Is windows phone 8.1 the death of iOS?

finbaar

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
iOS is doomed. But then so are WP and Android. Technology moves on and these primitive operating systems will fade away or “develop” into something completely different.

The thought of WP 8.1 killing iOS is quite frankly ridiculous. Apple has never gone for market share – did they install windows on macs when they were only selling three a year? No, of course not. There is plenty of space for WP, Android and iOS and we all benefit from the competition. Just don’t count on them lasting for ever. Remember Symbian? No, I thought not.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
iOS is great for people with no technical ability with its way of delivering updates and apps. It means that they can ensure the products work with the limited range of phones and tablets that use the OS. Android is more suited to tinkerers that are able to and want to fiddle with the underlying OS. WP falls somewhere inbetween, in that you can fiddle but dont have to. It is much the same as Apple computers, PCs with Linux and the windows PC. It all depends on what effort you are willing to put in to your product. Cars are now much the same if you have the interface cable and program to change the settings to suit what you want from your car. I have a German car with LOTS of things that can be customised.

Android is for anybody, not just for tinkerers. iOS is for anybody who wants an all around good phone operating system.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The answer is no, but that doesn't mean it couldn't do a lot of good for WP. I hate how the media and people are always about "killing something". Like with Titanfall there was talks about being CoD killed, with every MMORPG people talk about "WoW killer", but that's not how it works at all.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Apple weren't the first to make portable music players. I was using one made by Creative a year before iPods.

Apple was never the first to do anything, but they did manage to "perfect"/mainstream a lot of features where other had failed before. But it's not only about Apple per se, it's also about the necessary technology to make something good enough becoming available enough and cheap enough to be put in a consumer product. A good example of this is capacitive touch screens. Nokia's problem back in the day was that they used resistive screens as well as the OS being developed with the mindset of "let's make this work with both physical buttons and touch in case touch screens don't take off" with all the "double tapping" required to do things.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Never, but I genuinely don't care if Windows Phone becomes a massive player.

I simply want it to gain enough market share that:
a) Windows Phone users aren't always mocked. Same thing for all Microsoft products, really. Just become big enough that Windows is considered a viable third option, and not the laughing stock of the tech industry, and

b) It's big enough that's it's stable, so that we won't have to worry about MS going bankrupt. This seems somewhat hand-in-hand with A, however.

Otherwise, I don't care. People should use what works best for them, and that includes iOS. Will I still try to convince people of the Windows Phone philosophy? Of course. But at the same time, I'm not going to wish the death of Apple and/or anyone who uses Apple products.

Side Note here: I also admit that I don't want Windows Phone to become too massive that it's not longer unique. I personally like sticking out from my iPhone and Android wielding kin. If Windows Phone ruled, I'd be just another mindless part of the machine, which would make me sad.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think WP 8.1 puts the OS on a par with iOS and Android feature wise, ahead of Android security wise, but still behind app wise. However, both Apple and Google should be much more worried than they were.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
b) It's big enough that's it's stable, so that we won't have to worry about MS going bankrupt.

We don't have to worry about Microsoft going bankrupt for awhile. A bigger danger is that the shareholders tell them to dump WP. Which I guess is kind of related to bankruptcy, but only in one department.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I simply want it to gain enough market share that:
a) Windows Phone users aren't always mocked.

Anyone who mocks someone because of their mobile phone is a bully and an *****.
EDIT: gosh - this site censors the word '*****'! I will instead use the word 'dullard'.

Last edited:

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sure, iOS is slipping a bit, but is it going to die? No way. The people who are hanging on to their iDevices are the ones who are either ardent Apple fans or so entrenched in the ecosystem that they can't afford to pull out and will buy the next iWhatever regardless of how good or bad it is at upgrade time because it's the only thing compatible with all their "stuff". That's especially true here in the U.S. The only place to really gain any ground IMO is certain segments of the Android market, especially those users who picked that handset just because someone told them to. These are the folks who will never fully benefit from everything the OS has to offer because it's somewhat complicated for non-technical users, so educating them about a simpler, arguably more intuitive option like Windows Phone would be what brings them over. That and the fact that Nokia's imaging prowess wipes the floor with everyone else. Photo quality still seems to matter quite a bit even to many of those who are not otherwise technically inclined.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone has the potential to gain more marketshare than iOS, as it?s business model is closer to Android than it is to iOS. In fact, the focus should be Android. iOS has it?s thing going, marketshare is almost irrelevant. Their userbase is growing they are making tons of money, but in this market it is highly unlikely they would be a marketshare leader. It?s one OS for one OEM, unlike Windows and Android.

With the exception of that last sentence, I think just about everything you stated here is strategically and statistically incorrect. Other than competing in many of the same markets, I believe Microsoft and Google's business models couldn't be more different.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
With the exception of that last sentence, I think just about everything you stated here is strategically and statistically incorrect. Other than competing in many of the same markets, I believe Microsoft and Google's business models couldn't be more different.

Only I didn't compare Microsoft and Google. I said that Windows Phone and Android are closer in model than either is to iOS. In what way? Because both ideally would be OSs being run on many OEMs whereas iOS runs only on Apple devices. What I said is all I want to say, and as such no additional inference is needed.

White & Silver iPhone 5 64GB + Tapatalk Pro = A Nice Time Chatting

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Only I didn't compare Microsoft and Google. I said that Windows Phone and Android are closer in model than either is to iOS. In what way? Because both ideally would be OSs being run on many OEMs whereas iOS runs only on Apple devices. What I said is all I want to say, and as such no additional inference is needed.

Didnt try to "infer" anything. I replied the way I did because the way I read your post it didn't seem that specific, and now you have clarified exactly what you meant and I appreciate that. However, I still disagree even with that point and there was no need to get so offended if I didn't agree with what I initially thought you were saying in the first place. It's a forum and that's what people do here - debate. It's not personal.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Didnt try to "infer" anything. I replied the way I did because the way I read your post it didn't seem that specific, and now you have clarified exactly what you meant and I appreciate that. However, I still disagree even with that point and there was no need to get so offended if I didn't agree with what I initially thought you were saying in the first place. It's a forum and that's what people do here - debate. It's not personal.

How did you come to the conclusion that I was offended. I simply defended my reasoning for my original post. I made no personal attacks. Did you feel personally attacked?

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
How did you come to the conclusion that I was offended. I simply defended my reasoning for my original post. I made no personal attacks. Did you feel personally attacked?

I didn't necessarily feel personally attacked but you did indeed jump to to conclusions by accusing me of trying to infer that you said something you didn't when, as I explained in my previous post, it was basically an honest mistake on my part. So, yes. I did feel a bit like I was being attacked.

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I didn't necessarily feel personally attacked but you did indeed jump to to conclusions by accusing me of trying to infer that you said something you didn't when, as I explained in my previous post, it was basically an honest mistake on my part. So, yes. I did feel a bit like I was being attacked.

Oh. But no, I wasn't trying to say you inferred, I was merely trying to say that no additional inference (by anyone) should be made to my statements. In other words, I was speaking only about platforms being used by various OEMS and a platform only being used by the OEM that created it and absolutely nothing else.

Wilguens Joachin

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I'll say this though, for someone to even think to write an article on that, it at least shows that WP 8.1 has been very well received by everyone. Come on April 10th...
It got delayed again for 4 days, manufactures are getting the update on the 14th and dev get it shortly after. I Don't Know what that means but that's what i've read on here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb