WP8.1 : Features you want the most

Murthy Dhavala

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I want Say Caller's Name, Direct 3G Video calling instead of Skype Video Chatting, Mobile Data On/Off in notification centre, 3G Toggle on/OFF, Analogue Clock in HOme Screen TILEs,

samjag123

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: 4k Video

Hey can someone tell me that if i upgrade to developers version of WP 8.1, can I be able to upgrade to the original version of WP 8.1 without any problems?
Also tell me if there are any major issues :S
I am using a Lumia 520

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me or would sorting apps in full list by folders for app type not be useful. So internet apps would auto go into internet folder and camera in camera and so on based on where they get approved for in the store. Just my idea. I have over 80 apps installed and letters work but categories would be cool too.

andorious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
1.Tiles that are custom resizable or at least have options to make them vertical cause I have had situations where I just want a tile to stretch down instead of sideways.
2. Landscape mode for like the home screen and when its in landscape mode it can probably look something like windows 8 PC
3. Better "Battery Saver" app that shows how much battery the screen, GPS and even wifi uses.
3b. Better power saving modes. Probably even let the phone be downclocked and make the system completely greyscale.
4. Face lock
4b. More ways to lock the phone. Unique too don't want something that android or ios already has like pattern etc.
That's all I have for now I guess

andorious

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
OH YES I NEED THIS. A force 3g lock cause it keep looking for whichever one has the best signal ( obviously 2g). And ik its not the network cause other phones (blackberry, iPhone, galaxy) get 4g/3g where I am. So it would be good if u can force the phone to only connect to 3g/4g. This feature is on all other OS

Zsolto

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I know the guys at MS are not using WP8 phones of if they do they don't listen to music on them but I would love an _automatic_ "Recently Added" playlist (if you don't know what that does try an Android phone with Player Pro). And also please add the ability of the music player app to read "album artist" id tags. This way the app would be able to play an entire album that has several various artists playing in it -- and play it at one press of the Play button. What I have now is a list of songs under the album name with as many separate tracks as there are artists playing the various songs. (If you don't get what I mean think of a "Best Of" compilation -- no, you cannot play it on WP8 now. Yes, you need to press Play for each individual song. No, WP8 does not know what an album artist id tag is.).

And when I am really high on some funny stuff I dream of streaming albums from my OneDrive folders. Why, just why is that not possible?

Really, the music playing feature in WP8.1 sucks big-big time. And anyone suggesting I use a "dedicated" media player should think again.

Kinez

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
So, why do apps like facebook, viber, whatsapp etc. don't remove message count from live tile when i remove messages from notifications, like default SMS does?
It does't make any sense, at least for me to swipe down notifications, see a short message (ok,bye,lol etc.), remove notification and then have to open the app anyway in order to mark it as read.
SMS does this fine, so can they implement it in other aps or are devs just slow and lazy? I was waiting for an update to fix this, now 8.1 is out (for people who bought 630 at least), and still nothing. So is it possible at all?

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So, why do apps like facebook, viber, whatsapp etc. don't remove message count from live tile when i remove messages from notifications, like default SMS does?
It does't make any sense, at least for me to swipe down notifications, see a short message (ok,bye,lol etc.), remove notification and then have to open the app anyway in order to mark it as read.
SMS does this fine, so can they implement it in other aps or are devs just slow and lazy? I was waiting for an update to fix this, now 8.1 is out (for people who bought 630 at least), and still nothing. So is it possible at all?

The apps would (most likely) be optimized after the global release of wp8.1

UCYIWORK

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

I don't have the issue. I agree with meddyrainzo: "The apps would (most likely) be optimized after the global release of wp8.1"

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
There are several settings in WP that need to be improved:

Language and region need to be combined into a single control panel, so you don't have to restart your phone TWICE as you currently do - first to change the language and then to change the region. I guess a lot of people don't change their phone language or region very often, but for those of us who do, this is a real pain. And you should be able to select a language, rather than have to move it to the top of a list.

Once installed, all apps should update automatically to the latest version regardless of what language or region your phone is set to. And anyone who has apps from more than one country (e.g. newspaper apps) will run into this problem sooner or later. Some apps won't update until the phone is set to a particular system language/region/format. This is completely stupid, and a potential security risk by leaving buggy apps in place.

And (like in desktop Windows) there should be a way of choosing preferred date, time, paper, currency, and measurement formats without having to choose from a list of country settings. I'm happy with US English, but prefer the metric system, 24-hour time, and the 20 June 1999 long and 1999-06-20 short date formats, for example, but WP won't let me do this...

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
There are several settings in WP that need to be improved:

Language and region need to be combined into a single control panel, so you don't have to restart your phone TWICE as you currently do - first to change the language and then to change the region. I guess a lot of people don't change their phone language or region very often, but for those of us who do, this is a real pain.

Would that work for regions that have multiple languages, ie. the UK?

sidn625

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
1) Multiple msg selection and deletion in a single thread.
2) The new cursor sucks.
3) In the alarms app, you can set 32 alarms. After changing a previously set alarm, when you press back you are directed to the top of the page, and you have to scroll all the way down to change another alarm. Its not a big deal, but gets very annoying for me, as I have to continuosly change alarms.
3) While sharing files, toast notification as well as notification in the action centre.
4) When downloading file, notification in action centre.
5) Setting menu is very inconvenient to use.
6) Categorization in app section.
7) Pattern Unlock.
8) Changing Bluetooth name.
9) More colour option for highlighting in Onenote.
10) Direct Jump to Number dialer option.

Motel75

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Would that work for regions that have multiple languages, ie. the UK?

I don't see why not - it would be the same as it is now, just in a single control panel, rather than in two separate ones. That would mean you would probably have three choices:

Box 1: Language (you could choose e.g. Welsh from a list of installed languages)
Box 2: Country (select UK)
Box 3: Regional format: (select Welsh) - but it would be great if MS added a way to customize this to allow things like preferred date settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99