8.1 install clean or OTA

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys will 8.1 be a clean install even though it will be an OTA update or will it keep user data....? Thinking of a reset if not a clean install......Why I ask ? Considering 8.1 is a massive update.....

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
do you think Microsoft will want you to clean your phone information and start over because of a new update? and then delete your pictures and documents and videos and settings?

it doesnt sound logical at all... Microsoft knows how to do it, look at win8.1 update, it was installed over windows 8 and while drivers and software installed could mess something up, still most computer upgraded with no problems, not losing settings or files or desktop programs.

so it sounds like it will just install on top of Windows Phone 8.0 like any other update and after some minutes you will have your phone working fine with new features and no files, apps or photos lost. its a massive update but Microsoft would know how to update system files and make the correct changes for the phone be completely working after 8.1 update.

if you want to reset your phone, thats ok too. but it wont be necessary just like you didnt reset your phone with Amber or Black and phone worked fine after updating and had all your info and all that

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
The thing is I have a 620 here and 2.4 gigs of other storage and stuff.... I know I know 8.1 will clear all the other storage but to be on safer side will reset when on a stable version than to realise that 8.1 did not clear it up and be blocked of 2.5 gigs and be ready with a "new" phone for april 2nd....

anon(5680040)

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
will reset once on the 31st even though it is an OTA .... Clean install and a clean start... .

You can hard reset your phone even after the developper release and developper installation,
The developper preview program will propose you for the 8.1 installation if after hard reset you are not in 8.1 version.
Most possible is that if you install the developper 8.1 and then hard reset your phone you will remain in 8.1

abhishake620

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
You can hard reset your phone even after the developper release and developper installation,
The developper preview program will propose you for the 8.1 installation if after hard reset you are not in 8.1 version.
Most possible is that if you install the developper 8.1 and then hard reset your phone you will remain in 8.1
whats with the 2p's in developer .. Yeah but then its a beta and to be on safer side rather do it on a stable release.... Mind you the april 2nd release will be updated more than once before 8.1 officially comes out to existing devices via OTA ... So it might have bugs ....but yeah more or less it should be okay when you hard reset with preview installed I guess....

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to download the dev version when released in april and then do a Hardreset directly after. It' way safer to run without problems after a very big update ... Many problems after updating are backup-issues...

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
WP 8.1 isn't going to be a beta, even if you use the developer preview. Dev Preview isn't a beta program, its a software release program. They aren't giving anything out that isn't consumer ready.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon