04-07-2014 11:19 AM
429 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    I still have one doubt , today when I saw official video of wp8.1 . When he used notification center in 630 .it has 4 quick setting toggles .and when he used 1520 it has 5 . I wonder whether it depends on the 2 column or 3 column tiles
    As shown in the demo, it DOES NOT depend on the number of columns, but on the screen size. Bigger screens will have 5 toggles.
    04-03-2014 04:48 AM
    no man! no miracle. people were expecting the feature list that wpcentral and tom warren/the verge would keep updating for us. also remember that the features that wp users have been requesting are not unique or esoteric. they are standard features that have been available on ios and android for a while. joe bellfiore is awesome; but we should not be rejoicing just because we have separate volume controls. it's 2014 for heaven's sake; yet windows phone users are celebrating volume controls! that stuff was in android cupcake...they better bring file manager in some GDR or somethin'...
    Dont you think that for some time we should just stop comparing windows phone with other mobile platforms..???
    Its a big day for windows phone.. we should be happy that these features are coming..
    Better first live this moment and then later think about the comparisons stuff..!!
    BIGPADDY, BobLobIaw and X0LARIUM like this.
    04-03-2014 04:58 AM
    no man! no miracle. people were expecting the feature list that wpcentral and tom warren/the verge would keep updating for us. also remember that the features that wp users have been requesting are not unique or esoteric. they are standard features that have been available on ios and android for a while. joe bellfiore is awesome; but we should not be rejoicing just because we have separate volume controls. it's 2014 for heaven's sake; yet windows phone users are celebrating volume controls! that stuff was in android cupcake...they better bring file manager in some GDR or somethin'...
    I agree with you on this & your 2 previous posts also. WP is so far behind others that what it's getting just now is already present in Android iOS since more than 1 year ago. I am highly disappointed with the update. They could not bring a file manager even after 1.5 years of the launch of WP8. MS is just making my decision easier to switch to Android.
    04-03-2014 04:59 AM
    Come on people!!
    You have just looked at one session. On that session they told us that there are 100 new features in WP8.1.
    How can you belive that all of these can be covered in just one session??

I agree that an updated feature list should have been a good thing. 100 new features is way more than the feature lists we know so far.

BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 05:22 AM
    Wow, such hatred showing up. Lists of things "we" [S]"need"[/S] want. I'm really disgusted with all of the negativity, profanity, and hatred going on. Get a grip on reality. It's a PHONE! Life will go on. Three years ago, probably half of those doing the whining here didn't even have a smart phone. And guess what? They were still able to take in oxygen, feed their cells with it, and expel carbon dioxide. There is absolutely not one single thing on these lists that is a need.
    04-03-2014 06:50 AM
    Something tells me tomorrow's keynote will be special :)
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 06:53 AM
    Wow, such hatred showing up. Lists of things "we" "need" want. I'm really disgusted with all of the negativity, profanity, and hatred going on. Get a grip on reality. It's a PHONE! Life will go on. Three years ago, probably half of those doing the whining here didn't even have a smart phone. And guess what? They were still able to take in oxygen, feed their cells with it, and expel carbon dioxide. There is absolutely not one single thing on these lists that is a need.
    I just tell the folks spewing out the most hate that they should probably just buy something else.

I tell them that if a product causes anger then it is not the right product for them.
    04-03-2014 06:53 AM
    Something tells me tomorrow's keynote will be special :)
    I think there will be something good today and tomorrow there will be something awesome.
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    04-03-2014 06:57 AM
    I think there will be something good today and tomorrow there will be something awesome.
    I hope so. Been waiting to hear about new phones (for Tmo) since Nokia world 2013, My wife is excited about the 630(orange) and I think I heard Tmo will be getting that, but I really want something else!
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 08:03 AM
    Just keep in mind that this is a developer event, not a Windows Phone event. Hopefully there will be more coming, but if there isn't, don't set yourself up for a fall.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 08:17 AM
    Wow, such hatred showing up. Lists of things "we" [S]"need"[/S] want. I'm really disgusted with all of the negativity, profanity, and hatred going on. Get a grip on reality. It's a PHONE! Life will go on. Three years ago, probably half of those doing the whining here didn't even have a smart phone. And guess what? They were still able to take in oxygen, feed their cells with it, and expel carbon dioxide. There is absolutely not one single thing on these lists that is a need.
    Yes people are complaining and getting mad. They should be. Many people here are supporting Microsoft as a company, not just the phone. I like a lot of the things the company does and always roll my eyes when someone talks about them like they are the evil empire, then talk about how great Google is. When you support a company like that, which many people here do, it is very disappointing to see that they are lagging behind so badly. People are invested. Yes, we can go to another OS, but the idea is that we shouldn't be thinking about something like that at the moment that MS just made the "big reveal" for their new OS. We should be excited about what is coming, but we shouldnt have to force ourselves to be.

Sometimes it seems like they arent even trying. I love the layout of the OS and the general concept, but it still needs to evolve. Not small changes every 18 months. How about instead of doing a huge release every other year, they do smaller releases with new features every 6 months? I don't think it took them THAT LONG to get the notification center working. They probably could have worked hard on it for 4 months, tested it for 2, and released it. Even that seems like a pretty long release cycle for a feature like that. This isn't like the change from WP 7 to WP 8. The underlying architecture is the same. I have to assume that most of this time was spent working on Cortana, which is cool, but didn't have be released alongside everything else.

If they don't have enough time to add things like a file manager, that's fine. Open it up to the OEMs. Give them the same freedom that Google gives Samsung when developing a Galaxy. Let them customize their phones beyond just the hardware. Not just Nokia, but all OEMs. Let them have their own unique features that go beyond the apps that everyone uninstalls when they first buy a phone.

Also, and most importantly, this is a windows phone forum full of disappointed people. Everyone here has every right to complain all they want. Create a "The WP 8.1 sucks because..." sticky if you want to filter all of it out. Until then, this thread is called "BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread", and people are going to discuss it, not just praise it.
    Kashan Osama, J Ice70 and Ek-Balam like this.
    04-03-2014 08:19 AM
    Oh, the DRAMA!
    DavidinCT, BobLobIaw and jleebiker like this.
    04-03-2014 08:32 AM
    Almost time for the second keynote!!!
    04-03-2014 09:19 AM
    Almost time for the second keynote!!!
    Yup - I've got it queued up...
    04-03-2014 09:23 AM
    Just keep in mind that this is a developer event, not a Windows Phone event. Hopefully there will be more coming, but if there isn't, don't set yourself up for a fall.
    True, but is such an event even happening? There was one for wp8, but according to the marketing this is only 8".1" so are we going to get such an event? I don't remember a launch event for W8.1 but who knows, things change.
    04-03-2014 09:24 AM
    Yup - I've got it queued up...
    im at work put I have everything ready to set up straight away for when it starts so I shouldn't miss anything!

Traffic you better not hold me up!
    04-03-2014 09:24 AM
    WPCentral doesn't seem to have a live blog of the second keynote. Im guessing that means it wont be WP related?
    04-03-2014 09:25 AM
    im at work put I have everything ready to set up straight away for when it starts so I shouldn't miss anything!

Traffic you better not hold me up!
    I'm at work, too. Thank God for three monitors! Yesterday I had the video on half a monitor, SQL Server Management Studio on the other half, WPCentral on half of the other monitor, and work website on the other half, and Outlook by itself on the laptop screen.

WPCentral doesn't seem to have a live blog of the second keynote. Im guessing that means it wont be WP related?
    Since this is a developer's conference, odds are that this keynote is going to be more directed just at developers. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    04-03-2014 09:30 AM
    Rushing off home!
    04-03-2014 09:31 AM
    I'm at work, too. Thank God for three monitors! Yesterday I had the video on half a monitor, SQL Server Management Studio on the other half, WPCentral on half of the other monitor, and work website on the other half, and Outlook by itself on the laptop screen.

Since this is a developer's conference, odds are that this keynote is going to be more directed just at developers. I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
    I looked at the schedule for the next 2 days and it seemed to be entirely developer driven, so I guess that's it for WP this time around.
    04-03-2014 09:33 AM
    I looked at the schedule for the next 2 days and it seemed to be entirely developer driven, so I guess that's it for WP this time around.
    There will be more on the Windows Phone story, but it will likely be stuff directed at developers. Yesterday's keynote gave a lot to consumers, even though it is a developer's conference.
    MicrosoftFoLife likes this.
    04-03-2014 09:34 AM
    Under 45 minutes and day two starts. Lets get this going!
    04-03-2014 09:46 AM
    They should have free stuff for people that watch it live as well. We're taking the time to watch it like the people that are there. I think we should get something. lol
    markfirst and S Vaibhav like this.
    04-03-2014 09:49 AM
    Will there be a live from WPCentral?
    04-03-2014 09:51 AM
    They should have free stuff for people that watch it live as well. We're taking the time to watch it like the people that are there. I think we should get something. lol
    We didn't pay the 1000$ entrance ticket...
    04-03-2014 09:51 AM
429 ... 1213141516 ...