The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-04-2014 03:37 PM
85 1234
tools
    No, but the IPhone 6 & IPhablet(If it exist) will put a dent in Samsung S5 & Note4 sales though(In the US & Western Europe).
    04-03-2014 03:56 PM
    Straight Answer is No.

iOS as a mobile operating system, is, to me, the leading OS in terms of fan base and users. Yes, I know that Android makes up the most amount of marketshare and is on more devices than any other OS, but for me the market leader is still Apple.

In terms of Windows Phone, don't get me wrong, i'm as passionate as anyone about the platform. But, the OS still has maturing to do. I've had a device since WP7 (The Omnia 7) and it's come a long way. But, it isn't done yet, nor is it even close to "killing off any other OS".

As stated in other comments, competition is definitely a good thing. I feel as though Google, Samsung (as the leading manufacturer of Android handsets) and Apple are both jumping on the latest hype train and not being creative, but being "Gimmicky" in a lot of ways. Some innovation is shining through from these guys, but they are really lacking creativity. Anyone who has seen the Galaxy S5 and the latest iteration of the Android OS knows what I'm getting at: Boring.

This is where WP steps in. Creativity is coming in waves. Whilst it is helping WP's market share, there is still a long way to go but it is these new ideas and creativity that we are seeing that is slowly making it hard for Blackberry to come back. Blackberry dropped from 4.1% marketshare to 1.7% over the last year. I dare say that has to do with Windows Phone is some regards..

Anyway as long as you enjoy YOUR smartphone and YOUR phone is what you want it to be, then that's all that matters. Everything else will just fall in to place as long as Microsoft continues it's push.
    04-03-2014 06:02 PM
    Nay. Everybody (maybe except us WP fans) loves Apple as hell.
    04-03-2014 07:42 PM
    no, ios will be it's own dead. It's already happening
    LOL! There are some dreamers on here. iOS has record sales year over year, and they are dying? iPhones account for over half of all smartphones sold on the 4 major U.S.carriers.
    04-03-2014 09:51 PM
    Apple (in the USA) represents status like Mercedes Benz; Rolex and Dom Perignon and because of that as well as all of the iPods that were sold before any competitors appeared on the market will prevent an iOs free fall any time soon.
    Apple weren't the first to make portable music players. I was using one made by Creative a year before iPods.
    04-04-2014 03:33 AM
    Sorry but when I see drunk teens with iPhones with shattered screens, the last thing I think about is Rolex and Dom Perignon. Would Lamborgini be anything special if everyone had it? No, it would be an ordinary car that everyone has. Everyone has an iphone, it's an iconic phone, but its the most boring phone you can have as well. It's like saying 'I have no taste of my own, so I got this because they told me to'. That's what iPhone is for me, and for many others too I believe. <SNIPPED>
    You believe people worth caring about choose to express themselves by buying products from large American companies? You judge products by people you see using them? Quite astonishing.
    04-04-2014 04:02 AM
    Soon...
    04-04-2014 04:30 AM
    iOS is great for people with no technical ability with its way of delivering updates and apps. It means that they can ensure the products work with the limited range of phones and tablets that use the OS. Android is more suited to tinkerers that are able to and want to fiddle with the underlying OS. WP falls somewhere inbetween, in that you can fiddle but dont have to. It is much the same as Apple computers, PCs with Linux and the windows PC. It all depends on what effort you are willing to put in to your product. Cars are now much the same if you have the interface cable and program to change the settings to suit what you want from your car. I have a German car with LOTS of things that can be customised.
    04-04-2014 04:36 AM
    Look at human beings as a race. Then look at how simple iOS makes everything without having a single idea how anything technical works. Seriously you can hand an iPhone to a monkey and he can figure out how to send a message or place a call on an iPhone.

Now, for the rest of us with an IQ greater than a monkey, there is Android and WP 8 / 8.1 :)
    With a comment like that, this part is questionable as far as you are concerned.:)
    04-04-2014 05:05 AM
    No. My friend who sits next to me in office has an iPhone 5S and as much as I'm a fan of WP, I like that iPhone too. The notification center for example, its more refined and shows up almost everything you need. Also the quick settings are not cluttered with the Notification center; since it is swiped up from the bottom of the screen. The Universal search in the iPhone is just awesome. Design wise, I really love WP; but features wise, WP still has quite a long way to go. WP8.1 is just a beginning.
    kyriacou48 likes this.
    04-04-2014 05:20 AM
    iOS is doomed. But then so are WP and Android. Technology moves on and these primitive operating systems will fade away or “develop” into something completely different.

The thought of WP 8.1 killing iOS is quite frankly ridiculous. Apple has never gone for market share – did they install windows on macs when they were only selling three a year? No, of course not. There is plenty of space for WP, Android and iOS and we all benefit from the competition. Just don’t count on them lasting for ever. Remember Symbian? No, I thought not.
    04-04-2014 05:22 AM
    WP definitely has the potential to beat iOS in terms of market share.
    04-04-2014 05:24 AM
    Maybe by 2017 Windows Phone will be able to beat iOS and Android
    04-04-2014 05:32 AM
    iOS is great for people with no technical ability with its way of delivering updates and apps. It means that they can ensure the products work with the limited range of phones and tablets that use the OS. Android is more suited to tinkerers that are able to and want to fiddle with the underlying OS. WP falls somewhere inbetween, in that you can fiddle but dont have to. It is much the same as Apple computers, PCs with Linux and the windows PC. It all depends on what effort you are willing to put in to your product. Cars are now much the same if you have the interface cable and program to change the settings to suit what you want from your car. I have a German car with LOTS of things that can be customised.
    Android is for anybody, not just for tinkerers. iOS is for anybody who wants an all around good phone operating system.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    pappy53 likes this.
    04-04-2014 05:32 AM
    Not gonna lie but I actually laughed out loud at the thread title.
    04-04-2014 05:37 AM
    The answer is no, but that doesn't mean it couldn't do a lot of good for WP. I hate how the media and people are always about "killing something". Like with Titanfall there was talks about being CoD killed, with every MMORPG people talk about "WoW killer", but that's not how it works at all.
    BIGPADDY and OsamaAdam98 like this.
    04-04-2014 05:40 AM
    Apple weren't the first to make portable music players. I was using one made by Creative a year before iPods.
    Apple was never the first to do anything, but they did manage to "perfect"/mainstream a lot of features where other had failed before. But it's not only about Apple per se, it's also about the necessary technology to make something good enough becoming available enough and cheap enough to be put in a consumer product. A good example of this is capacitive touch screens. Nokia's problem back in the day was that they used resistive screens as well as the OS being developed with the mindset of "let's make this work with both physical buttons and touch in case touch screens don't take off" with all the "double tapping" required to do things.
    04-04-2014 05:44 AM
    Never, but I genuinely don't care if Windows Phone becomes a massive player.

I simply want it to gain enough market share that:
    a) Windows Phone users aren't always mocked. Same thing for all Microsoft products, really. Just become big enough that Windows is considered a viable third option, and not the laughing stock of the tech industry, and

b) It's big enough that's it's stable, so that we won't have to worry about MS going bankrupt. This seems somewhat hand-in-hand with A, however.

Otherwise, I don't care. People should use what works best for them, and that includes iOS. Will I still try to convince people of the Windows Phone philosophy? Of course. But at the same time, I'm not going to wish the death of Apple and/or anyone who uses Apple products.

Side Note here: I also admit that I don't want Windows Phone to become too massive that it's not longer unique. I personally like sticking out from my iPhone and Android wielding kin. If Windows Phone ruled, I'd be just another mindless part of the machine, which would make me sad.
    04-04-2014 05:49 AM
    I think WP 8.1 puts the OS on a par with iOS and Android feature wise, ahead of Android security wise, but still behind app wise. However, both Apple and Google should be much more worried than they were.
    04-04-2014 06:57 AM
    b) It's big enough that's it's stable, so that we won't have to worry about MS going bankrupt.
    We don't have to worry about Microsoft going bankrupt for awhile. A bigger danger is that the shareholders tell them to dump WP. Which I guess is kind of related to bankruptcy, but only in one department.
    04-04-2014 07:00 AM
    I simply want it to gain enough market share that:
    a) Windows Phone users aren't always mocked.
    Anyone who mocks someone because of their mobile phone is a bully and an *****.
    EDIT: gosh - this site censors the word '*****'! I will instead use the word 'dullard'.
    Last edited by anony_mouse; 04-04-2014 at 07:02 AM. Reason: censorship
    psychotron and A895 like this.
    04-04-2014 07:01 AM
    Sure, iOS is slipping a bit, but is it going to die? No way. The people who are hanging on to their iDevices are the ones who are either ardent Apple fans or so entrenched in the ecosystem that they can't afford to pull out and will buy the next iWhatever regardless of how good or bad it is at upgrade time because it's the only thing compatible with all their "stuff". That's especially true here in the U.S. The only place to really gain any ground IMO is certain segments of the Android market, especially those users who picked that handset just because someone told them to. These are the folks who will never fully benefit from everything the OS has to offer because it's somewhat complicated for non-technical users, so educating them about a simpler, arguably more intuitive option like Windows Phone would be what brings them over. That and the fact that Nokia's imaging prowess wipes the floor with everyone else. Photo quality still seems to matter quite a bit even to many of those who are not otherwise technically inclined.
    04-04-2014 08:01 AM
    Remember Symbian? No, I thought not.
    Yep, sure do. It was actually a pretty good OS. Unfortunately Nokia let it languish for too long and their efforts to save it were too little too late.
    04-04-2014 08:07 AM
    Windows Phone has the potential to gain more marketshare than iOS, as its business model is closer to Android than it is to iOS. In fact, the focus should be Android. iOS has its thing going, marketshare is almost irrelevant. Their userbase is growing they are making tons of money, but in this market it is highly unlikely they would be a marketshare leader. Its one OS for one OEM, unlike Windows and Android.
    With the exception of that last sentence, I think just about everything you stated here is strategically and statistically incorrect. Other than competing in many of the same markets, I believe Microsoft and Google's business models couldn't be more different.
    04-04-2014 08:12 AM
    With the exception of that last sentence, I think just about everything you stated here is strategically and statistically incorrect. Other than competing in many of the same markets, I believe Microsoft and Google's business models couldn't be more different.
    Only I didn't compare Microsoft and Google. I said that Windows Phone and Android are closer in model than either is to iOS. In what way? Because both ideally would be OSs being run on many OEMs whereas iOS runs only on Apple devices. What I said is all I want to say, and as such no additional inference is needed.

White & Silver iPhone 5 64GB + Tapatalk Pro = A Nice Time Chatting
    04-04-2014 08:24 AM
85 1234