Where is File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
well hello first of all :D:D I think we have seen each other,liking each other's critical remarks xD,Well iOS has "open in" option but no file manager,Not sure about WP8 but yes a file "picker" must have to be a native function,alternative to iOS's open in option IMHO...with file picker+ this app,WP8 would rock :D IMHO xD
or we could get the real thing which would be better.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I just found that in WP8.1, when user selects a folder with folder selector dialog, then the app will have full access to that folder (including subfolders and files)
See this: Scenario3_SingleFolder.xaml.cs - File picker sample
in the last function of that file, you can find this comment: " // Application now has read/write access to all contents in the picked folder (including other sub-folder contents)"

So we can expect some kind of file management apps. (They can ask user to select whole SD Card for example)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
We Won't ever get a full blown file manager no matter what,no matter how big people's expectations are..See even Latest Kitkat has imposed restrictions on how apps access Sd card and all...

Just can't add apps to the SD card mainly. But you can still download and move media to the micro SD. Still way more functionality micro SD wise than WP.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Just can't add apps to the SD card mainly.

With wp8.1 you can, I saw it on day one keynote. But if you switch the card to an other phone you will not have access. They will be erased if I remember it right.

:smile:

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
With wp8.1 you can, I saw it on day one keynote. But if you switch the card to an other phone you will not have access. They will be erased if I remember it right.

I know. It maddening as android is losing support for micro SD cards, and WP is gaining more support.

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I know. It maddening as android is losing support for micro SD cards, and WP is gaining more support.

He, he, soon you will have to switch.
Especially when WP8.1 even will have an overall better file manager support than before.

:grin: :grin:

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
File manager remains to be seen though.

File Manager will com to us via apps.
You have it today via Pocket File Manager.
When they have implemented File Picker (or som other app may do (MS?)) it will be super.

Futhermore you will be able to manage your files via the cloud.
OneDriveApp will have a filemanager.

So, as a matter of facts, you will actually have 2 File Managers in WP8.1

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
File Manager will com to us via apps.
You have it today via Pocket File Manager.
When they have implemented File Picker (or som other app may do (MS?)) it will be super.

Futhermore you will be able to manage your files via the cloud.
OneDriveApp will have a filemanager.

So, as a matter of facts, you will actually have 2 File Managers in WP8.1

I will have to see it first.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
It's dumb that there isn't a file manager. Especially when you consider the new IE downloads feature.

You our can download and save files to a "Downloads" folder but there's no way to access those files. What the hell is up with that?

Please someone comment on this. I find this frustrating to say the least. Also, I really want to be able to make files available offline from OneDrive. Thoughts?

emigrating

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
There are new APIs for file access, and apps can now read shared files which is all a file manager would be good for anyway. In other words, there will be an app solving you guys' problem soon after 8.1 apps are allowed in the store.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
The right to own and use your files across the platform should be implemented, doesnt matter how. If i have docs in pdf I should be able to use them with email App directly ( dont sing the onedrive song, in corporate environment Cloud file Storage is widely banned)

Quite honestly everyone is not really thinking things through about how WP works. What's needed isn't a file manager, but rather two things:
? File Picker [Coming Soon]
? API's to allow inter-app file transfer between different apps

Currently, Windows Phone operates upon application associations: every file is stored within it's respective app's designated storage. The first of the two required things will allow applications to open files they are not associated with, for instance, in messaging clients, or as mentioned above, eMail clients. Furthermore, the second option on the list would allow the passing of a file from one app to another, for example, sending a PDF through skype. This method would allow for apps to continue to manage their own files while opening up inter-app operability.

Lastly, a "Files" or "Downloads" app should be present that manages a designated "downloads" folder where un-associated files are stored (for example, an exe file downloaded from a business server, or a zip emailed from a coworker, could be stored in "Downloads" for retrieval via USB on a computer.)

A full fledged file manager would in fact be more complicated, decrease security, and require major rewriting of how Windows Phones manages files. The above solution, however. is as simple as adding a few API's. The suggested method would allow one to have more control over their files, while avoiding the clutter and security issues of a full-fledged File Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb