04-08-2014 02:27 PM
124 1234 ...
tools
    Can you check if the file Manager is integrated into OneDrive? Thanks
    Checked. It isnt there in onedrive. but as dario said, "Anyway I don't need a file manager when the OS is well structured"
    S Vaibhav likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:47 AM
    I am a developer and I have the 8.1 SDK with 8.1 emulators and I'm sorry to say that there is no file manager
    if u can run WhatsApp in ur emulator..try sending doc files..i really counting on this feature when 8.1 is announced ...rply me
    04-04-2014 04:50 AM
    if u can run WhatsApp in ur emulator..try sending doc files..i really counting on this feature when 8.1 is announced ...rply me
    Emulator allows us to browse apps but not install them. Will try again anyway
    SebastinElvin likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:53 AM
    The right to own and use your files across the platform should be implemented, doesnt matter how. If i have docs in pdf I should be able to use them with email App directly ( dont sing the onedrive song, in corporate environment Cloud file Storage is widely banned)
    A895 and dgr_874 like this.
    04-04-2014 04:56 AM
    Oh C'mon! Why do we even need a file manager? Its a phone, not a pen drive to put all kinds of junk! Let's just hope MS has made integration of documents and photos into email better. That's all most of us need to do from a phone.
    04-04-2014 04:59 AM
    Emulator allows us to browse apps but not install them. Will try again anyway
    thanks padmanaban, i cant attach any files rather than images in wp8. or u can try if IE allows u to open file picker to send any files..or sometimes send email with attachment of multiple docs..pls try and let me know..and again thanks in advance! 😊
    04-04-2014 05:06 AM
    Back to OP, there wasn't any file manager told in the SDK feature list before or now.
    what we will be getting is 'File Picker'. This allows files to be selected for upload or sharing, which isn't possible in WP8.
    SebastinElvin likes this.
    04-04-2014 05:26 AM
    Windows Phone also has a file manager through third party apps :P
    So deleting and viewing files is possible through third party apps?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-04-2014 05:28 AM
    Oh C'mon! Why do we even need a file manager? Its a phone, not a pen drive to put all kinds of junk! Let's just hope MS has made integration of documents and photos into email better. That's all most of us need to do from a phone.
    For me that wouldbe enough. Plus - possibility to choose folders inmusic app
    04-04-2014 05:30 AM
    You may not want one. But by the looks of things, a good number of people did want one. At least the option would be nice. Any option you can get to bring more people on board is always a good thing.

04-04-2014 05:30 AM
    For people who can't seems to breath without any sign of file manager, here's something you have missed.
    Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    04-04-2014 05:46 AM
    It's dumb that there isn't a file manager. Especially when you consider the new IE downloads feature.

You our can download and save files to a "Downloads" folder but there's no way to access those files. What the hell is up with that?
    04-04-2014 05:52 AM
    Checked. It isnt there in onedrive. but as dario said, "Anyway I don't need a file manager when the OS is well structured"
    Hmm, perhaps the OneDrive app will get updated?

it doesn't currently integrate with the file picker, while the photos app does.

For or reference, you can view local files with the OneDrive app for Windows 8.
    04-04-2014 06:02 AM
    For people who can't seems to breath without any sign of file manager, here's something you have missed.
    Pocket File Manager | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    Pay for something that should be an option natively?

Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:13 AM
    Pay for something that should be an option natively?

well hello first of all :D:D I think we have seen each other,liking each other's critical remarks xD,Well iOS has "open in" option but no file manager,Not sure about WP8 but yes a file "picker" must have to be a native function,alternative to iOS's open in option IMHO...with file picker+ this app,WP8 would rock :D IMHO xD
    04-04-2014 06:35 AM
    well hello first of all :D:D I think we have seen each other,liking each other's critical remarks xD,Well iOS has "open in" option but no file manager,Not sure about WP8 but yes a file "picker" must have to be a native function,alternative to iOS's open in option IMHO...with file picker+ this app,WP8 would rock :D IMHO xD
    or we could get the real thing which would be better.
    A895 and Kashan Osama like this.
    04-04-2014 07:19 AM
    So deleting and viewing files is possible through third party apps?

Search the store for Pocket File Manager.....
    04-04-2014 07:25 AM
    I just found that in WP8.1, when user selects a folder with folder selector dialog, then the app will have full access to that folder (including subfolders and files)
    See this: Scenario3_SingleFolder.xaml.cs - File picker sample
    in the last function of that file, you can find this comment: " // Application now has read/write access to all contents in the picked folder (including other sub-folder contents)"

So we can expect some kind of file management apps. (They can ask user to select whole SD Card for example)
    04-04-2014 09:27 AM
    or we could get the real thing which would be better.
    We Won't ever get a full blown file manager no matter what,no matter how big people's expectations are..See even Latest Kitkat has imposed restrictions on how apps access Sd card and all...
    04-04-2014 09:53 AM
    Totally impressed with Microsoft. Great work developers. But where the hell is File Manager?
    No announcement for it.
    Will it be tomorrow??
    It probabaly will come in the form of an app. Look at the first screenshot. it has a .appx extension. I think that means its an app. More Features Coming to Windows Phone 8.1 That We Should Look Forward To | NPU
    04-04-2014 10:04 AM
    We Won't ever get a full blown file manager no matter what,no matter how big people's expectations are..See even Latest Kitkat has imposed restrictions on how apps access Sd card and all...
    Just can't add apps to the SD card mainly. But you can still download and move media to the micro SD. Still way more functionality micro SD wise than WP.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    04-04-2014 11:09 AM
    Just can't add apps to the SD card mainly.

With wp8.1 you can, I saw it on day one keynote. But if you switch the card to an other phone you will not have access. They will be erased if I remember it right.

04-04-2014 11:34 AM
    With wp8.1 you can, I saw it on day one keynote. But if you switch the card to an other phone you will not have access. They will be erased if I remember it right.

I know. It maddening as android is losing support for micro SD cards, and WP is gaining more support.

04-04-2014 11:40 AM
    I know. It maddening as android is losing support for micro SD cards, and WP is gaining more support.

He, he, soon you will have to switch.
    Especially when WP8.1 even will have an overall better file manager support than before.

04-04-2014 12:20 PM
    He, he, soon you will have to switch.
    Especially when WP8.1 even will have an overall better file manager support than before.

File manager remains to be seen though.

04-04-2014 01:36 PM
124 1234 ...