, sorry. Which is what I did as well on my 928, but since I have the app do I leave it how it is or switch it to off. And if it's on will the preview go through that same app as well?

If I understand your question correctly, after you dev-unlock your phone, you shouldn't have to do anything else. I don't believe you can revert your phone back either, it will remain unlocked, so you should get the 8.1 update once it's available.

Tepid

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That is correct. You will be notified you have an update, and can decide weather you want to take it or not
The system will warn you that once you take the update you can not revert back to a previous update.
Resetting the phone will keep the existing latest update. No going backwards.

But, I set my phone to not Automatically Download updates in the Phone Update Settings.
You can disable the Dev Preview using the Preview for Developers App
You will not be notified (to my knowledge) of when a preview is available
So, if you want to avoid any preview updates, just turn that off and you should not get notified.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Check out WP 8.1 Preview app for Windows Phone

WP 8.1 Preview | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

WP 8.1 Preview app brings you the details about latest features that comes with forthcoming update.

Windows Phone 8.1, codenamed ‘Blue’, is a forthcoming milestone update to the Microsoft Windows Phone operating system. It is expected to be announced at Microsoft’s Build 2014 conference in April.

A 'developer preview' program, akin to Update 3, is expected to be announced at Build, with immediate availability for the general public.

All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update.

Surely hope so cause that is what I have

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Don't install the Dev Preview update the day it's released. Wait a week and see if crashes are reported, if not then updating should be fine.

This seems like really good advice. I held off on GDR3 and waited to see what everyone was reporting. I did the update when I was satisfied the update wasn't borking everyone's phones. Waiting for that first few days will be difficult though.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i just installed the developer preview thing for when 8.1 gets released, but read the program can kill your phone then your screwed (<< in simple terms)... Question is does anyone normally have problems from the previews, thanks

I signed up for developer preview for GDR3 for my old 928 and it worked just fine. This not the same as installing a new ROM on Android. It will come straight from MSFT, not a 3rd party. I'm looking forward to getting 8.1 on my Icon in a couple of weeks.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
If you install the app after the update is released to "devs", can you still get the update? For instance, a couple of days later. Should I just get the process going now?

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If you install the app after the update is released to "devs", can you still get the update? For instance, a couple of days later. Should I just get the process going now?
Yeah you can wait. I didn't install the app until I was ready to update, but I'm guessing it doesn't really matter. If you install the app now, it will just sit there until the dev update gets released. The unlock procedure wasn't very hard to do. Only took a half hour or so.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site

I feel like we don't need to wait THAT long. A day should be plenty.

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No, this does not involve the Amber/Black/etc updates from Nokia or carrier
I did the GDR3 update through the Preview and had no issues. I will be doing the WP8.1 update as well.
I will be posting about it when that happens.
I am not talking about software issues - what if suddenly my phone starts showing abnormal behavior? Or the physical keys stop working? I am a student, can't afford a new phone within a few months of buying a phone. Sorry, can't risk it.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I am not talking about software issues - what if suddenly my phone starts showing abnormal behavior? Or the physical keys stop working? I am a student, can't afford a new phone within a few months of buying a phone. Sorry, can't risk it.

A very wise decision.
Your not alone, i am curious but not that curious.
But it seems that we have to wait a little longer.

For the Nokia natives apps, we cant tel just speculate
Any gues is as good as mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte