BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I've been disappointed by Microsoft more times than I care to remember. Each conference promises hope for the future... which is of course the main goal. But they overwhelmingly fail to deliver, or deliver far short of what they promise. But this time around I actually think things might be a bit different.

Microsoft appeared to coordinate the timing of the release of OneNote for Mac, followed a week or two later by the release of Office for iPad, and now this week //build/ . The Apple-centric forums have been covering Microsoft for nearly the last month. That's well played by Microsoft, IMO.

With Office for iPad, Microsoft has drawn attention to their Office 365 subscription. Even people who are vehemently opposed to renting software had to take a second look at the cross-platform accessibility of Office via subscription and end up subscribing. I'm one of those people.

The big take-away from yesterday's keynote, IMO, was the universal apps. Microsoft has promised this type of cross-platform capabilities in the past, numerous times, and fallen short in the execution. But this time it seems actually possible. If so, Microsoft could leapfrog past Apple and allow developers to produce a tsunami of apps for WindowsPhone, Windows RT, and XBox, in addition to full Windows. I don't know if it will actually happen... many things need to fall into place first, but this possibility is quite interesting.

I'd like to dub the last 3 weeks for Microsoft, "The Empire Strikes Back". :evil:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon