About WP 8.1 developer preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting that. I've had to post to so many people that the wording is MAY not WILL. I can't figure out why people feel the need to post information they haven't researched properly.

To be honest though it's becoming more and more common. With the rise of social media and quick fix journalism and such I've noticed even the smartest amongst my friends giving out bad info because people seem to no longer pay proper attention to detail.

If I were more OCD about things I'd track it more carefully, but it has become a disturbingly noticeable trend...

Once again though thank you for coming in and providing good information. :)

People skim over something and think they are experts, rather than actually researching it and finding out what they didn't catch in skimming over the subject. More critical thinking would benefit our society.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
People skim over something and think they are experts, rather than actually researching it and finding out what they didn't catch in skimming over the subject. More critical thinking would benefit our society.

If you were closer to 'Wershington' and not down in 'Jawja' I'd buy you a tasty hop-filled beverage of your choice Rich. :)

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't say it wasn't safe but there were many on here that has issues with the GDR3 preview. Then again, people had issues with the official release.

I'm just trying to point out that the preview may or may not be an issue on your phone. It won't have any Nokia extras and the firmware won't be right for it. So it is a 'use at your own risk'.

Agree with you 100%...this is a major update, and the developer preview does indeed carry more risks with it than the carriers official update...I'll be waiting for a while.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Agree with you 100%...this is a major update, and the developer preview does indeed carry more risks with it than the carriers official update...I'll be waiting for a while.

Actually the update mechanism used is the same...so there's just as much risk either way to be honest.

If anyone wants more details I can post them, but I'm trying to be more concise these days.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If you were closer to 'Wershington' and not down in 'Jawja' I'd buy you a tasty hop-filled beverage of your choice Rich. :)

The closest thing to a hop-filled beverage that I drink is Virgil's Root Beer, but I appreciate the offer! Been to DC once, and dream of taking a couple months off work to go through the museums and other sites and giving them the time that they are due.... :wink:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The risks using the Preview for Developers is identical to the risks waiting on the carriers. There is no difference. Believing otherwise is to do yourself injustice.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
The closest thing to a hop-filled beverage that I drink is Virgil's Root Beer, but I appreciate the offer! Been to DC once, and dream of taking a couple months off work to go through the museums and other sites and giving them the time that they are due.... :wink:

Oops sorry I should have clarified. I meant Washington the state. I live about a half hour drive from the Microsoft main campus. :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Oops sorry I should have clarified. I meant Washington the state. I live about a half hour drive from the Microsoft main campus. :)

Ah, all the way over on the left coast! Well, maybe one day I'll get up there. Closest I've been is to Idaho once. Was beautiful, but it was FREEZING! It was at Christmas time!

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Ah, all the way over on the left coast! Well, maybe one day I'll get up there. Closest I've been is to Idaho once. Was beautiful, but it was FREEZING! It was at Christmas time!
That's a funny coincidence. The furthest east I've been is Idaho...and I really want to change that. I've been stuck on the west coast my whole life. Anyhoo I don't want to get us in trouble for being off topic. PM me anytime you want to chat. :)

Blade800

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I heard that there is a possibility to lose your warranty if you install developer preview, is that true? I want to be 100% sure if I install this.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I heard that there is a possibility to lose your warranty if you install developer preview, is that true? I want to be 100% sure if I install this.

The official wording is MAY. It is essentially wording there to prevent MS from being sued if your carrier or OEM doesn't want to support the device. However no one I know on the dev program has ever been denied warranty service.

Hasan Moursi

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
i dont know what it means by there wont be any nokia extras ..you mean all nokia apps wont work like glance nokia cam .here maps ....... or what does it mean ?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
i dont know what it means by there wont be any nokia extras ..you mean all nokia apps wont work like glance nokia cam .here maps ....... or what does it mean ?

No. It just means that you'll be using the current versions of firmware and apps from Nokia until Nokia releases newer versions and/or newer firmware versions later on. :)

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
By registering for a developer account that's how you get access to the WP8.1 developer preview right? It's the $19 subscription on the MS website or is the dev preview tied to MSDN?

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
By registering for a developer account that's how you get access to the WP8.1 developer preview right? It's the $19 subscription on the MS website or is the dev preview tied to MSDN?

You can also just sign up for a free app studio account as well. Microsoft set that up as a little loophole to help bypass carrier update restrictions for people who don't want to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99