Why no more wp8.1 leaks?

vikrant6

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Now that BUILD is just days away, I am surprised leaks of WP8.1 have stopped coming.. Or we have seen all of it already?

three_thoughts

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
We've probably seen almost everything. Which is why leaks are rubbish and I wish people would be more selective with what they leak.

The announcement is going to seem like a disappointment to many people now that we've know what's in it for the last month.

smoheath

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
We've probably seen almost everything. Which is why leaks are rubbish and I wish people would be more selective with what they leak.

The announcement is going to seem like a disappointment to many people now that we've know what's in it for the last month.

That may be true for some. But for me the leaks have made me super excited for the event. The real cortana reveal is going to be stellar. I love new product demos and I love WP!

EchoOne30

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Everything has been leaked, and what we will see on Apr 2 will be less than what we've seen. To top it off, dev "preview" won't roll out most likely till late summer.

If that's not the case then I'll gladly eat my words, but that's the Microsoft way: Add just enough, but not too much, and take 75% longer than everyone else to get there.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Most of the leaks have come from the leaked developer preview, which mostly featured the under-the-hood changes and not the obvious changes like Action Center or Cortana. Then there obviously were leaks of those two. I imagine there might be more changes (for the love of god an updated Office!!), but the leakers just did not think they were interesting enough or they just aren't ready yet.

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd argue that all the "leaks" were buzz leaks planted by microsoft. I say this because the guy who showed off cortana could have been tracked down by microsoft so easily that he wouldn't have ever leaked again.

psgenious

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
You guys must have heard that the yet-to-be-unveiled Lumia 630 was caught by Sofica Camspeed to be running Windows Phone 8.1 with OS version of 8.10.12324.0 .

Now, that is a lot of change because, the OS version in the Developer SDK was 8.10.12298.77 .

So, you can expect much more than features that leaked at #Build2014.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
If you all know who is Tom Warren he himself agreed that 8.1 has alot more to come from what we have seen.
What we have seen are some of the most wanted features which have changed,we'l see under the hood changes too.
Also,developer preview will be available.

hermantj

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I am worried for MS if they DON'T release the Dev Preview at the Build (2nd of april).
If they don't, I can see a lot of poeple getting tired about the waiting time and leaving WP.

Which makes me think that MS will release the dev preview the 2nd of april.

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

While leaks are usually a bad thing, I think it worked to Microsoft's benefit with WP8.1. It has kept WP in the spotlight over the last month or so during a time where the platform would usually be entirely overlooked from post MWC news. I thought this article summed it up pretty good:

Leaks are a good thing for Microsoft and Windows Phone 8.1 | PhoneDog

I think it's safe to say there will be more in the official 8.1 update than what has leaked so far. Like the WPcentral team said in the last podcast, it's going to be the little changes that add up to the overall experience, more so than any one key feature.

Besides, we may know about Cortana, Action center, etc. but we don't really have a good idea how they actually work on our phones. This is what I'm most excited to see at BUILD. Knowing about Cortana and seeing a 2 minute video is one thing, but to see it demoed live on an existing WP should still be cool.

Last edited:

Kaushik Dash

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I personally want to use the dev preview programme to get the latest update as soon as possible but I can't risk losing my warranty. You may argue that my warranty will not be void but I have contacted nokia care support and they confirmed that it "may" void my warranty. May. But still I can't risk it. Besides, we are just a small percentage of wp users who have the idea of dev preview programme. All of the wp users I know irl have no idea of the dev preview programme.

Nokia devices being bought by Microsoft thereby making all the present nokia devices Microsoft branded (even though there's a nokia name up top) will also make it what nexus is like to Google, that puts us in a situation where we most likely receive the update when Microsoft makes it available for consumers.

Also, the changes are big. Without getting the update you wont be able to use all the new features (such as using appx apps, as many developers will probably update their apps to new extension). That's why I hope Microsoft pushes this one update from their servers

Last edited:

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I am worried for MS if they DON'T release the Dev Preview at the Build (2nd of april).
If they don't, I can see a lot of poeple getting tired about the waiting time and leaving WP.

Which makes me think that MS will release the dev preview the 2nd of april.

I dont agree with you,
their are many people who are not aware about the leaks and their are people who dont care about the leaks or updates.
Its we who follow the sites related to windows phones know about the leaks and updates and what is in store for us ahead,
while I am writing this post their are many people who are making a swtich from WP to other platforms, also many are switching to WP now.

the good thing about developer build will be we'l get to see new phones with windows 8.1 from many OEM, in coming months or days,
they get the OS so that they can build the phone according to it.
the software and OS will be par with the HEAVY WEIGHTS. Which were the complaints now.
Many people wont hesitate to make the switch and try out WP.

Lets get this straight Dev Preview program is for the developers, to make new apps and stuff.
Its also a step for the OEMs how they can differ it from rest of the crowd. ( remember initial WP8 launch HTC vs Nokia )
Dev Preview will be released but they release it on 2nd April or in a few days is a mystery.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
for dev, it is a pain for waiting, wp8.1 SDK (software development kit) was only about 1-3 things leaked, the "ghost notification" and some i dont know...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077