03-24-2014 12:08 AM
48 12
tools
    Knowing Microsoft, it won't be a full blown product as we are all anticipating. It will be "it works, but..." and then wait for a few updates and probably by WP8.5 or WP9, these features will be exactly how you described and more. Alas! The competition would just keep moving ahead in that period.
    Yeah, they do tend to move bullet points from "present" to next release. I hope that now that we have a new commander, the devs will be more inclined to create NEW bullets for the NEW version. Yeah, wishful thinking right?
    03-15-2014 05:48 PM
    I think the main event will be cortana, and what can she do.

Then you will find people saying its "almost the perfect OS" but the app gap is still there.

I think April will be an amazing month. But why April 2nd, why not 1st?
    Do you really want this product to launch on April Fools Day?
    arifdanials likes this.
    03-16-2014 12:23 AM
    Do you really want this product to launch on April Fools Day?
    So? What's with that day?
    03-16-2014 06:33 AM
    I think the main event will be cortana, and what can she do.

Then you will find people saying its "almost the perfect OS" but the app gap is still there.

I think April will be an amazing month. But why April 2nd, why not 1st?
    You might be right, but Cortana is the thing I'm least excited by. I'm not the least bit interested in talking to my phone. It makes me ill when I see iSheep do it. "Siri, why am I so stupid I can't find an addrees without your help?"
    03-16-2014 08:48 AM
    I want to read OUR stories. Here at WPCentral. I already know the bulk of what the technically dishonest g-blogger class of talking microbes has to say and I'm sure they are already writing those stories ahead of the update. I want to read our stories after 8.1 takes off and the push for 8.2. Those I expect to be awesome.
    As do I. MS has a lot riding on this update and I hope it's a major success. I don't know how long it took you to come up with "technically dishonest g-blogger class of talking microbes" but whatever it was, it was worth it. I don't believe I've ever seen a more accurate description of the haters. Good job!
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-16-2014 08:57 AM
    So? What's with that day?
    Because of what Google has done, EVERYONE will think any product launched on this day is fake.
    taymur likes this.
    03-16-2014 09:39 AM
    Yeah, they do tend to move bullet points from "present" to next release. I hope that now that we have a new commander, the devs will be more inclined to create NEW bullets for the NEW version. Yeah, wishful thinking right?
    The opposite happened with 8.1 and Update 3. Exact opposite.

Those were minor changes, but still the opposite of what you said.
    03-16-2014 09:41 AM
    You might be right, but Cortana is the thing I'm least excited by. I'm not the least bit interested in talking to my phone. It makes me ill when I see iSheep do it. "Siri, why am I so stupid I can't find an addrees without your help?"
    I just want to talk to it while in my car (so that I don't crash my car), and while I'm in bed (because its amazing if she can set the alarm by its self). Other than that I'm fine, I guess.

*****most probably I won't use it in front of people, we are still in the age where society acceptance is a thing. Although I just thought of something, I think I can talk to a machine that looks like iRobot thing and not think of my self as an id iot. Weird.*******
    badcat and Joe920 like this.
    03-16-2014 10:43 AM
    I just want to talk to it while in my car (so that I don't crash my car), and while I'm in bed (because its amazing if she can set the alarm by its self). Other than that I'm fine, I guess.

*****most probably I won't use it in front of people, we are still in the age where society acceptance is a thing. Although I just thought of something, I think I can talk to a machine that looks like iRobot thing and not think of my self as an id iot. Weird.*******
    Yeah I guess there might be good uses for it, but for some reason I'm put off by it. Maybe I'm just too old... . I'm sure people will use it regardless of what I think. And they should.
    03-16-2014 11:31 AM
    This will be an update that pretty much catches up with the other two OS's in terms of the main features. The sorts of things that the majority of people use regularly. Which is very impressive considering how little resources MS put into mobile compared to the other two for such a long time. Feature parity is a big thing and considering the number of big new features coming to android and iOS seems to have slowed down recently, there is no reason why WP can't keep up and if we're lucky, overtake them.

However the biggest thing about this update isn't going to be any of the new features I don't think. Cortana might grab the headlines but it's going to be the lots and lots of little things that add up to make the whole thing just feel more polished. The things i'm looking forward to most are better background tasks, better multitasking, better notification system, better live tiles, better transitions and a more refined UI.

I compare this update to the upgrade from Android 2.3 to android 4.0. There weren't that many big new features, but it made android feel like it had reached maturity. I hope this will be the update that Windows Phone comes of age.
    03-16-2014 02:13 PM
    When will 8.1 drop? That's the $50K question. We know MS will unveil 8.1 for devs during BUILD next month, but it's only getting dropped to carriers by June/July and that means AT&T customers get it by December.
    03-16-2014 02:46 PM
    When will 8.1 drop? That's the $50K question. We know MS will unveil 8.1 for devs during BUILD next month, but it's only getting dropped to carriers by June/July and that means AT&T customers get it by December.
    Well, just like any other iteration of OS...im sure that MS would want to sell phones w/ 8.1 preinstalled first. I can honestly see them pushing 8.1 to existing devices about 3+months after 8.1 devices are on shelves.

But anyway, I have nothing to worry about since I'm in the dev preview program. 16 more days.
    Jazmac likes this.
    03-16-2014 02:52 PM
    Well, just like any other iteration of OS...im sure that MS would want to sell phones w/ 8.1 preinstalled first. I can honestly see them pushing 8.1 to existing devices about 3+months after 8.1 devices are on shelves.

But anyway, I have nothing to worry about since I'm in the dev preview program. 16 more days.
    ^5 Same here friend.
    03-16-2014 04:20 PM
    The opposite happened with 8.1 and Update 3. Exact opposite.

Those were minor changes, but still the opposite of what you said.
    Do tell.
    03-16-2014 04:22 PM
    This will be an update that pretty much catches up with the other two OS's in terms of the main features. The sorts of things that the majority of people use regularly. Which is very impressive considering how little resources MS put into mobile compared to the other two for such a long time. Feature parity is a big thing and considering the number of big new features coming to android and iOS seems to have slowed down recently, there is no reason why WP can't keep up and if we're lucky, overtake them.

However the biggest thing about this update isn't going to be any of the new features I don't think. Cortana might grab the headlines but it's going to be the lots and lots of little things that add up to make the whole thing just feel more polished. The things i'm looking forward to most are better background tasks, better multitasking, better notification system, better live tiles, better transitions and a more refined UI.

I compare this update to the upgrade from Android 2.3 to android 4.0. There weren't that many big new features, but it made android feel like it had reached maturity. I hope this will be the update that Windows Phone comes of age.
    wait, android went from 2.3 to 4?
    03-16-2014 05:42 PM
    wait, android went from 2.3 to 4?
    For phones, yes. The 3.0 version of Android was designed for tablets. Version 4 merged the phone and tablet versions back into one development environment again.
    03-16-2014 06:03 PM
    So excited!
    Jazmac likes this.
    03-16-2014 06:58 PM
    For phones, yes. The 3.0 version of Android was designed for tablets. Version 4 merged the phone and tablet versions back into one development environment again.
    oh okay, that's strange :P
    03-17-2014 10:09 AM
    Its gonna be gripe city
    Guytronic likes this.
    03-20-2014 11:49 PM
    I'll probably be checking this site to see if anyone had any issues with the developer preview. If there isn't anything major then I"ll go ahead and install it.
    03-23-2014 12:04 AM
    I'll probably be checking this site to see if anyone had any issues with the developer preview. If there isn't anything major then I"ll go ahead and install it.
    You're more patient than I am! Starting April 2 I will be mashing the check for updates button. I have a 920 & a 520. Neither of them are my primary phone so it won't mess up anything serious for me if there are issues, which I don't expect to have.
    03-23-2014 01:33 AM
    You're more patient than I am! Starting April 2 I will be mashing the check for updates button. I have a 920 & a 520. Neither of them are my primary phone so it won't mess up anything serious for me if there are issues, which I don't expect to have.
    That will be my number one mission. lol. It would be great to move that update button on the start screen right next to the telephone icon.
    tgp likes this.
    03-24-2014 12:01 AM
    My top three most anticipated features would be Cortana, Action Center, Installing apps to SD card..
    From what I have surmised so far, cortana will be a US only feature at first. Although I think we can look forward to a stripped down version. Our current speech functionality too is much limited compared to what you'll get if you set your region to US.
    03-24-2014 12:08 AM
48 12