Best Windows phone concept?

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
After getting a Surface and getting used to Windows 8 touch gestures, it got me thinking how well it would work for mobile. Looking forward to Windows Phone 8.1, I think of how else it could be improved on, and what is in the future beyond 8.1. Turns out I'm not alone. Although I have seen concepts for Windows phone before, I've never seen any done more fluidly than this, and one that takes a lot of queues to how Windows 8 works with touch. With Windows phone and Windows RT soon to merge, I believe this to be the best idea yet, what say you?

Windows Phone 8.1 / 9.0 Concept UI - YouTube

**Note** You might want to mute it, it's some pretty horrible music.

Last edited:

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Geat !!! I really hope one time WP will look like this one concept ! Please MS give people what people want !!!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone Surface N aka WP Surface Nova Concept - YouTube

This concept always blew my mind. Right, things like the hologram projection are fantasy, but there are feasible features, like the emotion theme and the tile grouping.

This was the first concept I ever saw, and the notification bar (swiping to the left) was something i thought should have been implemented in 8.1. I, Like a lot, think a drop down bar similar to Android or IOS is silly for notification, considering Microsoft's big advertising on Live Tiles. For everything else though it makes sense to have a menu off to the left.

Andr3sfc

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
This was the first concept I ever saw, and the notification bar (swiping to the left) was something i thought should have been implemented in 8.1. I, Like a lot, think a drop down bar similar to Android or IOS is silly for notification, considering Microsoft's big advertising on Live Tiles. For everything else though it makes sense to have a menu off to the left.

The thing is that you can't access the notification center from everywhere with a "swipe to left" system. And the notifications would appear where? In a bar covering the left side of the screen?

Doing it "top-down" is simply more effective and intuitive. It doesn't matter if other OSs have this same approach. You can't be different just for the sake of being different. :)

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-5V7tZUL_4

This concept always blew my mind. Right, things like the hologram projection are fantasy, but there are feasible features, like the emotion theme and the tile grouping.

just seeing that beautiful full screen call screen and super active tiles makes me realize the little things MS can do to make WP more appealing. The call screen right now is so awful looking compared to other OS, and its little stuff like that.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Doing it "top-down" is simply more effective and intuitive. It doesn't matter if other OSs have this same approach. You can't be different just for the sake of being different. :)

I agree.
Mobile phones have had notifications at the top of the screen since they first appeared. It's simple and effective and I haven't seen anything better. I find it very strange that only Android does this properly for smart phones. iOS just wastes the space which could be used for notification icons, e.g. unread SMS, e-mail, etc.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that you can't access the notification center from everywhere with a "swipe to left" system. And the notifications would appear where? In a bar covering the left side of the screen?

You can still have the same thing from the left. A normal swipe from left won't open notifications, it will do what normal app or game gesture is. However, a big swipe from end to end left to right, will open the menu.

Swipe from any direction is a swipe. It doesn't matter - if it works from top, it can have exactly same mechanics and some to work from left. That notification screen from left is more informative and it is different - not just another Android follow up. When WP is doing everything different, it should be bold enough to risk a little more and be more different. We are humans, we aren't that limited in learning new things like 'Oh my new phone opens notifications from the left instead of top'

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
You beat me to it. Thats exactly what I was going to say. I honestly think app switching from the left would be the best feature, it works so well in Windows 8. IT becomes second nature to know what each corner of the screen does.

Andr3sfc

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Swipe from any direction is a swipe. It doesn't matter - if it works from top, it can have exactly same mechanics and some to work from left. That notification screen from left is more informative and it is different - not just another Android follow up. When WP is doing everything different, it should be bold enough to risk a little more and be more different. We are humans, we aren't that limited in learning new things like 'Oh my new phone opens notifications from the left instead of top'

It's just not wise. It isn't a matter of learning something new. It's a matter of practicality. If you already have a bar at the top of the screen that shows information like hour and battery 'percentage', it's just make sense that 1) notifications appear there too, and 2) swiping top-down shows the 'action center'.

Your left-to-right idea imply one of two things: 1) there would be a vertical bar at the left of the screen, or 2) even with the notifications appearing at the top bar, it would be required a left-to-right swipe to open the 'action center'. No matter which one you choose, it's counter-intuitive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077