Drop down menu? Why?

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Drop down menu? Why? App folder works fine for all the settings needs. Volume control yes. I think it will over complicate the UI. I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No.

App folder does not work fine for quick settings. Your "drop down menu" is primarily a notification centre. You know, a feature that other platforms have had for years? It can catch missed toast notifications, or allow developers to push their notifications straight to it rather than annoying the user with toasts.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
No.

App folder does not work fine for quick settings. Your "drop down menu" is primarily a notification centre. You know, a feature that other platforms have had for years? It can catch missed toast notifications, or allow developers to push their notifications straight to it rather than annoying the user with toasts.

Dont you think that would defeat the purpose of the tiles? Being live. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Never really liked it on the droids.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I rather dropdown, click wifi icon, dragup then

Open app folder, open wifi settings, turn off wifi, close settings, close appfolder.

To turn off wifi

DonnaxNL

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
I too don't like the idea of a drop down menu, why can't MS make it a swipe right to reveal the notification center

The notification center need to be accessible from everywhere, not only the Start Screen. And since apps already uses swipe moves (both left and right), it will not work in apps.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Because why not? It's the best solution we have as of right now. Maybe in a future you will be able to reach notification center via hardware button

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Dont you think that would defeat the purpose of the tiles? Being live. I guess I'll have to wait and see. Never really liked it on the droids.
This is a fair question. What I think will end up happening is that tiles will be de-emphasised for some purposes and will become more focused for others. You can consider the difference between push and pull:

• Push – toast notifications / notification centre. A circumstance or entity requires the information to be surfaced to the user. A contact may have sent an IM or text, there might be an urgent weather warning, or a background download just completed. If important enough, you can show a toast notification (which can go to the notification centre if missed), else send it straight to the centre.
  • Pull – live tiles. The user will seek out the information when desired. You can provide a nice graphical representation of this information on a tile. Weather forecast, calendar agenda for the next week, news articles, YouTube videos.
There are also some other situations where one makes more sense than the other. A notification centre may be more flexible around interacting with notifications and displaying a larger amount of textual information. Tiles still allow features like deep linking, which allows you to pin a particular point in an application to your start screen – your favourite artist, a YouTube channel, etc. And when there are notifications in the centre, you could still include a numeric counter on your tile to let users know.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
This is a fair question. What I think will end up happening is that tiles will be de-emphasised for some purposes and will become more focused for others. You can consider the difference between push and pull:

• Push ? toast notifications / notification centre. A circumstance or entity requires the information to be surfaced to the user. A contact may have sent an IM or text, there might be an urgent weather warning, or a background download just completed. If important enough, you can show a toast notification (which can go to the notification centre if missed), else send it straight to the centre.
  • Pull ? live tiles. The user will seek out the information when desired. You can provide a nice graphical representation of this information on a tile. Weather forecast, calendar agenda for the next week, news articles, YouTube videos.
There are also some other situations where one makes more sense than the other. A notification centre may be more flexible around interacting with notifications and displaying a larger amount of textual information. Tiles still allow features like deep linking, which allows you to pin a particular point in an application to your start screen ? your favourite artist, a YouTube channel, etc. And when there are notifications in the centre, you could still include a numeric counter on your tile to let users know.

Heard. Just got schooled on that. Appreciate the information. I guess I just got used to the system and really wanted it to work. Its also the other variables, such as non windows users constantly hating on the OS. It became more of a defense mechanism. Retarded. I know. Anyways, thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa