WP 8.1 Update process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Rapavy

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,,
Does anyone know how the update process of 8.1 will work? Will Microsoft do over the air update directly to all handsets or the update will be distributed to likes of Nokia, HTC and they will do the update? Because I'm kind of sick and tired of waiting for updates from Nokia. I've lumia 620 and I had to wait 4 months for amber update to be available in my region and now I'm the last one to get Black (although I'm not sure if they'll be able to release it before 8.1). Basically everywhere in europe the Black update is "waiting for approval" last few months:(

cheers:)
Martin

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Our only real precedent for this was the WP 7.5 update, which rolled out pretty much like every other update. Microsoft RTMed the update, and then it was up to the manufacturer and carrier to release the update. Unless Microsoft's biggest surprise for 8.1 is releasing it independently of the carrier and manufacturer, I think you're in for the same scenario.

Stadifer

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Rumor has it that you should also be able to grab the 8.1 update via the Preview for Developers app around the Build conference. Which means WP 8.1 goodies but no vendor optimization so everything may not work 100% correct. Should be interesting to see if that actually happens.

I've managed to pickup most the GDR releases via the preview app without a hitch and then later on got the vendor/carrier firmware updates tacked onto the GDR OTA release.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way how get Developer Preview of 8.1 (2 nd April) without paying for dev acc ? Or is there any free DevAccount ?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
First of all, forget the term "over the air". It means nothing in this context.

Second, yes, technically it will work the same. Without signing up for the free developer preview program, you will still wait for your device's OEM and your carrier to sign off.

MS desperately needs to reduce the scope of what necessitates a firmware update. Nothing that Nokia develops should require a carrier certified firmware update. Nothing that users directly interact with should be embedded in the firmware either.

Unfortunately, this doesn't get the attention it deserves on uservoice. Apparently too technical. :-/

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Ok thanks, another question - If i update to this "beta" and dont like it, can i reverse back via Nokia Suite ? (Flash "Black" update)

And if i update to preview , i will have also Nokia apps ? or it will by like non-nokia device ? (I mean, will I have everything like now but with 8.1 features added) And what about Nokia Waranty ?

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok thanks, another question - If i update to this "beta" and dont like it, can i reverse back via Nokia Suite ? (Flash "Black" update)

And if i update to preview , i will have also Nokia apps ? or it will by like non-nokia device ? (I mean, will I have everything like now but with 8.1 features added) And what about Nokia Waranty ?

think of the preview as early access to an OTA update. It will effectively be a finished product, and the "preview" disguise is just a way for MS to deliver updates to their customers despite carrier restrictions.

You'd be insane to want to downgrade, but I don't see why you can't flash an older ROM.

Martin Rapavy

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys, thanks for the answers. I think I'm definitely going to sign up for the developer preview program. I'm not willing to wait for 8.1 update till december:(

Martin

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
think of the preview as early access to an OTA update. It will effectively be a finished product, and the "preview" disguise is just a way for MS to deliver updates to their customers despite carrier restrictions.

You'd be insane to want to downgrade, but I don't see why you can't flash an older ROM.

Flash a rom= AKA Hard Reset Phone.

As it might be possible to roll back via flashing a ROM, you will lose all your data on your phone (mostly app settings and game saves)

That is something to keep in mind..

but, I also agree, you'd be insane to want to go back with all the features that are coming, it could only make Windows Phone better...

pedrodg28

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have this question: I have my Lumia 520 with gdr3 developer preview, in the case of Microsoft releasing a dev preview for WP 8.1 will i be able to update my phone, or will i need to flash Lumia black to my phone and then update it? My mobile carrier is the only one in the country that has the Lumia 520 and it won't release the black update any time soon, except for the 1020 all of their WP are waiting for approval in the Nokia page. Thanks

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,,
Does anyone know how the update process of 8.1 will work? Will Microsoft do over the air update directly to all handsets or the update will be distributed to likes of Nokia, HTC and they will do the update? Because I'm kind of sick and tired of waiting for updates from Nokia. I've lumia 620 and I had to wait 4 months for amber update to be available in my region and now I'm the last one to get Black (although I'm not sure if they'll be able to release it before 8.1). Basically everywhere in europe the Black update is "waiting for approval" last few months:(

cheers:)
Martin

That issue that you're talking about isn't really much an OEM issue (manufacturer). The slow rollouts are usually due to regulatory and/or carrier testing issues...which can slowdown the rollouts of specific devices quite a bit sometimes.

As regards slowness in Black rolling out in Europe....well my first line answers that pretty much. Tons of people have Black...but it depends on which device, which carrier, and which region.

Microsoft doesn't have enough clout in the mobile space at this moment to push their weight around like Apple to get updates sent out in a timely manner.

I have this question: I have my Lumia 520 with gdr3 developer preview, in the case of Microsoft releasing a dev preview for WP 8.1 will i be able to update my phone, or will i need to flash Lumia black to my phone and then update it? My mobile carrier is the only one in the country that has the Lumia 520 and it won't release the black update any time soon, except for the 1020 all of their WP are waiting for approval in the Nokia page. Thanks

You should already be on GDR3 with the Dev Preview. Black is a firmware/settings update package.

So if they update the OS via the Dev Preview for 8.1 you will get the OS update just fine, but not likely an upgraded firmware/settings package unless Nokia provides one to them to include with the Dev Preview.

However, if Nokia does release an updated 'retail' firmware for your device it will be delivered normally outside of the Dev Preview lifecycle.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I still dont know 2 things:
1- I have L920. If I update via Dev Preview to WP8.1 ina April, will i have still Nokia exclusive apps etc ?
2- Will this void my warranty ? Tried someone RMA with dev preview installed ?

Jonas_H

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I still dont know 2 things:
1- I have L920. If I update via Dev Preview to WP8.1 ina April, will i have still Nokia exclusive apps etc ?
2- Will this void my warranty ? Tried someone RMA with dev preview installed ?

1. Yes, you will still have all the Nokia apps!

2. Also yes, unfortunately it will void your warranty. But when the 8.1 Update is officially released for everyone, nobody will notice that you had the preview before! ;) (When you delete the 'preview for devs' app, of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo