File manager, usb on the go and MHL?

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
File manager? I doubt it. The apps in the WP use sandboxing meaning that every app owns its storage. A file manager only could deal with files in the SD card and maybe (I doubt it too) dealing with music and photo files.

It's exactly the same problem than in iOS.

If only Windows Phone was adopting WinRT's APIs that allow apps to access files that the user picks. OH WAIT.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Not this discussion again.... sigh.

Let's all wait for WP8.1 to be released officially in a couple of weeks then we can see what this so called 'file manager' is. I don't think it will be anything like Android or Symbian.

As for USBOG, whatever makes the masses happy I suppose. I'm sure lots of people will be happy about that.

So we'll have HID support so people can get their keyboards and mice. Now USBOTG for a media HDD. Then you add a file manager and look a computer! So much for smartphones being smartphones....

I did like WP. So much for it being 'unique'.

'unique' is slang for being crippled now? Smartphones ARE computers, nothing wrong with that as long as they can include all those features in a user friendly way.

pranav rai

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
'unique' is slang for being crippled now? Smartphones ARE computers, nothing wrong with that as long as they can include all those features in a user friendly way.

Smartphones are computesr, but they are not your desktop PCs. To ask for the same old experience even on your mobile devices of the present as compared to the PCs of old is living in the past. Recognise that the explorer is not a piece of software that makes or breaks an experience. While it may satisfy some people whining about PC features on their phones, I sure hope that MS dosnt keep dumping "features" for features sake. All I care for is for usability, and not for features. The is a _difference_.

WP is unique, let it be so. And have some patience and more importantly a respect for choice. If you want an android-like windows phone, why not just go out and get an android phone ?

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Smartphones are computesr, but they are not your desktop PCs. To ask for the same old experience even on your mobile devices of the present as compared to the PCs of old is living in the past. Recognise that the explorer is not a piece of software that makes or breaks an experience. While it may satisfy some people whining about PC features on their phones, I sure hope that MS dosnt keep dumping "features" for features sake. All I care for is for usability, and not for features. The is a _difference_.

WP is unique, let it be so. And have some patience and more importantly a respect for choice. If you want an android-like windows phone, why not just go out and get an android phone ?
Take a look at Windows RT, which supports files properly - all it lacks is a Metro file manager. It will work the same way here. There will be a file explorer that will also let you look at cloud storages you have. I think it is a very good feature. With Microsoft merging Windows RT and Windows Phone, there's no point in not bringing something like that over.

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Agreed - the icon and 1520 have, pretty much, the surface 2 specs. It isn't that much of a stretch of the imagination to see win rt on there. And those devices could conceivably be docked and thus do the job of the surface in its entirety (via usb otg, wireless data transfer or whatever).

Choice is a good thing. Give people the choice to - within reason - use their devices in the manner they are accustomed to, in their work environment. Win mo 6.5 did all of this and more. There is a reason blackberry dominates rue enterprise market, and why people are turning to android in droves. Wp8, as an eco system, could make it big and this level of choice and file manipulation is a big assist. I understand people may not use it but there are professionals out there that live by these feature sets, and that is why they are using blackberry. For now.

I want wp8 to succeed - to do that the mobile computing gamble is something they should and perhaps must bet on.

Whether commercial users want or like it, or not.

And being unique by having not having something can work perhaps once, in a burgeoning over saturated market place. And that is taken by apple (though they are opening their feature set up each time an update comes out).

Wp's best play is to replace blackberry as the must go to system. They need to get on this fast, as apple and google are making inroads already.

I cant wait for windows phone 8.1!!!!

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
file manager seems to be dividing opinions in this thread. imo winp8.1 does not need a file manager like symbian or android as a must. if its there great. but 8.1 needs better file management, like integration between apps. kinda like how its done in ios. i used an ipad before , in it u can transfer the files from one app to another, upload a file {pdf ,video ,mp3 or whatever} to box,dropbox,g drive ,skydrive, save videos from one app to another.send an email from pdf app attaching a pdf. and MOST IMPORTANTLY NO ACCUMULATION OF OTHER STORAGE OR TEMP FILES USING UP MEMORY ..
ios doesnt have a file manger perse but it had provisions for managing files with in its limits without bothering a casual user like me.

dont mistake me ,i like wp8 ,but problems arise due to total lack of provisions for file management. for example i downloaded a pdf and i use dropbox most.i noticed u can only link the pdf app with one drive.u cant save it to dropbox like in ios. this kind of stuff cripples the usability.\
what iam saying is u dont need an app which says file manger and u dont need the provision to access every corner of os. but a better management of files ? its essential. ios is an example tht u can do it without providing an file manger like android. thats the best i can explain :smile:

and usb otg..its a great feature. imagine if u could transfer a movie from ur friends pc to ur phone by getting it to a flash drive? im certain ill find such a feature very useful.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Stop acting like it's open to discussion anymore, Windows Phone is getting a file manager and it's final. It was bound to happen ever since Microsoft announced it was merging Windows RT and Windows Phone. If you use Metro apps in Windows 8 or RT, you can see how they will work in WP8.1. I think it is a very good implementation - apps can't do things to the file system without user's permission. Most apps will still behave the same way they do now, but apps like photo or text editors will be able to properly access files not only from your phone, but also from Dropbox (once an app launches) or OneDrive without you having to sign in to them every time.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Stop acting like it's open to discussion anymore, Windows Phone is getting a file manager and it's final. It was bound to happen ever since Microsoft announced it was merging Windows RT and Windows Phone. If you use Metro apps in Windows 8 or RT, you can see how they will work in WP8.1. I think it is a very good implementation - apps can't do things to the file system without user's permission. Most apps will still behave the same way they do now, but apps like photo or text editors will be able to properly access files not only from your phone, but also from Dropbox (once an app launches) or OneDrive without you having to sign in to them every time.

I'd love to see your proof of your statement that it's 'getting a file manager'. Just because there is a merging happening doesn't mean anything.

There are many ways to do things without a file manager. iPhones seem to work perfectly fine without one and appear quite popular. So your assumption, and it is that, is unfounded.

A file manager as most people want it, will not exist in WP, ever. If anything, it will simply be an extension of OneDrive and that's it. Not much else is needed.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see your proof of your statement that it's 'getting a file manager'. Just because there is a merging happening doesn't mean anything.

There are many ways to do things without a file manager. iPhones seem to work perfectly fine without one and appear quite popular. So your assumption, and it is that, is unfounded.

A file manager as most people want it, will not exist in WP, ever. If anything, it will simply be an extension of OneDrive and that's it. Not much else is needed.

First, there is a local picker that allows to pick files from the local file system in the 8.1 emulator.
Second, WP will have to gain a file manager to merge with Windows RT at some point, it is inevitable.
Third, the merge I speak of is almost complete - the relevant APIs are already added.
Fourth, there is literally a file manager app hidden in the leaked 8.1 SDK:
Bgck2rkCAAAmStW.png

Face it, this is not an assumption I have. It already happened, and saying that iPhone works well without a file manager will not change it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99