Why no more wp8.1 leaks?

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
While leaks are usually a bad thing, I think it worked to Microsoft's benefit with WP8.1.

Leaks are hardly ever a bad thing. Leaks are all about generating buzz and nearly all leaks are controlled, apple, google, and MS understand the concept, all press is good press.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, it still hasn't leaked if Cortana will be the final name, so that's really the only surprise left for me.

while nothing is official, the name Cortana has been in too many leaks, and even hit prime-time like Jimmy Fallon, which is most likely a promotion from MS. For them to call it Cortana on national television, I doubt MS will change it to "Bing Now" or whatever. Though stranger things have happened, I would assume it would be Cortana... and if it's not I will rage like no other :)

Tom Warren did say "we haven't seen everything from WP8.1 yet! much much more to come!" or something along the lines of 2x "much much more". however again this was BEFORE some of the other leaks like the "background images" and such. We can really only hope there is more but even if there isn't, I am very happy with what is coming. I know a lot of people will complain that it is only catch up but no one can deny that there is a LOT of catching up in this update and puts the OS on par with Android and iOS... now if we can just get all those silly little apps everyone is always going on about!

I am hoping there will be more but I doubt too much more will be leaked prior to build in, what? 10 days?

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
We still don't know how the changes will be distributed through the phones. I'm sure the update will have to reset the phone at one point. When you turn it back on, will my Personal AI (a.k.a., Cortana) automatically start, or will I have to look in the Apps list to find and pin it to the Start screen? We may know a lot, most, or possibly just half of what's coming in 8.1 (truthfully it doesn't seem like a lot of changes for this large of a change, to me). Will I have to turn some option(s) on to make multiple volume levels available?

I don't expect anyone to know these answers, but I'm sure there are tons of information we don't know yet to come in the Windows Phone 8.1 update. I'm happy, and excited, to know valuable information that is expected to be available in the next update.

Yonic Boom

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
Everything has been leaked, and what we will see on Apr 2 will be less than what we've seen. To top it off, dev "preview" won't roll out most likely till late summer.
l52rXRm.png

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
We've probably seen almost everything. Which is why leaks are rubbish and I wish people would be more selective with what they leak.

The announcement is going to seem like a disappointment to many people now that we've know what's in it for the last month.

I hope you realize that we are a group of nerdy people that follow tech news very closely, and that we barely represent 3 - 5% of the population, trust me the news will amaze the next 40%, and then they will have to carry on the wave of amazingness to others. lol

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
While leaks are usually a bad thing, I think it worked to Microsoft's benefit with WP8.1. It has kept WP in the spotlight over the last month or so during a time where the platform would usually be entirely overlooked from post MWC news. I thought this article summed it up pretty good:

Leaks are a good thing for Microsoft and Windows Phone 8.1 | PhoneDog

I think it's safe to say there will be more in the official 8.1 update than what has leaked so far. Like the WPcentral team said in the last podcast, it's going to be the little changes that add up to the overall experience, more so than any one key feature.

Besides, we may know about Cortana, Action center, etc. but we don't really have a good idea how they actually work on our phones. This is what I'm most excited to see at BUILD. Knowing about Cortana and seeing a 2 minute video is one thing, but to see it demoed live on an existing WP should still be cool.

Yup.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I HOPE there is more to it than what has been revealed. I haven't seen anything groundbreaking. Big jumps for the OS, but still behind the competition. I don't care if they are first to allowing you to record farts and set them as your ring tone, they just need to be first.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I HOPE there is more to it than what has been revealed. I haven't seen anything groundbreaking. Big jumps for the OS, but still behind the competition. I don't care if they are first to allowing you to record farts and set them as your ring tone, they just need to be first.

They're not the first, I'm pretty sure all the others can do that already.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

I keep seeing this "i don't see anything groundbreaking and we're still behind the competition".. I don't see it the same way I guess.. We are behind the competition now and we are taking a HUGE step forward. Leaps forward really. While people see it as "we are still missing this feature or that feature" are not seeing it as "it took apple HOW many years to get all its features, and it took WP8 (since it was rewritten from ground up so basically new OS, can't count WP7) only 2 years to get to the same point"

I would love to see a solid piece by WPC of a full feature compare (after WP8.1 is announced and we have all the facts about WP8.1 from MS direct and not rumor mills and leaks) between WP8.1, iOS 7 and Android 4.4 Not counting rumors of upcoming iOS8 or whatever candy Google finds laying around in a drawer somewhere. Maybe this could be a mobile nations get together all around.. Compare BB10, WP8.1, iOS7 and Android 4.4 and list all the features one OS has that the others do or don't have.. and then do a comparison of, is this a feature for the sake of a feature, or is it a valid, real necessity feature. Then we can get a real grasp of how far behind we really are, or aren't.

I did a search for "iOS 7 feature list" and got one that says 200+ new features in iOS 7: iOS 7: Complete List Of 200+ New Features
The first 20 are "new look / feel / etc" so I wouldn't even count these as WP has it's own look and feel and these can't be compared.
Then some are Mac specific, and iTunes radio, things that Nokia or MS provide already (Nokia Mix Radio? Xbox Music.. etc)
The control center was added in iOS7.. and we are getting the same thing... only missing (or so we think right now) a slider for brightness controls.
AirDrop is new? that's basically NFC... already have it.
Updated Siri... have to wait on Cortana but we should have all that and more.
TouchID... ehh.. not really a needed phone feature...

I could go on.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing this "i don't see anything groundbreaking and we're still behind the competition".. I don't see it the same way I guess.. We are behind the competition now and we are taking a HUGE step forward. Leaps forward really. While people see it as "we are still missing this feature or that feature" are not seeing it as "it took apple HOW many years to get all its features, and it took WP8 (since it was rewritten from ground up so basically new OS, can't count WP7) only 2 years to get to the same point"

I would love to see a solid piece by WPC of a full feature compare (after WP8.1 is announced and we have all the facts about WP8.1 from MS direct and not rumor mills and leaks) between WP8.1, iOS 7 and Android 4.4 Not counting rumors of upcoming iOS8 or whatever candy Google finds laying around in a drawer somewhere. Maybe this could be a mobile nations get together all around.. Compare BB10, WP8.1, iOS7 and Android 4.4 and list all the features one OS has that the others do or don't have.. and then do a comparison of, is this a feature for the sake of a feature, or is it a valid, real necessity feature. Then we can get a real grasp of how far behind we really are, or aren't.

I did a search for "iOS 7 feature list" and got one that says 200+ new features in iOS 7: iOS 7: Complete List Of 200+ New Features
The first 20 are "new look / feel / etc" so I wouldn't even count these as WP has it's own look and feel and these can't be compared.
Then some are Mac specific, and iTunes radio, things that Nokia or MS provide already (Nokia Mix Radio? Xbox Music.. etc)
The control center was added in iOS7.. and we are getting the same thing... only missing (or so we think right now) a slider for brightness controls.
TouchID... ehh.. not really a needed phone feature...

I could go on.

I'd like to see a comparison video like that from mobile nation!

anon(8150199)

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

AirDrop doesn't work between an iDevice and a Mac (drove me up the wall)
Siri couldn't find the weather in my town (doesn't it use Bing? Bing Weather on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone work here!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb