Wp 8.1 update news

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Release date for existing Lumia phone's

There's several rumours but nothing confirmed. It could either be a long wait or a short one. Also in some cases carriers are the real road block

At this stage it's after BUILD. That's all we know for certain. I've heard the dev preview could be shortly after.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
does effect the actual update?

No, if MS handles 8.1 the same way they handled GDR3, we should receive the same update that is being sent out to the carriers for certification. The only thing we won't get with the preview program is any manufacturer specific firmware updates. So while I was able to get GDR3 early on my 928, I still had to wait for Nokia's Black update to be certified and pushed to my phone.

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
No, if MS handles 8.1 the same way they handled GDR3, we should receive the same update that is being sent out to the carriers for certification. The only thing we won't get with the preview program is any manufacturer specific firmware updates. So while I was able to get GDR3 early on my 928, I still had to wait for Nokia's Black update to be certified and pushed to my phone.

Oh...For....Sho...Chee...

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You also forgot to mention that you also have the honor to do the first bughunts.
Because its the first ( preview ) release of the update, there is alway's a chanche that not all works like intended.
So its not 100% without risk.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
You also forgot to mention that you also have the honor to do the first bughunts.
Because its the first ( preview ) release of the update, there is alway's a chanche that not all works like intended.
So its not 100% without risk.

There is never a 100% chance software will be bug free. Unless MS changes how they send out this update, what we receive through the preview program should be what they send to the carriers for certification. So it's not like we're beta testing the update.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
So it's not like we're beta testing the update.
I believe you mis the point why they spread the developers preview and call it the developerspreview.
Its the "naked" version of the os, so that developers can use it as a testdrive ( not only the os but also for there apps ) before the regulair update.
Thats why you need a developersaccount, if it wheren't than they just aswel can put it in the store for the mainstream to use.
It was alsno never the intention of MS that the mainstream already had the GDR3 update before the official release.
Therefore it's uncertan if they wil do it again at the same way, but thats a educated guess.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe you mis the point why they spread the developers preview and call it the developerspreview.
Its the "naked" version of the os, so that developers can use it as a testdrive ( not only the os but also for there apps ) before the regulair update.
Thats why you need a developersaccount, if it wheren't than they just aswel can put it in the store for the mainstream to use.
It was alsno never the intention of MS that the mainstream already had the GDR3 update before the official release.
Therefore it's uncertan if they wil do it again at the same way, but thats a educated guess.

IIRC at the WP8 unveiling MS publicly announced that they would have a way for people to update their phone without awaiting carrier approval. It took a while to get here but the Preview app is their answer. They made it easy for the typical user to make an account and register it. It's an enthusiast program disguised as a dev program. I understand the intent is for developers to test drive the new OS for their apps, but that doesn?t mean we are getting a beta or unfinished version of the update. Again, IF it?s anything like the GDR3 roll out, what we get in the preview program should be the same update sent out to carriers for certification.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I dont said its beta ;-)
But there where slite diverance between the developers preview and the socalled official release.
At first the dev preview came out, shortley after all the users who installed the preview had another update.....if they where the same why the changes?
If that version was ready for the mainstream, then why the extra update?
In the first release there where some imperfections.....buggs.
I had them to, but after the second release they were gone.
Remember the smal pictograms under the " back" button.
Just tiny details but still.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon