BUILD 2014 Live - WP8.1 Discussion Thread

akks

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I worry if wp8.1 will cause lag in our dual core devices like 820? We have been seeing the videos only on quad core devices... More background processes, cortana, notification centre, start screen background .. The OS is becoming heftier like android...

Mirainashe

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Not too sure what to make of all this. Big hype,HUGE letdown. Typical Microsoft and Nokia. The rest of the world has not been frozen in time. Good update,but we have to wait forever for it. Silly

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not too sure what to make of all this. Big hype,HUGE letdown. Typical Microsoft and Nokia. The rest of the world has not been frozen in time. Good update,but we have to wait forever for it. Silly

You're right. A whole 2 weeks and then we'll finally get it. How dreadful. I'm sure all of those Android fans are laughing at us b/c we have to wait 2 whole weeks, while they all get the next version of Android the day that it's announced. MS is so far behind.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
You're right. A whole 2 weeks and then we'll finally get it. How dreadful. I'm sure all of those Android fans are laughing at us b/c we have to wait 2 whole weeks, while they all get the next version of Android the day that it's announced. MS is so far behind.

not so sure about that one. Android rolls out the update, bur only to nexus devices. They release the aosp that can be installed, but that is a bit different.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
well, chances are that MS does not see windows phone as that important. in fact you can even say that about the way they view windows as well. they make their money in other ways.

I suppose if this continues, there wont be anyone left in this forum next year. Apple is about to introduce a large iPhone which will pretty much convert 50% of wpcentral members who were attracted to nokia's hardware. The other 50% will leave when they realize that they don't need to spend hours of their time day dreaming of wp's potential, waiting for a certain App to come, or for that illusive map functionality..think about it: who is willing to wait another 18 months for a file manager or an intuitive video editor or an alphabetical settings menu?....at this point, I keep my 920 because I have to; I paid 450$ for it so I figured i'd be going to hell if I keep changing phones yearly while people are dying of hunger in india. but rest assured folks, my next phone is not going to be a windows phone device. and for those who are thinking of a yoga pro 2, keep in mind that its wifi chip is garbage and video (youtube, streaming, amazon, hulu) looks terrible. don't be fooled by the high res screen: the only thing that looks good on the screen is metro, nothing else! aight....done complaining. now back to studying.

Thank God.

TheJoester09

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think some of you are forgetting—even though it's been mentioned numerous times by others—BUILD a DEVELOPER conference. Yesterday's reveal was centered around the features that will best help the DEVELOPERS. This happened with Mango as well...some stuff was announced at BUILD—for the developers—and the rest of the consumer-facing features were shown off at a later date. The WPCentral team has clearly had WP8.1 for a good while, and they've confirmed some of the features that you all are complaining about not being present during yesterday's keynote. They couldn't have dedicated the entire 3 hours to WP8.1 when there was a TON of other stuff that they needed to discuss. Just be patient. Just because a feature wasn't discussed yesterday doesn't mean it's not coming, and just beacuse a feature isn't implemented in the way that you wanted it to be doesn't mean that the actual implementation will be bad.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Ehhh, you are right to some degree. No, I don't think that they revealed every feature of WP 8.1 yesterday, but that did list the major selling points. Im sure there are a few hundred minor tweaks that make the general experience better, but all I got out of yesterday was Cortana, messaging center, any-size tiles, and transparent tiles. If there was something else to really get excited about, they would have mentioned it. Most of that stuff we already knew about, and really, who do you think even leaks that info? Its probably MS and Nokia. If they had something new and exciting to talk about, they would have done it yesterday, if for no other reason than that they knew that most people were aware of the new features. It would have made sense to say "see we have all those features, plus a whole lot more!". Instead they said "yeah, that's about it".

While I know that this is a developer conference, new features and phones are VERY important to developers. They need a reason to be excited about the OS. They need to feel like these things are going to sell so that their apps will sell too. What other high-profile Microsoft events are happening in the near future? Does it really make more sense to make major announcements when only the people who care about WP right now are going to hear about it?

They goofed. I know a lot of you cant accept it, but they did.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Most of the things that have been added to the phone are things that you will never know about. Take Mango for instance. There were more than 500 features added. What did you get out of it? TellMe? Improved multitasking? Threaded conversations? Yeah, not much. The rest was for developers. It opened up a lot of possibilities for apps. WP 8 did even more. And now 8.1 will build upon that. Yet people continue to complain about "Why not this?" or "Why didn't we get that?" What many of you don't realize is that 1) you've never built an operating system, and 2) in many cases what you're asking for is something that max 8 people will use (yes, I understate it, but only to drive home the point), so there's no point in building it.

Yes, I do wish that everyone could get everything they wanted. But this is the real world, and until Jesus returns, we'll have to deal with being human beings.

Last edited:

Oliverspin

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Ehhh, you are right to some degree. No, I don't think that they revealed every feature of WP 8.1 yesterday, but that did list the major selling points. Im sure there are a few hundred minor tweaks that make the general experience better, but all I got out of yesterday was Cortana, messaging center, any-size tiles, and transparent tiles. If there was something else to really get excited about, they would have mentioned it. Most of that stuff we already knew about, and really, who do you think even leaks that info? Its probably MS and Nokia. If they had something new and exciting to talk about, they would have done it yesterday, if for no other reason than that they knew that most people were aware of the new features. It would have made sense to say "see we have all those features, plus a whole lot more!". Instead they said "yeah, that's about it".

While I know that this is a developer conference, new features and phones are VERY important to developers. They need a reason to be excited about the OS. They need to feel like these things are going to sell so that their apps will sell too. What other high-profile Microsoft events are happening in the near future? Does it really make more sense to make major announcements when only the people who care about WP right now are going to hear about it?

They goofed. I know a lot of you cant accept it, but they did.

I agree. Microsoft need to keep developers AND users happy. Being excited about ALL their features gets others excited. Slow motion video, closing apps, camera app, etc. are all very exciting and they need to put it out there!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I might watch the start and then decide if it's something I want to see. I might also use lunch time (keynote starts at 11:30 here) to go to the Microsoft Store and get an Icon.... :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium