WP8.1: What is the left feature which you want in WP8.1??

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
A homescreen.For me to look at & just relax my eyes & not to constantly see the start screen filled with solid coloured tiles.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
It's the core of the OS. If you don't like it, you better start looking somewhere else... ;)

Fair point, but I also find the tiles tiring to look at. Years ago, I did a short design course in how to avoid making users sick. According to what we were told, lots of animation in unrelated places is particularly stressful for users - our brains are attracted to movement and lots of different movement happening at once is certainly not relaxing. It's like having several lions attacking you at once. :)The large blocks of bright colours can also cause eyestrain.

I don't know how true this is, but I'd be interested to know if WP (and WinRT and Windows 8) users report higher levels of headaches, etc, than users of other UIs.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Fair point, but I also find the tiles tiring to look at. Years ago, I did a short design course in how to avoid making users sick. According to what we were told, lots of animation in unrelated places is particularly stressful for users - our brains are attracted to movement and lots of different movement happening at once is certainly not relaxing. It's like having several lions attacking you at once. :)The large blocks of bright colours can also cause eyestrain.

I don't know how true this is, but I'd be interested to know if WP (and WinRT and Windows 8) users report higher levels of headaches, etc, than users of other UIs.

None whatsoever, to me it is the opposite of cluttered and resembles a more calm and easy take on things.
The tiles don't constantly spam or distract and I never had a headache from it ever

GuilhermeManso

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Everything that could be ported from Windows 8.1, specifically:

- Picture Password;
- Installed/Not Installed/ Apps List inside WP Store;
- The same Tools for Photo Edition;
- Settings Page complete reorganization.

And:
- More Quick Notifications (more than 5), swapping for show more;

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It's the core of the OS. If you don't like it, you better start looking somewhere else... ;)
I meant that I'm sick of the solid colours on the tiles, not the tiles themselves. Besides, no one is hurt on getting a homescreen. If you don't want it, just leave it alone. I have a nice collection of wallpapers but they are useless since I can see them only for a few seconds as the lock screen background.
Lastly, what kind of attitude is this? WP already has a small market share, and if you suggest the small group of users that are a part of the platform to look somewhere else,then how is that going to help the platform in any way? I did not say that I want Android apps or widgets that someone should tell me to switch to some other platform. However, If this kind of a response comes to me, then I'm totally ready to start looking somewhere else.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Everything that could be ported from Windows 8.1, specifically:

- Picture Password;
- Installed/Not Installed/ Apps List inside WP Store;
- The same Tools for Photo Edition;
- Settings Page complete reorganization.

And:
- More Quick Notifications (more than 5), swapping for show more;

Totally agree.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Also the lock screen should now be able to retrieve Notifications directly from the Action Center, meaning the pathetic 5 pre-set apps Notifications for the Lock Screen should disappear once and for all. This in combination with the advance Action Center we will get will make the "Notification Nightmare" of the platform a thing of the past.

And I am going to be fully happy when Windows 8 follows soon.

Awkanu

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about your phone, but on the 822, I just press and hold the previous (<<) or next (>>) button to rewind and fast forward...much better than a slider, IMO.

We don't think the same here... I listen to long Electro-House mix that have more than an hour, it's easier to go at 50 mins with a slider than with holding the buttons for me.

anon(5352534)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I would like-
- Option for voice input wherever text can be entered, right now it is not available OS wide.
- Better Skype integration as mentioned earlier.
- All the windows 8.1 like features as mentioned earlier, specially picture password, better store and app management
- Any notification should be able to display on lock screen, not just the select 5 (already mentioned)
- Music, timers, counters display/control directly from the home screen tiles (i.e. for music play/pause, skip buttons should be on home screen tile)
- Ability to snap apps on top and bottom halves of the screen for dual app mode (for example, maps and messaging, Skype and onenote) (at least for phones with large screens)
- Brightness control for physical buttons and windows key for notification reminder (already mentioned)
- Better lockscreen (i.e. give more options like bing wallpaper of the day should be able to show weather too on the lock screen)

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Think about it. Even after everything that's to come in WP8.1, it will be missing some staggering features that Apple has. Namely fingerprint unlock and beacons.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I would say forgot this voice control stuff - fine for showing off in the pub, but not actually very useful. Instead, allow installation of third party keyboards. Swype really is great!

A swype-like keyboard has been demonstrated on video already in 8.1.

And in reply to the thread, I would like the actionable notifications that I believe were in a previous build of WP8.1 (like if you swiped down on a text message toast you could quick-reply to it without opening the messaging app), more password options like alphanumeric, make apps designed for WP8.1 better optimised somehow so we don't get the freaking resuming dots on some apps, and preferably a Notification API that allows for first and third-party wearables/car systems to better integrate with the notification centre and/or Cortana

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

only iOS 7 make that kind of sickness, not WP

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99