Windows Phone 8.1 Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

maflynn

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
^^ Agreed, its a solid update that provides feature parity to iOS and Android. In some cases like Cortana, it exceeds the ability of Google and Siri.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm on WiFi now I downloaded the update and its preparing to install do I still need to be connected to WiFi for the rest of the process?
ququbavy.png

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok I'm on WiFi now I downloaded the update and its preparing to install do I still need to be connected to WiFi for the rest of the process?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
I don't know. I'm on my home network so I'm staying on WiFi for now. I'm in the middle of the second update.

midix

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
What is the difference between Developer preview 8.1 and the release to public/general availability 8.1 to be released maybe august?

In the official release there will be some new applications from Nokia - if you have a Nokia Lumia phone, that is - but these are mostly related to photo features. Also photo processing algoritms will be improved. And there might be some other small updates - maybe some driver fixes, some glitch fixes etc. for issues which they might discover from early testers - from us.

There have already been some reports that there are problems waking phone up. Look the review on Youtube "Windows Phone 8.1 Editorial Roundtable: Ask us anything!" by Pocketnow. Has anyone here experienced such issues?

And the official update won't void your warranty, in case you're still covered by official warranty from your carrier or phone manufacturer.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
All in all a brilliant update. I've seen that moving apps to SD card requires a class 6 (or 10?) memory card. Mine's a class 4 and it's working fine. Use Storage Sense to move your apps from the phone to the SD card. There's a multi-selector button at the bottom. Some won't move however but most seem to.

Cortana works great - UK user so had to set keyboard, location and speech to US English. Reigon format (like currency, date and time) work fine when set to English UK. Cortana is still there and being awesome.

Had to install the Facebook app to get the rest of my contacts back - go into People and you can install it straight from there and it will connect, restoring that previous functionality. While the People hub looks like it did in WP8, going into comments and photos just takes you straight into the FB app.. You might also find it useful to turn off message notifications in the FB app or you will just get duplicate notifications if you have Messenger installed too.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I saved an audio file with IE but can't find location to open the file. Help

Have you tried looking through the Music app? Perhaps Podcasts?

Also worth checking out: Search now also searches local files. Seems to be a hit or miss at the moment, but try typing in the name of the downloaded audio file, then swiping right to the "phone" pivot.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Think airplanes!!! Before any passenger gets on any commercial airplane they have to be tested first before being parked at any airport departure gate. So with that said it's the same thing with DP8.1 and WP8.1 release, the DP8.1 was one really for those people who would be creating and improving apps found on and new to the OS to test out to make sure that when it's time for us the public to get on that we have as enjoyable an experience as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte