06-28-2015 10:26 AM
56 123
tools
    I am not running an unofficial Windows 8.1 update 1 on my desktop.
    Ok, so I am wrong. I said that because CageAta said in the first post he was running windows 8.1 update 1, which hasn't been released yet. I assumed you were using that OS too... My bad.
    Jazmac likes this.
    03-27-2014 09:04 AM
    I miss Zune...
    ZUNE still lives in the desktop and is still amazing, even though Microsoft has been removing some features. It was that good, to begin with.

Thanks for mentioning this great software. We need all the ZUNE features added to the fledgling Xbox Music software and app.
    03-27-2014 09:23 AM
    still have my zune ! Thanks for the heads up
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    03-27-2014 11:10 AM
    still have my zune ! Thanks for the heads up
    Same here. Still have the Zune software installed too, still sync my podcasts to my Zune HD every evening. Little guy just keeps on tickin'. :)
    Unfortunately I can't say the same for my old Black 80gb. Can't even get it to power up anymore. :/
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    03-30-2014 08:20 PM
    I've had this update on my then Acer S3 long ago, i.e., early 8.1 and way before Update 1. I had Zune on this computer before but I removed it already.
    03-31-2014 06:33 AM
    Over the air updates is amazing than you need zune to updates your phone too bad..
    03-31-2014 07:15 AM
    Found this:
    zune1.jpg
    zune2.jpg
    03-31-2014 08:04 AM
    Found this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zune1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	60972
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zune2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	60973
    That's nothing new they still provide it for download, it doesn't mean that they are bringing it back. Look at the date, it's Aug 19, 2011.
    03-31-2014 09:26 AM
    I would love Zune back but, Zune is dead, it's called Xbox Music now.

I really liked the Zune interface to sync music, pictures, videos and other content (the Windows Phone 8 app is a piece of junk compared). then you could buy apps right in Zune. It was better than itunes (my wife has a iPhoney) from what I saw. Just wish MS would bring back ZUne and WIndows Media Center....2 of their best products that got trashed.
    dgr_874 and Kevin Rush like this.
    03-31-2014 09:47 AM

I really liked the Zune interface to sync music, pictures, videos and other content (the Windows Phone 8 app is a piece of junk compared). then you could buy apps right in Zune. It was better than itunes (my wife has a iPhoney) from what I saw. Just wish MS would bring back ZUne and WIndows Media Center....2 of their best products that got trashed.
    But Windows Media Center is still around , isn't it? You just have to pay for it or some such, right?
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    03-31-2014 11:43 AM
    But Windows Media Center is still around , isn't it? You just have to pay for it or some such, right?
    True, but it also hasn't been updated from the Windows 7 version either.
    dgr_874 likes this.
    03-31-2014 06:37 PM
    True, but it also hasn't been updated from the Windows 7 version either.
    Didn't know that. Thought the Pro Pack was supposed to have a totally updated version for Win 8. Well that sucks.
    03-31-2014 11:14 PM
    Yeah, Zune should be brought back. Was my biggest disappointment when I got my 920. Had all my music organized and ready for syncing. Used it all the time with my HD7. And I'm also gonna miss the possibility to heart a track. Went through my whole library hearting/broken hearting Every track I had.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-01-2014 04:07 AM
    I miss the Zune as a program in Windows. I really hate Xbox music on W8/8.1. Worthless app.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    04-01-2014 04:26 AM

ZUNE and Media Center are not dead! Both are available for download, function, and are still great and wonderful PC desktop software. People are still using both.

Research "Ceton". They manufacture great devices that function specifically with Media Center, that they continue to develop and sell. The Ceton cards and boxes replace your cable boxes /DVR Recorders and cable box fees. If you add an Xbox360 or two or three ... as Media Extenders, you can set up an amazing whole house Media Center! Using Windows Media Center you can access cable TV, recorded TV, pictures, music, movies, etc distributed throughout your home.

The ZUNE PC desktop software is still alive and functioning. It is not dead. The software is connected to the rebranded XBox Music and Video Services. I recently purchased two movies on my XBox360 and then both appeared in my Zune video collection on my PC. I tested them and they are available for streaming or download. I'm not sure if this is new functionality or just one of the great features that ZUNE PC software has always had.

Yes, it appears that Microsoft (and the unknowing masses) are not giving ZUNE PC software, nor Media Center much attention, but these two incredible software are not dead.
    Last edited by Kevin Rush; 04-01-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    04-01-2014 09:08 AM
    The correct term is 0 attention. Media Center and the Zune client are not in active development any longer. The team that did work on the Zune desktop client are all on other projects now.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    04-01-2014 09:12 AM
    The correct term is 0 attention. Media Center and the Zune client are not in active development any longer. The team that did work on the Zune desktop client are all on other projects now.
    Allow me to interject for a second, but That's just the thing, I don't understand why Microsoft created Windows Phone app for desktop when they could've just expanded on Windows Media Center. Bundling an out-of-date by 10 years program that no-one uses anymore (I assume) with something as brand new and as fresh as Windows 8.1 is mind-boggling.
    04-01-2014 09:22 AM
    It's not bundled. They made it part of a separate pack that you purchase and it requires you to input a key to install the feature. It's basically an option to keep Win7 MC users happy.

It is also not out of date by 10 years. It is the Win7 version of Media Center.
    04-01-2014 09:28 AM
    Well, sort of. It works on Windows 8 but, you need to buy the Pro-pack for it ($9.99). If you check the version numbers, it's the same as the version on Windows 7. Infact the only change they did was remove "Start Windows Media Center when the computer starts" from Windows 8.

As today, tech is changing, Newer dolby digital 10.1, 4K tv, Blu-ray, and I could go on with features that Windows Media Center does not support because they killed it a few years ago. They where known as the eHome team, infact the leader of Windows Phone was the leader of the WMC group.

I still use it with Xbox 360 extenders but, there is no support in the Xbox one, nor any plans to upgrade it, so yea, it's dead....and I would LOVE to see them bring it back and do MAJOR updates changes (maybe Xbox one TV interface, etc).

One of Microsoft's best products they ever made...

and I am a certifed Customer Home theater/automation installer from MS on MCE and I was a MVP for 2010-2011...I know media center VERY WELL.

Research "Ceton". They manufacture great devices that function specifically with Media Center, that they continue to develop and sell. The Ceton cards and boxes replace your cable boxes /DVR Recorders and cable box fees. If you add an Xbox360 or two or three ... as Media Extenders, you can set up an amazing whole house Media Center! Using Windows Media Center you can access cable TV, recorded TV, pictures, music, movies, etc distributed throughout your home. .
    I know who they are, in fact I have one of their cablecard tuners, I know their support and hardware very well, I use it for some installs. Sure, it's alive but, internet video from the guide is gone, No update ever came down for 2 way cablecards (Ordering PPV from the remote, that you CAN NOT DO IN MCE, it was in beta), Dish network AND DirecTV had products in beta for WMC, we never saw them. Still long term bugs in movie library. Sure Ceton make products for MCE and they are good BUT, no new updates, no new support for standards, No feature changes.

Sure they support them and it is still a working product (crap, Windows XP is still running as of now) but, in Microsoft's eyes it's a disco'd product and will not be updated or changed in anyway....This is what I would LOVE to see changed

Yes, it appears that Microsoft (and the unknowing masses) are not giving ZUNE PC software, nor Media Center much attention, but these two incredible software are not dead.
    In Microsoft's eye, because the team who worked on the eHome team was broken up, it is infact a Dead Product. Sure it will run for years to come but, update or changes, not going to happen...sad to say..
    Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    04-01-2014 10:44 AM
    I may have met you David if you ever attended any MVP events on campus at MS while you were an MVP (things like the MVP Summit and such). I know a ton of the MCE folks pretty well, including Meredith (if you know who she is) who used to run a lot of the community stuff for the MCE folks.

I still have my really old VixS tuner and some swag they handed out to us around 2005ish (including original MCE logo beanies and such).

Some of those events are what helped me make the decision to move closer to Redmond and start contracting on projects for them. :)
    04-01-2014 11:01 AM
    The team behind Zune is the same team as Xbox Music. The team isn't gone, and since Zune is in the top 20 of feature request, I think it's safe to say that we might have a chance on a return of Zune.
    04-01-2014 11:11 AM
    The team behind Zune is the same team as Xbox Music. The team isn't gone, and since Zune is in the top 20 of feature request, I think it's safe to say that we might have a chance on a return of Zune.
    No it's not. Most of the Zune team moved on to other projects...and some just moved on.

For instance the gentleman who was in charge of the desktop client for Zune is now in charge of the UI for the Xbox One...and if Zune ever returns I'll keel over from surprise...sadly enough. :(
    04-01-2014 11:17 AM
    It's a shame don't have a way to make Zune available for WP8. I still use Zune in my desktop, for me it's still the best player and was the best sync player too.
    04-01-2014 01:16 PM
    Everything may be clarified today. I say today because well in New Zealand its Thursday 3rd of April!!
    04-02-2014 06:52 AM
    I wish they would bring it back. Letting Zune die and not having WP8 support was one of Microsoft's worst decisions. I don't know why they wouldn't bring some form of it back since so many people liked it.
    04-02-2014 08:20 AM
56 123