One Windows: An Omni-Interface

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
What do you think about a united OS? A completely omni-interface? The same experience and programs on every device: Phone, Tablet, and Computer.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
It's their "vision" to have a consistent UI, OS kernel and native language for Windows in the future. Quite a smart idea really, and one of the reasons I bought into the Windows ecosystem

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be fine for phones and tablets but PLEASE don't let this happen to PCs too!
I recently switched from Vista to Win 8.1 and I think the integration of apps into the PC environment is a huge mistake (no saying in where to install apps, only to name one issue).

I also get that a more simplified interface (and unified interface on multiple devices) gives younger and older people the chance to use those devices without a steep learning curve.

But the more advanced users get cut out in the ways you can change settings, just like on iOS.
What's next? No file explorer as we know and are used to? Only apps and no programs anymore?

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it would be fine for phones and tablets but PLEASE don't let this happen to PCs too!
I recently switched from Vista to Win 8.1 and I think the integration of apps into the PC environment is a huge mistake (no saying in where to install apps, only to name one issue).

I also get that a more simplified interface (and unified interface on multiple devices) gives younger and older people the chance to use those devices without a steep learning curve.

But the more advanced users get cut out in the ways you can change settings, just like on iOS.
What's next? No file explorer as we know and are used to? Only apps and no programs anymore?

I think it's clear with Windows 8.1 and even Update 1 that the backlash from power users and IT admins alike over the hidden nature of the desktop in Windows 8 is too big to fully abandon the desktop. It's sticking around for the next while...

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it's clear with Windows 8.1 and even Update 1 that the backlash from power users and IT admins alike over the hidden nature of the desktop in Windows 8 is too big to fully abandon the desktop. It's sticking around for the next while...

It's not only power users and IT admins. What about companies? With XP being abandoned by MS, the only OS worth upgrading to is Win7 which is 4 years old.
Win 8/8.1 was clearly aimed for touch control which makes sense on tablets and maybe Laptops but desktop monitors with touch screen aren't really that popular, qhite expensive and not viable for most users (be it private or company use). The Metro design is also fine for HTPCs since the big design makes sense on big screens where you're sitting not as close as to a desktop monitor.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think improving/changing the interface is a bad thing but only as long as it integrates with the every day use of the majority of the users in the world.
I wouldn't even mind having more versions of Windows to choose from (like Starter was for Win 7) but the differences in price must be adjusted, so if you want a "normal" interface for office stuff/administration of folders/... you shouldn't have to by a pricy business version for 50-100% than what the standard version costs.

A simplified interface like Metro would be a great solution if you could de-/activate it, just like Windows Media Center. Maybe even with a lock you can activate so you need a password to access the normal desktop again (e.g. for more public facilities).

But after MS got a lot of bad critics for almost ditching the desktop view it would likely be fatal if they were to continue it.

Let's see what Win 9 brings....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans