What Advantage will 8.1 devices have ?

Rayan Baydoun

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I am planning to buy a 1520 soon , and the news that 8.1 hardware is going to be announced soon scrambled everything. Can anyone give me an idea about what might be different about phones catered to windows phone 8.1 ? or are they just phones with 8.1 pre-installed

Marlon Bu

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I am planning to buy a 1520 soon , and the news that 8.1 hardware is going to be announced soon scrambled everything. Can anyone give me an idea about what might be different about phones catered to windows phone 8.1 ? or are they just phones with 8.1 pre-installed
Some of the new Win 8.1 Phones don't have Hardware-Buttons (Back, Windows, Search).

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here, I first wanted to get a 1020 because of the camera, but then scrapped it because of the 1520 which was just superior to it.
Now that I've heard about Goldfinger I just can't figure out what to do. But I'm sure both cases will happen, there will be "regular" devices just with 8.1 preinstalled; and there will be something special like the Goldfinger which will have that 3D cube thingy.

P.S. Welcome to the WPCentral Forums, enjoy! :)

Rayan Baydoun

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Glad to hear , 1520 is an extremely capable device on par with the latest android offerings (spec-wise) , so il just get it and download the 8.1 through developer preview.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
High-end WP8.1 pre-installed devices may have the Snapdragon 801 (or even 805) instead of the 800 in the current devices.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The rumors are actually confusing. We have Martini which has been confirmed as 930, Moneypenny as 630 but nothing on the GoldFinger for months now. I hope that device still "exists" and would be out around Q2

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
We won't know until they're officially announced, but it's worth looking at some of the WP 8.1 features in order to get an idea. For starters, it wouldn't surprise me if we see hands-free prompting (akin to Moto X) for Cortana, but that would require specific hardware to achieve. At the minimum, we should expect the Lumia 930 and other higher-end devices to be tuned for their CPU and RAM from the start. Why is that important? Well, with the new generation we can expect quick shutter times and loading between shots using the PureView camera; we can be assured that Miracast and WiFi Direct will work without hiccups, etc. That said, the Lumia Icon and 1520 are up there in terms of specs, you should expect appropriate firmware updates down the line. Either way, you're going to wait (i.e. for next gen WP8.1 handsets or L1520/Icon firmware updates).

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
They'll probably have newer processors and slightly better hardware, but other than that, not much. If they have the new snapdragon processors cortana might have the option to be "always on."

Fiann

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
They'll probably have newer processors and slightly better hardware, but other than that, not much. If they have the new snapdragon processors cortana might have the option to be "always on."

Doesn't the 800 series Snapdragon in the 1520 and Icon already contain the audio processing core you mentioned?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon