BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
well all that stuff is cool, but how about a down-arrow in the virtual keyboard? how about organizing the settings menu? how about auto-correct and word suggest turned on when typing in IE search? how about allowing windows phone to redirect to here maps instead of bing maps when clicking on address of a business on the web? how about doing something about the ridiculously long app launch time? how about bringing "search nearby" function to here maps instead of the utterly useless "nearby" list that almost never has what u r looking for? how about fixing email attachment function and doing something about that hideous email UI? cortana is cool, but the stuff I mentioned is what makes my blood boil when I use my wp device. also do you people realize how embarrassing it is that when u have a wp device and you try to share location or web page with non-wp devices and they get a weird message that does not direct them to the location or page u r trying to share? how embarrassing is that? so is wp 8.1 doing anything about that? how about that file manager? I have 200 educational videos (I am a med student) stored in my lumia 920 and when I open the video library, I see all vids listed in a strange order and there's no way for me to search for a particular video.....so is wp 8.1 doing anything about the primitive media "library" that we have? forget about the gimmicks, I am talking about the real stuff that we need. is that stuff fixed? is the painfully slow camera app any faster on wp 8.1? has anyone been genius enough to figure out how to easily edit videos on wp devices, which are supposedly the videographer's choice for superior photography capability? seriously, how messed up is that, that such glaring limitations remain in this OS? nevermind I wont get epocrates, or venmo on wp. screw the apps, they're too slow to open up on wp anyways. but at least fix the dam OS.

abhishek8605

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing that was mentioned a few months ago was that we could swipe to the right to clear live tiles, but this hasn't been demonstrated in the SDK leaks nor at Build. Anyone have any idea if this is still going to be in 8.1? It would be a welcomed feature for me.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Daniel said 10th April but either way for non-US customers it sucks mostly as Cortana the best bit, has been left out for rest of the world. So no matter when I get my preview, I won't be as happy.
But what if we change the region to US in settings? Will we be able to get Cortana??

nishant786

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This was the most disappointing day of the year for me. I waited all year for this. I was expecting Microsoft to go all the way. With full fanfare, hyping up each feature and multiple device launches and product roll outs.
Belfiore couldn't evening f****ing be bothered to state every feature "go on the blog and see"?!! What the hell. This was basically one of the biggest updates ever and the only one in more than 18 months. You should have rolled out multiple phones. Shown multiple big apps coming. had a blitz kreig of marketing.
But as always you half assed it. Microsoft the only reason Apple got there was because they hyped things as small as their packaging.
You couldn't even be bothered to show off your OS properly.
See you in summer when everything's forgotten.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
So now no more sessions focusing on Windows Phone 8.1..??
Was that last session the first and last session on windows phone 8.1..?/?
Microsoft has nothing left to reveal or show or introduce??

(I am expecting my questions' answer as a BIG NO..:hope:)

Amritash Pathania

May 4, 2013
Visit site
I still have one doubt , today when I saw official video of wp8.1 . When he used notification center in 630 .it has 4 quick setting toggles .and when he used 1520 it has 5 . I wonder whether it depends on the 2 column or 3 column tiles

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
This was the most disappointing day of the year for me. I waited all year for this. I was expecting Microsoft to go all the way. With full fanfare, hyping up each feature and multiple device launches and product roll outs.
Belfiore couldn't evening f****ing be bothered to state every feature "go on the blog and see"?!! What the hell. This was basically one of the biggest updates ever and the only one in more than 18 months. You should have rolled out multiple phones. Shown multiple big apps coming. had a blitz kreig of marketing.
But as always you half assed it. Microsoft the only reason Apple got there was because they hyped things as small as their packaging.
You couldn't even be bothered to show off your OS properly.
See you in summer when everything's forgotten.

Microsoft needs a marketing boost. It needs to revamp its image and invigorate its customers with new services and products that are on time and above what is expected.

Last edited:

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
well, chances are that MS does not see windows phone as that important. in fact you can even say that about the way they view windows as well. they make their money in other ways.

I suppose if this continues, there wont be anyone left in this forum next year. Apple is about to introduce a large iPhone which will pretty much convert 50% of wpcentral members who were attracted to nokia's hardware. The other 50% will leave when they realize that they don't need to spend hours of their time day dreaming of wp's potential, waiting for a certain App to come, or for that illusive map functionality..think about it: who is willing to wait another 18 months for a file manager or an intuitive video editor or an alphabetical settings menu?....at this point, I keep my 920 because I have to; I paid 450$ for it so I figured i'd be going to hell if I keep changing phones yearly while people are dying of hunger in india. but rest assured folks, my next phone is not going to be a windows phone device. and for those who are thinking of a yoga pro 2, keep in mind that its wifi chip is garbage and video (youtube, streaming, amazon, hulu) looks terrible. don't be fooled by the high res screen: the only thing that looks good on the screen is metro, nothing else! aight....done complaining. now back to studying.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I wanted the 930 to have microSD and/or more internal storage, and to come to AT&T. I guess it's too hard to ask for a 5 inch high end Lumia with microSD. I guess I'll wait for the 1020 successor. And considering its MPs and how much storage it takes up, it BETTER have microSD, or a lot of built in storage!!

Yazan Abdullah

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
"on par or above "

it took 18 months to get separate volume controls. expect 18 more months for alphabetically-organized settings menu, and 18 more months for a downward arrow key. heck by that time nobody will be using phones anyways; by the time a windows phone user can easily edit a video with a wp smartphone, people will be editing them with their google glass or apple glass....

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I still can't believe Skype doesn't have file sharing. Now Cortana will be US only atm. Waited 3 years since L800 I'm done.

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
"on par or above "

it took 18 months to get separate volume controls. expect 18 more months for alphabetically-organized settings menu, and 18 more months for a downward arrow key. heck by that time nobody will be using phones anyways; by the time a windows phone user can easily edit a video with a wp smartphone, people will be editing them with their google glass or apple glass....

You're right, but we have limited choices:
1. Abandon WP
2. Stay with WP and continue providing feedback
3. Take more aggressive action

The logical path for me would be #2

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Wow, such hatred. Its as if you people were expecting a miracle of some sort to happen...? Its a good step forward - sure not everything you demand/expect made it, or at least didn't got presented. To be honest, I'll wait and see what the developer preview brings before I start raining curses. Yes, I too would loved to see them talk about WP 8.1 all day long, but they were on a time schedule and had tons of other stuff to show off. I *really* dig the fact that you can now code in several languages for WP, that you can migrate your W8.1 apps to WP8.1 with almost zero effort. I also really dig the changes they made to W8.1 with Update 1.

And yes, too bad about Cortana coming in mid 2015 ouside te states. But to be honest, I've yet to see people use Siri or Google Now around here. Maybe because I'm Dutch and we're not really into stuff like that, but I won't sorely miss, or need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12