BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
So now no more sessions focusing on Windows Phone 8.1..??
Was that last session the first and last session on windows phone 8.1..?/?
Microsoft has nothing left to reveal or show or introduce??

(I am expecting my questions' answer as a BIG NO..:hope:)

There still today and tomorrow for MS to show more features of WP8.1.

Kashyapjani

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Smartphones and other related devices are developing at a very fast pace and if MS isn't ready to push its latest products/features to the masses before its competitors, I don't understand the point of bearing the cost of producing these features. Makes me believe that MS is just trying to keep up with the competition and not move ahead of it. I fear they'll lose supporters. Not me but general consumers aren't as patient as the long time fans. Deliver your products when people are hyped up for them, MS.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I think some people have to take into account this is a developer conference and WP8.1 will still be in development so they could release more features before it dated release and fix the issues.

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, such hatred. Its as if you people were expecting a miracle of some sort to happen...? Its a good step forward - sure not everything you demand/expect made it, or at least didn't got presented. To be honest, I'll wait and see what the developer preview brings before I start raining curses. Yes, I too would loved to see them talk about WP 8.1 all day long, but they were on a time schedule and had tons of other stuff to show off. I *really* dig the fact that you can now code in several languages for WP, that you can migrate your W8.1 apps to WP8.1 with almost zero effort. I also really dig the changes they made to W8.1 with Update 1.

And yes, too bad about Cortana coming in mid 2015 ouside te states. But to be honest, I've yet to see people use Siri or Google Now around here. Maybe because I'm Dutch and we're not really into stuff like that, but I won't sorely miss, or need it.

no man! no miracle. people were expecting the feature list that wpcentral and tom warren/the verge would keep updating for us. also remember that the features that wp users have been requesting are not unique or esoteric. they are standard features that have been available on ios and android for a while. joe bellfiore is awesome; but we should not be rejoicing just because we have separate volume controls. it's 2014 for heaven's sake; yet windows phone users are celebrating volume controls! that stuff was in android cupcake...they better bring file manager in some GDR or somethin'...

shadownjoke

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I still have one doubt , today when I saw official video of wp8.1 . When he used notification center in 630 .it has 4 quick setting toggles .and when he used 1520 it has 5 . I wonder whether it depends on the 2 column or 3 column tiles
As shown in the demo, it DOES NOT depend on the number of columns, but on the screen size. Bigger screens will have 5 toggles.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
no man! no miracle. people were expecting the feature list that wpcentral and tom warren/the verge would keep updating for us. also remember that the features that wp users have been requesting are not unique or esoteric. they are standard features that have been available on ios and android for a while. joe bellfiore is awesome; but we should not be rejoicing just because we have separate volume controls. it's 2014 for heaven's sake; yet windows phone users are celebrating volume controls! that stuff was in android cupcake...they better bring file manager in some GDR or somethin'...

Dont you think that for some time we should just stop comparing windows phone with other mobile platforms..???
Its a big day for windows phone.. we should be happy that these features are coming..
Better first live this moment and then later think about the comparisons stuff..!!

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you on this & your 2 previous posts also. WP is so far behind others that what it's getting just now is already present in Android iOS since more than 1 year ago. I am highly disappointed with the update. They could not bring a file manager even after 1.5 years of the launch of WP8. MS is just making my decision easier to switch to Android.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Come on people!!
You have just looked at one session. On that session they told us that there are 100 new features in WP8.1.
How can you belive that all of these can be covered in just one session??

I agree that an updated feature list should have been a good thing. 100 new features is way more than the feature lists we know so far.

:smile:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Wow, such hatred showing up. Lists of things "we" "need" want. I'm really disgusted with all of the negativity, profanity, and hatred going on. Get a grip on reality. It's a PHONE! Life will go on. Three years ago, probably half of those doing the whining here didn't even have a smart phone. And guess what? They were still able to take in oxygen, feed their cells with it, and expel carbon dioxide. There is absolutely not one single thing on these lists that is a need.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Wow, such hatred showing up. Lists of things "we" "need" want. I'm really disgusted with all of the negativity, profanity, and hatred going on. Get a grip on reality. It's a PHONE! Life will go on. Three years ago, probably half of those doing the whining here didn't even have a smart phone. And guess what? They were still able to take in oxygen, feed their cells with it, and expel carbon dioxide. There is absolutely not one single thing on these lists that is a need.

I just tell the folks spewing out the most hate that they should probably just buy something else.

I tell them that if a product causes anger then it is not the right product for them.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I think there will be something good today and tomorrow there will be something awesome.
I hope so. Been waiting to hear about new phones (for Tmo) since Nokia world 2013, My wife is excited about the 630(orange) and I think I heard Tmo will be getting that, but I really want something else!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just keep in mind that this is a developer event, not a Windows Phone event. Hopefully there will be more coming, but if there isn't, don't set yourself up for a fall. :wink:

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes people are complaining and getting mad. They should be. Many people here are supporting Microsoft as a company, not just the phone. I like a lot of the things the company does and always roll my eyes when someone talks about them like they are the evil empire, then talk about how great Google is. When you support a company like that, which many people here do, it is very disappointing to see that they are lagging behind so badly. People are invested. Yes, we can go to another OS, but the idea is that we shouldn't be thinking about something like that at the moment that MS just made the "big reveal" for their new OS. We should be excited about what is coming, but we shouldnt have to force ourselves to be.

Sometimes it seems like they arent even trying. I love the layout of the OS and the general concept, but it still needs to evolve. Not small changes every 18 months. How about instead of doing a huge release every other year, they do smaller releases with new features every 6 months? I don't think it took them THAT LONG to get the notification center working. They probably could have worked hard on it for 4 months, tested it for 2, and released it. Even that seems like a pretty long release cycle for a feature like that. This isn't like the change from WP 7 to WP 8. The underlying architecture is the same. I have to assume that most of this time was spent working on Cortana, which is cool, but didn't have be released alongside everything else.

If they don't have enough time to add things like a file manager, that's fine. Open it up to the OEMs. Give them the same freedom that Google gives Samsung when developing a Galaxy. Let them customize their phones beyond just the hardware. Not just Nokia, but all OEMs. Let them have their own unique features that go beyond the apps that everyone uninstalls when they first buy a phone.

Also, and most importantly, this is a windows phone forum full of disappointed people. Everyone here has every right to complain all they want. Create a "The WP 8.1 sucks because..." sticky if you want to filter all of it out. Until then, this thread is called "BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread", and people are going to discuss it, not just praise it.

thundr51

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Just keep in mind that this is a developer event, not a Windows Phone event. Hopefully there will be more coming, but if there isn't, don't set yourself up for a fall. :wink:

True, but is such an event even happening? There was one for wp8, but according to the marketing this is only 8".1" so are we going to get such an event? I don't remember a launch event for W8.1 but who knows, things change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon