I was Pro Transparent tiles, now I'm not.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: I'm I the only one hating the Start Screen Background???

I think this feature is going to be loved by some and disliked by others. I think the Start Screen could look too 'busy' with some types of backgrounds, but I'm thinking it could look great with others. As said above, the good thing is that this is completely optional, as most features should be. I'll certainly be giving it a go though.

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site

I will use it when update will release. If if i don't like it then i would disable this feature instead of making new threads about discomfort.

brunoadduarte

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I don't hate it, but it's gimmicky. I'd much rather have and use a full spectrum pallet for the background and the tiles.

I wanted this and even more colours:
1000w

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site

Eh, no. I can see how a dark grey background could work with the current accent colors but the ability to choose any color just doesn't appeal to me. They should just add the ability to pick darker and lighter shades of the current accents like what you see in the multi-tasker and people tiles and that would satisfy almost everyone.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I don't hate it, but it's gimmicky. I'd much rather have and use a full spectrum pallet for the background and the tiles.

I wanted this and even more colours:
http://static.squarespace.com/stati.../5028140ee4b0195d2ee37f84/1341178882923/1000w

Yes yes, very nice. Make a big picture of that neon green color, and set it as background. As simple as that.
While it would be nice to have more background background (not tile bg) colors, those on AMOLED screens would still use black to conserve battery.
I'm sure there is going to be an app that will allow you to choose any color from the pallete into gallery to set it as background. I'll make it if no one else will.

Oh yes, a question: they opened the API for lockscreen, what about background? Will apps be able to change that too?

Eh, no. I can see how a dark grey background could work with the current accent colors but the ability to choose any color just doesn't appeal to me. They should just add the ability to pick darker and lighter shades of the current accents like what you see in the multi-tasker and people tiles and that would satisfy almost everyone.

Noted for my future app ;)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

The things people find to complain about. So easily corrected or ignored. SMH.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

The things people find to complain about. So easily corrected or ignored. SMH.

I don't like tomatoes on burgers. No burger should ever have them preinstalled. I don't even want them as an optional extra.

;)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

I don't like tomatoes on burgers. No burger should ever have them preinstalled. I don't even want them as an optional extra.

;)

btw this is not the topic of this thread, the topic is:

Initially I thought green pepper was a very nice idea to add to a burger, now I think its changing the brand identity, making it taste more like pizza.

arkhale

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

I was not convinced at first, too. But I tried to play with the emulator and I liked it. :grin:

Capture.JPG

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The effect is very dependent on the wallpaper used and the placement of tiles of course. Lighter backgrounds won't look very good.

Xpider_MX

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Initially I thought green pepper was a very nice idea to add to a burger, now I think its changing the brand identity, making it taste more like pizza.

But it is not true that WP8.1 will lose "identity" because transparent tiles. Not at all. Tiles will be there, as always. Remember WP7? Only big and medium files, now we have Small tiles and WP is the same, only better.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site

And yet, Joe across the street might enjoy green peppers on his burger and has the option to do so. Just as you ultimately have the option to not do so.

At the end of the day, this no more changes the identity of Windows Phone than custom ringtones or different tiles sizes has.

yaro da yaar

Banned
Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
To the one who started this thread, i can now proudly say that i love the new background setting. There is no reason to hate it. Watch the wpcentral new article on it to remove your hatred.

adesonic

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I am annoyed at the introduction of hats, I do not like hats and will not wear one no matter how fashionable they become, I feel that I look more distinctive and unique without a hat.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
This is nonsense, the start screen still consists of live tiles (name another OS which consists of live tiles... yeah I didn't think so) and of cours there is a shiny glowing windows key on the front, wp is still plenty distinguishable

More importantly, people don't even know what a windows phone is no matter which colour my tiles have! They always say like "Oh that's a weird looking Android..."
Bottom line is, People can't mistake a wp for Android if they don't even know what a wp is

Will Van Gelderen1

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm really enjoying the transparent tiles with the background. If they had gone the route of the background behind non transparent tiles, you would never fully see the background. It works on Windows 8.1 because of your monitor size and the additional negative space. On WP you don't have that extra room, and would essentially have to move tiles around just to see the background

bkeran

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It's one thing if the background didn't move while swiping down, it's another that it does. This feature is what wins the transparent tiles for me. Who cares if someone who is far away can't identify it? When you swipe down they will see how beautifully the background image and the tiles interact with one another.
Personally, I use an image of a very green leaf or a very red sun...Something with apparent color so that it looks just like the old tiles but it's actually a beautiful image.

Sicarius123

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
The identity never worked in the first place because pigheaded devs kept creating entire tiles rather than allowing the accent colour to shine through. At least transparent tiles are encouraging devs to create transparent tiles which will work with accent colours.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett