I was Pro Transparent tiles, now I'm not.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Remember how distinguished a Windows Phone was? When you see it magazines, movies, pictures, even if it was far to get a clear look, livetiles were vibrant and clear.

Guys, im sorry to tell you, but i guess the identity is gone.

Windows Phone 8.1.png

I seriously think this is wrong now.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
But they are still unique , they are LIVE TILES It will still show key information right on your start screen , they are giving what users requested for :smile:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
But they are still unique , they are LIVE TILES It will still show key information right on your start screen , they are giving what users requested for :smile:

what Im saying is, if someone looks at your phone, from lets say 2 meters far, while in a plane for example, he wont be able to recognize that its a WP.

that I think is a major loss.

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
what Im saying is, if someone looks at your phone, from lets say 2 meters far, while in a plane for example, he wont be able to recognize that its a WP.

When the tiles will flip , he would get a glimpse it's a windows phone , those square can be seen easily ;)
True new backgrounds will disappoint lot of people including my mom , she would stick with old crimson color with black theme . But hey we are getting something different :D

bayanii

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site

Its an option not mmandatory. Even then its still pretty obvious that its a windows phone.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Sure, its an option, which people will use, I hope im wrong, but when I saw the WPcentral homepage it just didn't feel there.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There's a whole thread about background images on the start screen and app screen. Which I find vile. At least this is unique.

I personally won't use it, I may give it a try though just because it's there. I'm not into the whole 'pimp my phone' thing. I thought the unique Start screen was enough to begin with but people like 'customizing' their phones. I guess lockscreen, glance screen and screen arrangement just isn't good enough for some.

Rawliglat x

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, even with the transparent tiles, a blind man can see from far away that its a windows phone.

Secondly its optional. For those (like you) that like the old windows phone and think its unique, they can choose to keep it.
For those (like me) that like options and a chance to make my own choice, I can choose transparent tiles.

First everyone complained about the lack of customization in windows phone in comparison to Android.
Now there is a complain about the chance of customization. Pfttt!

Its that simple. Anyone that thinks transparent tiles suck should use the normal tiles. But let those that like it use it.
There is nothing wrong with having options and a freedom of choice.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Stop flaming him, you guys! Why can't he address his concerns without ya'll grabbing his throat and hitting his head on the wall.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Man, why the anger? This is not complaining, this is being worried about something I like. That's it. Try to add value without trying to point out what other people are incapable of, I chose the phone from the very first beginning. I could have went android if I wanted, I really don't know who is crippled by choice problems here!

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Man, why the anger? This is not complaining, this is being worried about something I like. That's it. Try to add value without trying to point out what other people are incapable of, I chose the phone from the very first beginning. I could have went android if I wanted, I really don't know who is crippled by choice problems here!

Why the anger? I'll tell you why - because there are people on here whose fanboyism is so rampant that they can't stand to hear anything that remotely resembles criticism when it comes to their platform of choice. It's sad, really. This community honestly has a reputation among the rest of the Mobile Nations forums for being the most intolerant when it comes to differing opinions. Even Dan Rubino has complained about it and he's the editor in chief of this site, for pity's sake. People need to get a grip and realize it's just an operating system, not life and death. Microsoft isn't your "bro", theyre not your girlfriend, they don't love or care about you personally beyond keeping you happy enough to open your wallet the next time they come out with a new version of something. At the end of the day what they really care about is their shareholders and profits, just like any other company. It's not personal, folks. Get over it.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Anyway, back on topic. I think you may be overly concerned about this. From 2 meters away I don't think people would be able to tell what phone you're using anyway (except if it's a Nokia - their design language is pretty distinctive). And if they're they curious in the first place I'm sure they'd come closer or ask what phone it is. In all reality most people don't care what phone your using unless they're a tech enthusiast so I don't see that there's all that much to be worried about.

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey!

I am 100% with taymur.
It's not only about seeing the phone from 2 meters away, it's about the whole design language, which gets lost with the use of these images.
In my opinion you should not always give the choice to customers.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
.......anyway (except if it's a Nokia - their design language is pretty distinctive). And if they're.........

that's exactly my point. the screen isn't distinctive anymore, although the body still is.

There is something in products science, a statistic lets say, which entails that a person is most probably going to change a product he uses to what the majority around him has, meaning if you suddenly cant spot lumias around you, most probably you wont get it. I think that's why they were soooo colorful to begin with.

I think there is a video of this phenomena. as I remember the conversion ration was 3/5 of people around you (not sure), that's why they create something called critical mass, as from that point people can start trying to adopt other devices, otherwise no one will change the device they use.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hey!

I am 100% with taymur.
It's not only about seeing the phone from 2 meters away, it's about the whole design language, which gets lost with the use of these images.
In my opinion you should not always give the choice to customers.

totally agree.

Myspace and hi5 were destroyed because of customization........guess who still survives...... the one that only allows the iconic blue/ white colors.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure how you figure it's no longer distinctive. It certainly doesn't resemble the other two major operating systems in any significant way either physically or in UI so I don't think there's much danger of someone mistaking it for an iPhone or a Galaxy S. Much ado about nothing, IMO. I've literally had people walk right up to me in airports and look over my shoulder right at the phone and ask things like "Is that a new version of Android?"already and the transparencies aren't even here yet. Like I say, in my opinion if they're that curious they'll approach you and you'll have to educate then anyway.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
totally agree.

Myspace and hi5 were destroyed because of customization........guess who still survives...... the one that only allows the iconic blue/ white colors.

If you use this logic then Windows should have been dead long ago with all the crazy letting people change wallpapers and color schemes thing. By the same token Android shouldn't be dominating the market either. Lack of customization drives more people away than it attracts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo