04-03-2014 03:30 PM
62 123
tools
    Hai guys, i have a Lumia 720, i just want to upgrade to windows phone 8.1 through the developer preview when it is released, do you think it is safe to upgrade via dev preview or wait for official update?
    what ever they release through developer preview will it be beta build like window8.1 or finished product?
    little help i even deleted some games and apps to free up the space for download.
    super excited about the windows phone 8.1 update are you?
    03-26-2014 06:19 AM
    Here's the way I looked at it.

With any 'preview' you run the risk of it having bugs. That's just reality. Also keeping in mind that Nokia is going to release a new firmware for WP8.1 so even though you'll have the OS it may not function perfectly.

I've decided to wait personally but I know some people get overly excited about updates. I personally don't. I have little doubt when the preview is released (after BUILD apparently) there will be tonnes of people downloading it and then we'll get the 'x' doesn't work or 'y' doesn't work or my phone is bricked. That kind of thing.

So it's entirely up to you.
    03-26-2014 06:27 AM
    There are people who want always newest things, and there are the relaxed people :)
    I really want it too, but I rather wait till its final and safe to use. Don't want bugs on my phone, because I need it for work!
    raxy21 likes this.
    03-26-2014 06:46 AM
    So just wait for someone to download it on their Lumia 720 and get the feedback from them then install it on our phone, even i don't want bugs on my phone, will wait for the feedback from users.
    But its quite a huge update for improving usability, as many minor tweaks add and improve the user experience, many of my friends tell that WP doesn't have this and that i can put full stop to it with this update that is the reason, im excited for it.
    ravisankhla likes this.
    03-26-2014 07:19 AM

With any 'preview' you run the risk of it having bugs. That's just reality. Also keeping in mind that Nokia is going to release a new firmware for WP8.1 so even though you'll have the OS it may not function perfectly.

I've decided to wait personally but I know some people get overly excited about updates. I personally don't. I have little doubt when the preview is released (after BUILD apparently) there will be tonnes of people downloading it and then we'll get the 'x' doesn't work or 'y' doesn't work or my phone is bricked. That kind of thing.

but usually the preview is the final version for general distribution. but we cant deny this also!!
    03-27-2014 06:21 AM
    Hai guys, i have a Lumia 720, i just want to upgrade to windows phone 8.1 through the developer preview when it is released, do you think it is safe to upgrade via dev preview or wait for official update?
    what ever they release through developer preview will it be beta build like window8.1 or finished product?
    little help i even deleted some games and apps to free up the space for download.
    super excited about the windows phone 8.1 update are you?
    Wait but only if u have PATIENCE..!!
    03-27-2014 09:49 AM

It is perfectly safe, I got GDR3 that way. It is just the software before the carrier(AT&T and Verizon) approves after the long, painful months of testing.
    ravisankhla likes this.
    03-27-2014 11:51 PM
    It is perfectly safe, I got GDR3 that way. It is just the software before the carrier(AT&T and Verizon) approves after the long, painful months of testing.
    I didn't say it wasn't safe but there were many on here that has issues with the GDR3 preview. Then again, people had issues with the official release.

I'm just trying to point out that the preview may or may not be an issue on your phone. It won't have any Nokia extras and the firmware won't be right for it. So it is a 'use at your own risk'.
    Abi_singh_1995 likes this.
    03-28-2014 04:33 AM
    Well, that IS part of the official disclaimer. There were reports of people bricking their phones with GDR3. I'd wait and see first. Just sayin.
    03-28-2014 04:48 AM

I have a 520 for developing I just use to test the apps I don't use it mainly and I enabled the preview on it and I received the update1,2 and 3 and no bugs happened but that doesn't mean no bugs will happen always. It's up to you
    03-28-2014 06:58 AM
    I didn't say it wasn't safe but there were many on here that has issues with the GDR3 preview. Then again, people had issues with the official release.

I'm just trying to point out that the preview may or may not be an issue on your phone. It won't have any Nokia extras and the firmware won't be right for it. So it is a 'use at your own risk'.
    yes you are correct! its clearly mentioned on microsoft website about the risks and void warranty over the developers preview . but being in wp community it feels cool to brag about being havng wp 8.1!! i am on .. waiting for the developers release!! :)
    ravisankhla likes this.
    03-28-2014 11:27 AM

it is not, I lose my warranty, I can't get help if my software fscked up, there is no firmware, so could cause problems, maybe not all apps will work?, ...
    It is just not as save as using the official version. Say what you want. But I need phone for work so I can't play around all the time...
    03-29-2014 05:29 AM
    Wait a day or two to see if others have any issues.
    ravisankhla and Quhi like this.
    03-29-2014 07:53 AM
    Wait! Weight broke the wagon!
    03-29-2014 08:08 AM
    Im a HTC 8S owner and the 8.1 update is up to the manufacte, so i want to update it through the developer program, it is free or should i pay something???
    03-29-2014 11:05 AM
    Set up an app studio account. Totally free
    uno991 likes this.
    03-29-2014 01:41 PM
    Thanks brother...
    03-29-2014 02:56 PM
    it is not, I lose my warranty, I can't get help if my software fscked up, there is no firmware, so could cause problems, maybe not all apps will work?, ...
    It is just not as save as using the official version. Say what you want. But I need phone for work so I can't play around all the time...
    Incorrect. Participation in the program MAY, not will, invalidate the warranty. I have yet to have a single warranty claim rejected due to dev bits being on a device.
    03-29-2014 03:01 PM
    Does anybody read TOS & EULs anymore?? Goodnees
    Abi_singh_1995 likes this.
    03-29-2014 04:17 PM
    Does anybody read TOS & EULs anymore?? Goodnees
    Nope, and they tend to get upset when companies enforce the things they didn't read. :P
    03-29-2014 05:03 PM
    TOUCHe !!
    03-31-2014 12:51 AM

It would be the software. The preview is the final release that you get through the official update.
    ravisankhla likes this.
    03-31-2014 10:08 AM
    I have never had any problems.
    03-31-2014 10:09 AM
    Im a HTC 8S owner and the 8.1 update is up to the manufacte, so i want to update it through the developer program, it is free or should i pay something???
    The app is free but you have to pay to get a developer account.
    03-31-2014 10:10 AM
    I have download the app free after that it was an update, it was free too. So are you sure for the account payment?
    03-31-2014 10:48 AM
62 123