About WP 8.1 developer preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Hai guys, i have a Lumia 720, i just want to upgrade to windows phone 8.1 through the developer preview when it is released, do you think it is safe to upgrade via dev preview or wait for official update?
what ever they release through developer preview will it be beta build like window8.1 or finished product?
little help i even deleted some games and apps to free up the space for download.
super excited about the windows phone 8.1 update are you?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's the way I looked at it.

With any 'preview' you run the risk of it having bugs. That's just reality. Also keeping in mind that Nokia is going to release a new firmware for WP8.1 so even though you'll have the OS it may not function perfectly.

I've decided to wait personally but I know some people get overly excited about updates. I personally don't. I have little doubt when the preview is released (after BUILD apparently) there will be tonnes of people downloading it and then we'll get the 'x' doesn't work or 'y' doesn't work or my phone is bricked. That kind of thing.

So it's entirely up to you.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
There are people who want always newest things, and there are the relaxed people :)
I really want it too, but I rather wait till its final and safe to use. Don't want bugs on my phone, because I need it for work!

raxy21

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
So just wait for someone to download it on their Lumia 720 and get the feedback from them then install it on our phone, even i don't want bugs on my phone, will wait for the feedback from users.
But its quite a huge update for improving usability, as many minor tweaks add and improve the user experience, many of my friends tell that WP doesn't have this and that i can put full stop to it with this update that is the reason, im excited for it. ��

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

With any 'preview' you run the risk of it having bugs. That's just reality. Also keeping in mind that Nokia is going to release a new firmware for WP8.1 so even though you'll have the OS it may not function perfectly.

I've decided to wait personally but I know some people get overly excited about updates. I personally don't. I have little doubt when the preview is released (after BUILD apparently) there will be tonnes of people downloading it and then we'll get the 'x' doesn't work or 'y' doesn't work or my phone is bricked. That kind of thing.

but usually the preview is the final version for general distribution. but we cant deny this also!!

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hai guys, i have a Lumia 720, i just want to upgrade to windows phone 8.1 through the developer preview when it is released, do you think it is safe to upgrade via dev preview or wait for official update?
what ever they release through developer preview will it be beta build like window8.1 or finished product?
little help i even deleted some games and apps to free up the space for download.
super excited about the windows phone 8.1 update are you?

Wait but only if u have PATIENCE..!!

Black Lumia

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site

It is perfectly safe, I got GDR3 that way. It is just the software before the carrier(AT&T and Verizon) approves after the long, painful months of testing.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It is perfectly safe, I got GDR3 that way. It is just the software before the carrier(AT&T and Verizon) approves after the long, painful months of testing.

I didn't say it wasn't safe but there were many on here that has issues with the GDR3 preview. Then again, people had issues with the official release.

I'm just trying to point out that the preview may or may not be an issue on your phone. It won't have any Nokia extras and the firmware won't be right for it. So it is a 'use at your own risk'.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Well, that IS part of the official disclaimer. There were reports of people bricking their phones with GDR3. I'd wait and see first. Just sayin.

Hoss98

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I have a 520 for developing I just use to test the apps I don't use it mainly and I enabled the preview on it and I received the update1,2 and 3 and no bugs happened but that doesn't mean no bugs will happen always. It's up to you

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I didn't say it wasn't safe but there were many on here that has issues with the GDR3 preview. Then again, people had issues with the official release.

I'm just trying to point out that the preview may or may not be an issue on your phone. It won't have any Nokia extras and the firmware won't be right for it. So it is a 'use at your own risk'.

yes you are correct! its clearly mentioned on microsoft website about the risks and void warranty over the developers preview . but being in wp community it feels cool to brag about being havng wp 8.1!! i am on .. waiting for the developers release!! :)

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

it is not, I lose my warranty, I can't get help if my software fscked up, there is no firmware, so could cause problems, maybe not all apps will work?, ...
It is just not as save as using the official version. Say what you want. But I need phone for work so I can't play around all the time...

uno991

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Im a HTC 8S owner and the 8.1 update is up to the manufacte, so i want to update it through the developer program, it is free or should i pay something???

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
it is not, I lose my warranty, I can't get help if my software fscked up, there is no firmware, so could cause problems, maybe not all apps will work?, ...
It is just not as save as using the official version. Say what you want. But I need phone for work so I can't play around all the time...

Incorrect. Participation in the program MAY, not will, invalidate the warranty. I have yet to have a single warranty claim rejected due to dev bits being on a device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss