Office for windows phone 8.1

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Do you you think Microsoft will bring better versions of the office apps for windows phones like add more features better editing support and especially more OneNote support. I'd really like to see a version like on the newly released iPad or the one in windows Rt since we are supposed to be first class citizens wouldn't you think that would be the case? Let me know below

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
When I got my WP I was excited about the idea of having Office on my phone. I had it on my N8 as well. I have since then realised that I never use it on my phone. Though it's 'handy' to have.

I guess I don't really fit your category of person. I will say this though. I do hope they bring better support for it on the phone with better editing options. I still don't expect a full blown Office experience though. It is a phone after all.

As for being a 'first class citizen' this is MS, they don't make much sense. I guess we'll see soon enough.

Devmer11

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I figured we would get a watered down version like on the iPad but I'll take anything Better then what we have now and the OneNote app is terrible. And yes very true we buy windows products all the selling points go to the competition lol like Xbox live Xbox music and now office

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
MS just doesn't make any real sense nowadays. Sure its understandable to get into google and apple market share with office products, but releasing better versions than the windows product doesn't make any sense. With Ballmer at the helm it seems like his way was to make the Apple/google versions worse than the somewhat terrible windows version.(talking about phone here) With Satala, his way seems to be backwards...make a good ipod/google version and just ignore the windows version.....So I dunno...MS hasn't made a whole lot of sense lately.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
MS just doesn't make any real sense nowadays. Sure its understandable to get into google and apple market share with office products, but releasing better versions than the windows product doesn't make any sense. With Ballmer at the helm it seems like his way was to make the Apple/google versions worse than the somewhat terrible windows version.(talking about phone here) With Satala, his way seems to be backwards...make a good ipod/google version and just ignore the windows version.....So I dunno...MS hasn't made a whole lot of sense lately.
I seriously doubt this has much to do with Nadella. He's been at the helm, what, two whole months? No where near enough time to put any sort of policy change into effect in a company the size of MS. These sort of decisions were made prior to his appointment.

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The idea that you would water down any version of one of your best selling and most reliable product lines for the competition is so shortsighted. The goal is to give the absolute best user experience possible on any platform so your product gets the most respect globally. This drives people TO your platform. It's not a coincidence that the top 3 apps in the Apple app store yesterday were the Office suite or products followed by OneNote in 7th and can you believe Skype in 13th! That's 5 MS apps in the top 13 on the Apple store! The products WORK and that's why people want it. The product is ingrained in our everyday life and that's why people want it. Now they can be on whatever platform they want and get the best user experience out there. This is a brilliant move and one that is several years too late. These kinds of business moves will only help the product, the company and its shareholders by putting more faith and money into the ecosystem.

If you go to Bing News and have MS as one of your topics you follow you'll see that the naysayers have come out of the woodwork yet again to state that it's too little too late, that there are better alternatives, that it's not free, that there's no reason in this day and age to use a dinosaur program. But those opinions are starting to get shouted down by those who see the value in the product and, more importantly, are seeing how well the products and services are integrating in their day to day lives. And have you seen MS stock?

I agree there are shortcomings with MS products ON MS products but they will continue to be refined as the company becomes more unified. This is actually an exciting time to be part of the MS ecosystem and I can't wait to see what's ahead.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I seriously doubt this has much to do with Nadella. He's been at the helm, what, two whole months? No where near enough time to put any sort of policy change into effect in a company the size of MS. These sort of decisions were made prior to his appointment.

I agree. People need to be patient. It's easy to get frustrated with Microsoft or the WP wing, but they have many things to do and a limited number of top priorities to assign. The only thing we can do is provide feedback(not destructive criticism) and be patient.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree. People need to be patient. It's easy to get frustrated with Microsoft or the WP wing, but they have many things to do and a limited number of top priorities to assign. The only thing we can do is provide feedback(not destructive criticism) and be patient.

What I think it is so easy to get frustrated with, is that priorities are being set for other platforms first. Goes back to "Get your own house in order first" adage. I'm understanding the push to make services available, universal and to cement them as THE Standard in the mobile realms as the are in Enterprise, but I'll be upset if "they" get better stuff than we do.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
What I think it is so easy to get frustrated with, is that priorities are being set for other platforms first. Goes back to "Get your own house in order first" adage. I'm understanding the push to make services available, universal and to cement them as THE Standard in the mobile realms as the are in Enterprise, but I'll be upset if "they" get better stuff than we do.

Really? I think Microsoft has done great things for Windows. Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, XBox One, OneDrive improvements, smart glass, kinnect 2, etc, etc.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Not generally but when the need arises, I'd like to be able to. I always have my phone on me. Same can't be said for my other devices.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

There are 1.5 billion iOS/Android devices out there. How many Windows Phone+RT devices are there? Yeah it makes sense to divert engineering resources for the 1.5 billion.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The idea that you would water down any version of one of your best selling and most reliable product lines for the competition is so shortsighted. The goal is to give the absolute best user experience possible on any platform so your product gets the most respect globally. This drives people TO your platform. It's not a coincidence that the top 3 apps in the Apple app store yesterday were the Office suite or products followed by OneNote in 7th and can you believe Skype in 13th! That's 5 MS apps in the top 13 on the Apple store! The products WORK and that's why people want it. The product is ingrained in our everyday life and that's why people want it. Now they can be on whatever platform they want and get the best user experience out there. This is a brilliant move and one that is several years too late. These kinds of business moves will only help the product, the company and its shareholders by putting more faith and money into the ecosystem.

If you go to Bing News and have MS as one of your topics you follow you'll see that the naysayers have come out of the woodwork yet again to state that it's too little too late, that there are better alternatives, that it's not free, that there's no reason in this day and age to use a dinosaur program. But those opinions are starting to get shouted down by those who see the value in the product and, more importantly, are seeing how well the products and services are integrating in their day to day lives. And have you seen MS stock?

I agree there are shortcomings with MS products ON MS products but they will continue to be refined as the company becomes more unified. This is actually an exciting time to be part of the MS ecosystem and I can't wait to see what's ahead.

I use OneNote and it's fantastic. Whoever says MS = dinosaur products is living in vistabob land. For them it's always 2005 and Justin Long is the face of Apple.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site

This version was in development long before Satya (not Satala...*sighs*) moved into the big office.

BTW, do you know what really doesn't make sense? Holding into a finished product while waiting for another product to be finished, just so you can have it on your own platform first. Why throw money away by not having a finished product on the shelf, so to speak? It would be more of a waste having an artificial delay that is completely unnecessary from a business standpoint.

Indeed. Right now it's like the first several months while the POTUS settles in. Usually a lot of their time in the first few months is dedicated to getting things in line and a ton of what's happening in the public eye is the leftover business from the prior CEO.

The only logic I could see that would allow for that would be if Microsoft were wanting to be petty, and Google already has that beat covered with their *raspberry* type behavior when it comes to WP apps.

BTW just to put this out there. Microsoft is not ignoring Windows. They've had a version for Metro/Modern in development, but it wasn't ready for release at the same time as the version for iOS...and that would make sense since the Mac BU usually does things separately from the rest of the company on many fronts.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Editing docs on your phone isn't of the highest priority is it? Maybe for a few...

This is kinda how I think about it. I mean who's going to be doing much serious work on their phone? If you need mobility that bad get an ultrabook or an 8" tablet with keyboard case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05