Where is File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
We need to ba able to

1) copy files to the phone from a PC via USB
2) load those files via filepicker into apps.

Then im happy

So far we can only do part 1

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Quite honestly everyone is not really thinking things through about how WP works. What's needed isn't a file manager, but rather two things:
? File Picker [Coming Soon]
? API's to allow inter-app file transfer between different apps

Currently, Windows Phone operates upon application associations: every file is stored within it's respective app's designated storage. The first of the two required things will allow applications to open files they are not associated with, for instance, in messaging clients, or as mentioned above, eMail clients. Furthermore, the second option on the list would allow the passing of a file from one app to another, for example, sending a PDF through skype. This method would allow for apps to continue to manage their own files while opening up inter-app operability.

Lastly, a "Files" or "Downloads" app should be present that manages a designated "downloads" folder where un-associated files are stored (for example, an exe file downloaded from a business server, or a zip emailed from a coworker, could be stored in "Downloads" for retrieval via USB on a computer.)

A full fledged file manager would in fact be more complicated, decrease security, and require major rewriting of how Windows Phones manages files. The above solution, however. is as simple as adding a few API's. The suggested method would allow one to have more control over their files, while avoiding the clutter and security issues of a full-fledged File Manager.

No, a file picker is useless for managing files since it basically just helps you to find the appropriate file to work upon in a particular app. It does not help in any way in say, copying or moving files from one place to another or putting files in separate groups.

As for security concerns, can you actually tell how is the security of the OS compromised if we are allowed to control the music, photos, videos folders etc. in the sd card? We are not asking them to open up the system files, rather, we are asking them to provide full control to OUR files. If they are our files we have the right to have full control over them and not with the help of a useless file picker. My 7 year old Nokia 3110 classic could do it easily & safely then why can't my Lumia 520?
I've seen many Androids but never one with malware. I know that they can get affected with malware, but, to say that support for file managers is the pure reason for it is total exaggeration.

Josip Zeljko

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
We need to ba able to

1) copy files to the phone from a PC via USB
2) load those files via filepicker into apps.

Then im happy

So far we can only do part 1

That is not true. Even on WP8 you have apps that can load files from SD card. For example I transfered all my ebooks to my SD card, and I use my ebook reader app to load those books from sdcard.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
My 920 and 1020 don't have SD cards. If it doesn't work on all phones, its not a real function in my opinion. So it is true buddy.

There is NO way to provide users the ability to load files onto their phone via USB, and then load those files into an app. Trust me, if there was my app would be doing it!

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Of course, photos are the exception apparently. Music can only be played via the APIs, not loaded into a binary stream for editing...its all very locked down and limits what us devs can really achieve.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
There's a sample universal project that uses the API's to read and decode a MP3 to an audio stream.

Windows 8 MediaStreamSource streaming sample in C#, C++, JavaScript for Visual Studio 2013

that's windows. Not windows phone 8 (Silverlight). You can decode mp3s and wavs in the assets folder of your project (which my app already does) but you canNOT access music in the media library (your phones music folder) like that. But hopefully we can in 8.1 using winRT :) but that's not on our phones yet!

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The example looks hopeful for 8.1 though. If it lets us load files into editable streams from the media library ill be ecstatic!

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
that's windows. Not windows phone 8 (Silverlight). You can decode mp3s and wavs in the assets folder of your project (which my app already does) but you canNOT access music in the media library (your phones music folder) like that. But hopefully we can in 8.1 using winRT :) but that's not on our phones yet!

Well, Silverlight 8.1 is supposed to give access to the new runtime API's although I haven't looked into how that works yet. This sample loads the MP3 from any folder - I tested it in the emulator by downloading an MP3 in IE to the download folder.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, Silverlight 8.1 is supposed to give access to the new runtime API's although I haven't looked into how that works yet. This sample loads the MP3 from any folder - I tested it in the emulator by downloading an MP3 in IE to the download folder.

Thats awesome! Im having problems debugging in the emulator, keeps timing out, so im gonna have to wait until the dev preview before i can play around with the new APIs...and recode my whole app to WinRT...joy :/ haha

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If i cant load from the media library, i at least hope files can be copied to the download folder via USB. Just thinking of the most user friendly way of getting samples and sounds from a PC into my app. Less screwing around for users :p

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Hakkim Nadapuram

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I think I Phone support E mail documents attachments. In WP its not possible.
MS Promoting WP is business smart phone. In business life we need sending of more e mails with attachment files. Why WP is a business smart phone.
They are annoying peoples.
I have Both android phone and WP. I like android in features and WP in performance.
WP wants to study how android got Market leadership.
WP top management is like "Frog in Well"
They think Inside well is whole world.

Hakkim Nadapuram

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
WP also has a file manager but its only name as File manager not in features.
If you have android phone you can check 'X-Plore File manager' from play store.
You can understand Functions and features of a power full file manger and how its working without rooting of android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss