04-17-2014 06:18 AM
126 12345 ...
tools
    Slider for brightness. Auto, Low, Medium and High isn't versatile enough imo.
    Anuj Jain likes this.
    03-10-2014 01:10 PM
    Slider for brightness. Auto, Low, Medium and High isn't versatile enough imo.
    Never understood this very well. Mine on auto adjust has always worked fine...
    sahib lopez likes this.
    03-10-2014 05:53 PM
    Reprogramable buttons, like the bingsearchbutton.
    I would like a option to switch that off, or to give it a other function.
    03-10-2014 09:48 PM
    I would like-
    - Option for voice input wherever text can be entered, right now it is not available OS wide.
    - Better Skype integration as mentioned earlier.
    - All the windows 8.1 like features as mentioned earlier, specially picture password, better store and app management
    - Any notification should be able to display on lock screen, not just the select 5 (already mentioned)
    - Music, timers, counters display/control directly from the home screen tiles (i.e. for music play/pause, skip buttons should be on home screen tile)
    - Ability to snap apps on top and bottom halves of the screen for dual app mode (for example, maps and messaging, Skype and onenote) (at least for phones with large screens)
    - Brightness control for physical buttons and windows key for notification reminder (already mentioned)
    - Better lockscreen (i.e. give more options like bing wallpaper of the day should be able to show weather too on the lock screen)
    Anuj Jain likes this.
    03-10-2014 10:55 PM
    Skype needs to do what google voice does
    03-10-2014 10:56 PM
    Think about it. Even after everything that's to come in WP8.1, it will be missing some staggering features that Apple has. Namely fingerprint unlock and beacons.
    03-10-2014 11:00 PM
    Think about it. Even after everything that's to come in WP8.1, it will be missing some staggering features that Apple has. Namely fingerprint unlock and beacons.
    Fingerprint unlock is something that I would prefer to not be on my phone.
    03-11-2014 12:27 AM
    I would say forgot this voice control stuff - fine for showing off in the pub, but not actually very useful. Instead, allow installation of third party keyboards. Swype really is great!
    A swype-like keyboard has been demonstrated on video already in 8.1.

And in reply to the thread, I would like the actionable notifications that I believe were in a previous build of WP8.1 (like if you swiped down on a text message toast you could quick-reply to it without opening the messaging app), more password options like alphanumeric, make apps designed for WP8.1 better optimised somehow so we don't get the freaking resuming dots on some apps, and preferably a Notification API that allows for first and third-party wearables/car systems to better integrate with the notification centre and/or Cortana
    03-11-2014 02:46 AM
    Left features lol first of all let the black update come for lumia 620. Useless windows phone everytime have to wait.
    03-11-2014 03:30 AM
    Fair point, but I also find the tiles tiring to look at. Years ago, I did a short design course in how to avoid making users sick. According to what we were told, lots of animation in unrelated places is particularly stressful for users - our brains are attracted to movement and lots of different movement happening at once is certainly not relaxing. It's like having several lions attacking you at once. :-)The large blocks of bright colours can also cause eyestrain.

I don't know how true this is, but I'd be interested to know if WP (and WinRT and Windows 8) users report higher levels of headaches, etc, than users of other UIs.
    only iOS 7 make that kind of sickness, not WP
    Himanshu Chowdhary and filfat like this.
    03-11-2014 03:33 AM
    only iOS 7 make that kind of sickness, not WP
    the new animations somehow made me puke , the new parallax effect , but now with the recent ios 7.1 update , I can disable them :)
    03-11-2014 03:45 AM
    I read on wpc forums here, someone had put a long long long list, and it included fingerprint scanner in wp8.1. Anyway, what i really want is actionable notifications...
    The resuming screen is going away for good because they've mentioned that its gonna be more like win8RT, with apps not being closed everytime. and also, in the videos by unleashthephones, i could see that in transitions, there's no longer a black screen before a transition starts, and that's cool because that means faster phone :)
    03-11-2014 04:02 AM
    Fair point, but I also find the tiles tiring to look at. Years ago, I did a short design course in how to avoid making users sick. According to what we were told, lots of animation in unrelated places is particularly stressful for users - our brains are attracted to movement and lots of different movement happening at once is certainly not relaxing. It's like having several lions attacking you at once. :-)The large blocks of bright colours can also cause eyestrain.

I don't know how true this is, but I'd be interested to know if WP (and WinRT and Windows 8) users report higher levels of headaches, etc, than users of other UIs.
    I would agree with that some but not as part of the live tiles. I think they nailed the design well on that. What does drive me crazy is when developers needlessly hide useful live tile data in rotation. One state has the live info and then another has nothing. It makes you have to wait to see what was there. I had one music app that would rotate between the active song and the pinned song/playlist. In rotation they could both look the same if pinned next to each other.

I uninstalled The Weather Channel app after they went to an ad provider that was using larger and moving ads. It was horrible.
    03-11-2014 05:48 AM
    To reiterate what some have mentioned already and then some:
    * picture password (even an option to sync with Ms account)
    * actionable notifications (if they aren't there now since rumored but not in SDK leak)
    * voice input os wide (I talked about this in another thread on the subject)
    * better Skype integration in the os
    * better office experience. (for example, seeing the redline changes, approve or reject then send back)
    * more app intercepts for tasks to support smartwatch, etch
    * better organized settings page (like how control panel is done in win8)
    * allow more than 1 app to hook into messenger app to really make a messenger hub.
    * flick for forward and back in IE like metro IE
    * create album in photos section.
    * unselect albums for show on live tile

I'm sure I could think of more too... I understand they can't do EVERYTHING for 8.1 but hopefully now that they are really catching up they can start innovating more as well as continuing to catch up on a faster schedule.
    Anuj Jain likes this.
    03-11-2014 07:24 AM
    * better organized settings page (like how control panel is done in win8)
    That could probably be accomplished through a simple 3rd party app. I think the action center will help some too since they can be pinned.

I agree with all the other points too.
    03-11-2014 07:37 AM
    Anyway, what i really want is actionable notifications...
    ***Shortened quote to make topic less cluttered*****
    phone :)
    I feel like a newbie now, but what are actionable notifications?
    03-11-2014 08:42 AM
    I feel like a newbie now, but what are actionable notifications?
    Notifications that allow you to react/respond directly, without launching the corresponding app.
    Anuj Jain likes this.
    03-11-2014 09:06 AM
    Hide albums/pictures
    03-11-2014 09:06 AM
    Notifications that allow you to react/respond directly, without launching the corresponding app.
    oh like whatsapp on Droid, count me in!
    Anuj Jain likes this.
    03-11-2014 09:13 AM
    I don't even understand the question. WTF is a left feature?
    03-11-2014 09:32 AM
    Notification light on windows key :) have it glow if you have it pulse if you have a notification
    03-11-2014 09:37 AM
    Notification light on windows key :) have it glow if you have it pulse if you have a notification
    same thing which i want :)
    taymur likes this.
    03-12-2014 06:21 AM
    I loved a feature in Symbian which was to read out the name of the person calling but I guess somehow its not available in WP.. I might be missing something.. Please correct me if i'm wrong.. and if it's not there in WP I'll love to have it!!!
    03-12-2014 06:25 AM
    I like this idea except they are removing the requirement for OEMs to have a physical button and the windows key is now in the OS nav bar so this wouldn't work on all phones. But otherwise I think it's a great idea (except I think Samsung phones don't have a button that could glow).
    03-12-2014 07:09 AM
    We have glance screen for that feature....just take your mobile out of your pocket and you can see the time as well as notifications....
    03-12-2014 07:16 AM
126 12345 ...