Gapless playback ?

wiggum15

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi

Do we have any kind of hint or confirmation that the 8.1 update will finally bring gapless playback to WP ?
I already heard about improvements of the player apps but nothing about gapless playback, something the WMP can do since ages...

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Even if the integrated media player doesn't have gapless, if WP8.1 allows application to cave access to public files ( e.g. on SD card) then anyone can write a player that plays these files back gaplessly. There is such a player developed by mcosmin222 at XDA, but it is extremely unwieldy to use at present owing to OS file access restrictions.

CSMR250

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
While the situation is best on Apple, and gapless on android's bundled player is not fully working, there are many players in the android store that can play gaplessly. WP has the incredible problem that it is not possible to write a media player that plays back music from the music folder or from an sd card gaplessly. I know this because gapless was an essential feature for me in choosing an OS. I hope the situation changes soon.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I still think it's funny that the Windows Media Player that's been included for gosh knows how long, does gapless playback of playlists, and crossfading. But nothing else does.

Go figure!

byobg

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to assume that it won't be there. The Windows 8 app doesn't even have it.

I hope you're wrong, and fear you're right.

And, looking at it from MS's perspective, it's probably a good move - most people (aside from idiots like me) who really care about gapless playback have probably moved on to competing phones that offer it (such as every other smartphone you can buy, including BLACKBERRY for g*d's sake) - it would be silly of MS to spend any time or resources on a feature that only a tiny segment of their (self-selected by attrition) customer base wants.

But yeah, the single ray of hope is that 8.1 gives enough access to core functionality so that somebody else who does care about such things can do a better job.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Makes me wonder if there is some OS deficiency that doesn't allow for this. The same deficiency that doesn't allow video editor apps.

petteriusa

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
If one listens to live music where one song continues into the next, yet are divided into separate tracks (MP3, etc.) the slight gap or pause that the lack of gapless playback causes ruins the listening experience for many. It's not a deal breaker for most but one of those little details that many music lovers would like to see addressed.

Carkid367

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Certain albums, such as any by Janelle Mona?, are meant to play seamless from one track to the next. There isn't meant to be a pause. It actually is pretty jarring if you are listening and everything seems smooth and then have a 1-2 second pause in between interrupts the playback.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo