BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread

Eby David

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Off Topic!...
Would cortana be available along with the dev preview for countries outside US?...
Coz in the announcement, Joe told that cortana will initially be available in the US then UK and Canada and then the rest of world!..

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

I realize it sounds like im overreacting, but I am still on 7.8. I was expecting something new and interesting. In fact I was certain the 930 would be an Icon that I could use on my carrier, but it isn't. My standards and expectations weren't that high. I wasn't excepting an SD cart slot or a file manager or anything that was even remotely unrealistic.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Off Topic!...
Would cortana be available along with the dev preview for countries outside US?...
Coz in the announcement, Joe told that cortana will initially be available in the US then UK and Canada and then the rest of world!..

No it wont only for US at first.

nkaufmann

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Could be hardware, could be software, could be more SDK goodness, could be more about Microsoft purchase. I have no idea other than to believe it a total waste of money if they throw another big shindig only to say what's been said.

I hope it is something hardware wise. I am so dissapointed. Would be different if the 930 were coming out soon.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I would be very happy with that! My only requirement for the next device that I purchase is that it gets updated every once in awhile. My HTC Titan II received 1 update in 2 years, and I don't even remember what was in it. Probably just some bug fixes.

I think that each keynote they will show off a different OEM's device to keeps us interested.

shmsnh

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Is there any chance Nokia will announce "Lumia Cherry Blossom Pink" later today? It would be hilarious if they keep that name. I was hoping Elop would say something about that.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I expected more information... like limitations on older devices, apps on sdcard, and stuff like that.
Keep in mind that it took three hours for them to give us the high-level overview that they gave us.... :wink:

I realize it sounds like im overreacting, but I am still on 7.8. I was expecting something new and interesting. In fact I was certain the 930 would be an Icon that I could use on my carrier, but it isn't. My standards and expectations weren't that high. I wasn't excepting an SD cart slot or a file manager or anything that was even remotely unrealistic.
Keep in mind that this is not a hardware conference - it is a developer's conference.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Is there any chance Nokia will announce "Lumia Cherry Blossom Pink" later today? It would be hilarious if they keep that name. I was hoping Elop would say something about that.

They may do but I'm unsure lets wait and see what happens.

I doubt they will keep cherry blossom pink if they do mention it.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I thought the BUILD day 1 keynote presentation was well done overall. It was informative and entertaining. I'm excited to experience WP8.1 for myself. It looks like they addressed some key areas and I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in my daily usage. The 930 looks tempting, but I'm still not sold on how it looks. Probably something I'll have to see in person to really appreciate it.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that it took three hours for them to give us the high-level overview that they gave us.... :wink:

Keep in mind that this is not a hardware conference - it is a developer's conference.

But its also a marketing conference. A time for them to promote the latest and greatest that they have to offer, including hardware. Build gets a lot of media attention. There still may be an announcement about some new hardware, but im a pessimistic person.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Yawn. In fact, not yawn. OURAGE! Nothing for ATT? I don't even care if its a Lumia. Samsung's new phone is a Verizon exclusive, the Icon is a Verizon exclusive, the 930 will be available everywhere but the US... I have been looking forward to hearing about the next phone that I can actually purchase on my carrier for a long time now, only for them to announce nothing? The flagship ATT phone in the US is the 1520? Really? A phablet? A phone for a niche market?

I know they COULD announce something at 5:00 PM but I highly doubt it. Its probably just going to be about apps and sales and crap like that. Are we going to hear anything from Samsung, Sony, HTC, or any other device maker? I hope so.

Wow. Relax. This is BUILD 2014. NOT an ATT specific or even hardware specific conference. Besides, this is just the first day.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things before everyone flies into panic mode (though it seems it's too late for some of you...):

-I'm willing to bet that the reason why the 930 is so far off is because of some sort of exclusitivity deal with Verizon that they have to wait to expire before they can proceed. I don't know this for sure, and I won't claim to have any insider info, but knowing the US market and carrier structure, and about Verizon in particular, this seems to make the most sense.
-Elop said "we will continue to push forward with the Icon and the 1520 in the US." He did NOT say "The Icon will remain a Verizon exclusive in the US." Maybe wait and see what they announce tonight before flipping out? The event tonight is #morelumia, so there's obviously more hardware details to discuss. Patience, people.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Cool, We should get the new tiles (3 rows) on the 928 as a option(4.5" display). Over all I am impressed, If Cortana is as good as they show, and not as worthless as Siri is (most people who have a iPhone never use it for any thing more than texting).... After the coolness factor wears off, will it still be usefull ? People will only use it if it helps then in the long run, it might just be able to do that.

Over all the show was good, love the new feature set, this is a lot of catch up on things(other OS's have had for a while) but, with a new to Windows phone that has a Microsoft twist on things.

The 10th cant come soon enough....

As for the Nokia new models, I could give a crap less. I have had nothing but a NIGHTMARE with their support (going on MONTHS NOW) and I still have endless issues with this 928. WORST COMANY I HAVE EVER DELT WITH. I dont think I will ever buy another Nokia phone again as long as there is other models that are good (Samsung and HTC will have WP devices on Verizon)....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo