The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
03-24-2014 12:08 AM
48 12
tools
    I can't want for the "day after" 8.1 update stories. The pros and cons. I anticipate the pros will be lots of great reads. I wonder what the focus will be on most. Functionality? Action center? Cortana?
    03-14-2014 03:04 PM
    I bet media will still find "10 reasons, WP isn't there yet" sort of stories to write the next day.
    03-14-2014 03:22 PM
    I bet media will still find "10 reasons, WP isn't there yet" sort of stories to write the next day.
    Oh yeah definitely, there's one writer on BetaNews that's always bashing MS and WP with excessive exaggeration.
    03-14-2014 03:33 PM
    It's nice they let us know who can't write articles.
    Sakitumi likes this.
    03-14-2014 04:05 PM
    What purpose of thread like this ? Everybody who cant wait for release create topic where write how he cant wait...
    Cmon, i cant wait too, but this isnt do release earlier. Just wait for it.
    nyolc8 likes this.
    03-14-2014 04:13 PM
    I want to read OUR stories. Here at WPCentral. I already know the bulk of what the technically dishonest g-blogger class of talking microbes has to say and I'm sure they are already writing those stories ahead of the update. I want to read our stories after 8.1 takes off and the push for 8.2. Those I expect to be awesome.
    03-14-2014 04:53 PM
    Yeah! Someone will say "...but WP still doesn't have hipstergramruncrush-camera."
    03-14-2014 04:59 PM
    I want to read OUR stories. Here at WPCentral. I already know the bulk of what the technically dishonest g-blogger class of talking microbes has to say and I'm sure they are already writing those stories ahead of the update. I want to read our stories after 8.1 takes off and the push for 8.2. Those I expect to be awesome.
    LOL!
    Liking this description of the gunners who will be aiming at 8.1.

I'm thinking right here will be the best source of accurate information for this update.
    03-14-2014 05:04 PM
    I will be looking forward to reading on the notification centre and multitasking these are the two I'm the most interested in.
    03-14-2014 07:29 PM
    I can see them complaining about the app gap and going into great detail to want missing.
    03-14-2014 07:31 PM
    This is kind of sad but I'm mostly anticipating my other storage getting cleaned up
    03-14-2014 07:35 PM
    Not to mention, the discoveries and those little gems we missed from what is expected in this 8.1 update. I almost look forward to those as much as the drop itself. And the bloggers on WPCentral will be on fire.
    03-14-2014 09:51 PM
    My top three most anticipated features would be Cortana, Action Center, Installing apps to SD card..
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    03-15-2014 05:09 AM
    By the way, Is this incorrect to say that WP8.1 copied features from iOS and Android ?
    I don't like those writers who always bash about who copied whom.
    03-15-2014 09:23 AM
    By the way, Is this incorrect to say that WP8.1 copied features from iOS and Android ?
    I don't like those writers who always bash about who copied whom.
    Yes this time around, I wouldn't bash anyone who said WP8.1 copied features as most look like just a bunch of catch up stuff. However, remember iOS and Android may have copied these from Nokia or Windows Mobile too unless it is notification centre drop down we are talking about.
    03-15-2014 09:32 AM
    I don't see what the big fuss is about 8.1. Most of what is rumoured to come is just WP playing catchup to Android and iOS. Nothing unique, IMHO.
    03-15-2014 09:34 AM
    I think the main event will be cortana, and what can she do.

Then you will find people saying its "almost the perfect OS" but the app gap is still there.

I think April will be an amazing month. But why April 2nd, why not 1st?
    03-15-2014 09:34 AM
    So, you just want to hear one side of a story? The one that highlights and sugar coats everything while making excuses to gloss over any shortcomings? Not the ones by the mean old bloggers who make you feel bad, you want the ones from your fellow cheerleaders that make you feel good, right? IMO, that's dishonest as well, just in the opposite way.

I may be exaggerating a little there, but seriously. It's easy to tell who the hitmen are and avoid them, but only reading stories from one biased source is not necessarily healthy for a platform. You need to be able to recognize the faults as well as the advantages in any system. If all you do is praise something it will stagnate. If no one ever calls a manufacturer/developer to task then things never improve or get fixed, or do so very slowly. That's all I'm really saying.

Carry on.
    03-15-2014 09:49 AM
    I think the main event will be cortana, and what can she do.

Then you will find people saying its "almost the perfect OS" but the app gap is still there.

I can only think they wanted to do it on an even number and end it on an even number. Some people say that having an event on a odd number can be negative 1st to the 3rd compare to an even number 2nd to 4th which is positive.
    03-15-2014 09:51 AM
    So, you just want to hear one side of a story? The one that highlights and sugar coats everything while making excuses to gloss over any shortcomings? Not the ones by the mean old bloggers who make you feel bad, you want the ones from your fellow cheerleaders that make you feel good, right? IMO, that's dishonest as well, just in the opposite way.

I may be exaggerating a little there, but seriously. It's easy to tell who the hitmen are and avoid them, but only reading stories from one biased source is not necessarily healthy for a platform. You need to be able to recognize the faults as well as the advantages in any system. If all you do is praise something it will stagnate. If no one ever calls a manufacturer/developer to task then things never improve or get fixed, or do so very slowly. That's all I'm really saying.

Carry on.
    Who peed in your cornflakes? If you like atrocities, train wrecks and general malaise in everything in your life, including your technology news, google has a place for you. I don't believe anyone here, and certainly not me expects that there will not be problems along the way. Surely there will be some.

Now weather you want to admit it or not, this update is a very big update for Windows Phone. And inasmuch as it will not satisfy everyone, I expect it will please many. Much in this update is the result of requests coming from thousands. Microsoft is delivering on some of the promise in Windows Phone. So when it drops, many, including myself will feel a sense of a rebirth of sorts. Even a parity. Out of that rebirth will be many stories. I'm looking to read the positives ones more than the stories, you want to read.
    03-15-2014 11:12 AM
    I don't see what the big fuss is about 8.1. Most of what is rumoured to come is just WP playing catchup to Android and iOS. Nothing unique, IMHO.
    Yeah I think people are really building this thing up. Even the iphone users I know don't use Siri. This stuff is nice but I don't see the majority of people's lives being radically altered.

I can't want for the "day after" 8.1 update stories. The pros and cons. I anticipate the pros will be lots of great reads. I wonder what the focus will be on most.
    Complaints.

Do you know of anybody who launches or announces something on April 1st that is taken seriously?
    03-15-2014 11:36 AM
    The thing with voice assistants us that unless there is real benefit felt, it's just a novelty. But once real benefit is experienced and integrated into life it becomes a necessity.

Voice should focus on situations where someone can't easily or lawfully access the manual interface. Make it extremely convenient to do so and people will deem it very important.

I expect that over the next few months, as people get used to Kinect 2.0 we'll see this happen at home.

For me, it's so convenient to turn on the XB1 and get a game running before I even sit down and pick up a controller. It's as if I just told my son to go and turn in the XB1 for me and launch the game... but it's not my son doing it for me. It's the XBOX.
    Jazmac and WanderingTraveler like this.
    03-15-2014 12:21 PM
    I think unless Cortana offers touchless controls(i/e voice activation only), it will be miles behind Siri and mainly Google Now. A true "assistant" is at your beck and call. Pressing the search button or a live tile every time seems 2 generations of assitant-ing behind. Just my opinion.

I think Microsoft could do very well by making the voice experience with Windows Phone very similar to how well it works on Xbox One. Navigating with just your voice seems very high tech and "on the fly" saying "Cortana....remind me to call my brother at 3 about dads birthday plans" things like that without having to tap around on your phone, even one or two button presses would be a step in keeping up with the competition. Lazy? of course. compelling? absolutely. (compared to Moto X active display/touchless controls
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 03-15-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    03-15-2014 05:02 PM
    I think Microsoft could do very well by making the voice experience with Windows Phone very similar to how well it works on Xbox One. Navigating with just your voice seems very high tech and "on the fly" saying "Cortana....remind me to call my brother at 3 about dads birthday plans" things like that without having to tap around on your phone, even one or two button presses would be a step in keeping up with the competition. Lazy? of course. compelling? absolutely. (compared to Moto X active display/touchless controls
    Good points. I'm just curious to see how this utility fits into how I manage my day and use my phone. All I can go by so far is what little I've know of how Siri functions. I want more than anything is for this utility to track my airline for me. Read my ticket and determine based on location with HERE maps, how much time I need to make my flight. That would be useful for me. I'm expecting some deep integration to the OS. But at this point, I don't know what is planned.
    03-15-2014 05:36 PM
    Good points. I'm just curious to see how this utility fits into how I manage my day and use my phone. All I can go by so far is what little I've know of how Siri functions. I want more than anything is for this utility to track my airline for me. Read my ticket and determine based on location with HERE maps, how much time I need to make my flight. That would be useful for me. I'm expecting some deep integration to the OS. But at this point, I don't know what is planned.
    Knowing Microsoft, it won't be a full blown product as we are all anticipating. It will be "it works, but..." and then wait for a few updates and probably by WP8.5 or WP9, these features will be exactly how you described and more. Alas! The competition would just keep moving ahead in that period.
    03-15-2014 05:39 PM
48 12