Where is File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
No, a file picker is useless for managing files since it basically just helps you to find the appropriate file to work upon in a particular app. It does not help in any way in say, copying or moving files from one place to another or putting files in separate groups..

It's not useless, since it covers the "read" function of a file manager, which is very important. Furthermore, folders are only one way of file organization out of many. Windows Phone employs a different method of filing files under their associated app. This means you don't need folders for specific file types. Just open the corresponding app. And for those which require more fine tuned organization, their apps often employ supplemental organization methods, such as Albums.

As for security concerns, can you actually tell how is the security of the OS compromised if we are allowed to control the music, photos, videos folders etc. in the sd card?. We are not asking them to open up the system files...

? Malicious software would then be able to freely access your personal files, and do as they please. By requiring app associations and implementing limited access to "core content" (Pictures, Music, Videos), malicious software would therefore have to give the user notice of the files they are accessing (Such as pre-installation requirements notice in the store) and require them to authorize certain actions.

? Not everyone here is limiting themselves to just an SD Card, and not all Windows Phones support SD cards

...rather, we are asking them to provide full control to OUR files. If they are our files we have the right to have full control over them and not with the help of a useless file picker. My 7 year old Nokia 3110 classic could do it easily & safely then why can't my Lumia 520?.

Again, you are experiencing a "one-track" thought process here. I already can manage every kind of associated file that Windows Phone supports. Both in system, and the SD. Want to manage photo files? Open the photos hub. Want to manage music? Open Music + Videos. Want to manage a PDF? Reader has you covered. Want to manage office documents? Try Office. Etc, etc...

I've seen many Androids but never one with malware. I know that they can get affected with malware, but, to say that support for file managers is the pure reason for it is total exaggeration.

? Malware is only one issue. User experience is likely the larger issue. Most users would avoid advanced file management if they don't have to. It's quicker and easier to have the file ready in its designated app. A file manager complicates the UX by requiring a user to manage their files from the Explorer, and cripples the file-readiness within apps. It's overcomplicating things for something as simple as a smartphone.

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I think I Phone support E mail documents attachments. In WP its not possible.
MS Promoting WP is business smart phone. In business life we need sending of more e mails with attachment files. Why WP is a business smart phone.
They are annoying peoples.
I have Both android phone and WP. I like android in features and WP in performance.
WP wants to study how android got Market leadership.
WP top management is like "Frog in Well"
They think Inside well is whole world.

Somewhere. But definitely not in wp 8.1

WP also has a file manager but its only name as File manager not in features.
If you have android phone you can check 'X-Plore File manager' from play store.
You can understand Functions and features of a power full file manger and how its working without rooting of android

Blackberry has a file manager. So why you guys not using BB then?

1. No iPhone doesn't have a file manager,it has sort of nice/lame turn around...i already mentioned it quite a lot of times "open-in" functionality...

2. No he wants wp to have a file manager or atleast file picker..he doesnt wanna use bb just for file manager:| i mean seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
At least in BB you can access your file easily and encrypt them on device and Sd Card....I also do want file manager in WP.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not useless, since it covers the "read" function of a file manager, which is very important. Furthermore, folders are only one way of file organization out of many. Windows Phone employs a different method of filing files under their associated app. This means you don't need folders for specific file types. Just open the corresponding app. And for those which require more fine tuned organization, their apps often employ supplemental organization methods, such as Albums.
Oh great, so now, the OS will decide how I should organize MY files. Sorry, but I don't accept that. Besides, can you give me an example of an app which helps me in organizing my photos in different albums?

• Malicious software would then be able to freely access your personal files, and do as they please. By requiring app associations and implementing limited access to "core content" (Pictures, Music, Videos), malicious software would therefore have to give the user notice of the files they are accessing (Such as pre-installation requirements notice in the store) and require them to authorize certain actions.
I never said that every app should be allowed to access the "core content". I want that permission exclusively for the file manager. That's why I want that MS itself should provide a file manager. That way, no one needs to download a file manager as an app from the Store. The apps can continue to ask for limited permissions to the files concerned, as is done at present.

• Not everyone here is limiting themselves to just an SD Card, and not all Windows Phones support SD cards
I simply gave an example of my old phone. Since it has only 4 MB of internal storage, so it was useless for keeping user files. Hence, there is no need of a file manager for the phone memory and there is only one for the sd card. But MS can provide a file manager for the phone memory(photos, music, videos etc.) but restricting access to the system files AND a file manager for managing every file in the sd card. Is that hard to understand?

• Again, you are experiencing a "one-track" thought process here. I already can manage every kind of associated file that Windows Phone supports. Both in system, and the SD. Want to manage photo files? Open the photos hub. Want to manage music? Open Music + Videos. Want to manage a PDF? Reader has you covered. Want to manage office documents? Try Office. Etc, etc...
Noo, and that is the problem. You seem to be happy with the file management in WP. There are many others who are not. The photos hub is useless at managing photos for me & many others. It does not help in creating different albums for different photos. Nor does it help in moving photos to different albums. Besides, if I receive a photo via BT, it goes to saved pictures. If I receive a video, it goes to the same folder and there is no way to move the video from the photos hub to the music+videos hub on the phone itself. For that, I have to connect my phone to a PC. WHY THE HELL IS THAT? My phone should not need a PC at all for normal operations. And this is a quite normal one. Better BT options(receiving files in their respective hubs) also does not make much sense, since there is still the problem of files which are not supported by WP present. What will become of those files?

• Malware is only one issue. User experience is likely the larger issue. Most users would avoid advanced file management if they don't have to. It's quicker and easier to have the file ready in its designated app. A file manager complicates the UX by requiring a user to manage their files from the Explorer, and cripples the file-readiness within apps. It's overcomplicating things for something as simple as a smartphone.
It can be an alternative system. Those who do not need a file manager should have nothing to do with it. They can continue using their files within apps. Besides, I can't seem to think of a person who owns a smartphone & has problems in using such a simple thing as a file manager. I simply can't believe. I've seen the file manager in the SkyDrive app in Windows 8.1( not WP) and it is as easy to use as any other app. But, as I've earlier said, if someone does not need a file manager, the OS should be designed in such a way that they should never need it. But for others like me, it should be present.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
IMO the Modern file manager solution in Windows 8.1 (via OneDrive) is pretty good, Microsoft should just use that for Windows Phone.

Mahdi Ghiasi

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Windows 8.1 has file manager in OneDrive app, also third party file managers are available (They ask for user's permission first time user opens the app, then it will work).

Now, WP8.1 has same APIs (Folder Picker, see this) so there will be third party file managers in the store shortly.
Also, this lecture suggests that an OneDrive update is coming, we might have file manager ability in that update (just like Windows 8.1).

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
IMO the Modern file manager solution in Windows 8.1 (via OneDrive) is pretty good, Microsoft should just use that for Windows Phone.
^^This!
Why doesn't everyone understand this & stop giving baseless & useless arguments as to why there should be no file manager. The OneDrive solution is good enough for everyone & will work well. I simply don't understand why there is a file manager in OneDrive on Windows, where a file manager already exists in the desktop but not on WP where it is actually needed.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh great, so now, the OS will decide how I should organize MY files. Sorry, but I don't accept that. Besides, can you give me an example of an app which helps me in organizing my photos in different albums?

• All OSes decide how you organize your files. It's how they work. It just so happens it's popular for desktop OSes to choose a folder organization method. Mobile OSes, however, have not chosen this method, with lone exceptions being Android, and apparently Blackberry, as of recent.

• Currently, I cannot.

I never said that every app should be allowed to access the "core content". I want that permission exclusively for the file manager. That's why I want that MS itself should provide a file manager. That way, no one needs to download a file manager as an app from the Store. The apps can continue to ask for limited permissions to the files concerned, as is done at present.

You never had to say anything. Say, for example, i decide to move half my pictures in a folder called work in the root directory. How will Photos and other imaging apps know where to look for those photos. With their current configuration, they will not. It's the same for other content as well. As such, applications will have to be changed to have access to the file system in it's entirety, to be able to recognize file types file-system wide. If not [updated], it's gonna create a very confusing and broken system. Just tossing in a file manager isn't so simple.

I simply gave an example of my old phone. Since it has only 4 MB of internal storage, so it was useless for keeping user files. Hence, there is no need of a file manager for the phone memory and there is only one for the sd card. But MS can provide a file manager for the phone memory(photos, music, videos etc.) but restricting access to the system files AND a file manager for managing every file in the sd card. Is that hard to understand?

When they already allow you to manage those items via their respective apps, yes it is hard to understand.

Noo, and that is the problem. You seem to be happy with the file management in WP. There are many others who are not. The photos hub is useless at managing photos for me & many others. It does not help in creating different albums for different photos. Nor does it help in moving photos to different albums. Besides, if I receive a photo via BT, it goes to saved pictures. If I receive a video, it goes to the same folder and there is no way to move the video from the photos hub to the music+videos hub on the phone itself. For that, I have to connect my phone to a PC. WHY THE HELL IS THAT? My phone should not need a PC at all for normal operations. And this is a quite normal one.

• Not as many as you think

• You have pointed out a flaw in the Photo's app itself, not the actual file organization method. Microsoft will likely add custom albums to upcoming versions of Windows Phone, and i wouldn't be surprised if it came with Windows Phone 8.1 itself.

• The Music + Video's hub is designed mainly for entertainment video, not personal video's, which are viewable via the Photo's Hub. It's purpose in handling video is so you can have music video's, TV shows, Movies, and other related content for quick access. Not so you can view your cousin's birthday you recorded.

Better BT options(receiving files in their respective hubs) also does not make much sense, since there is still the problem of files which are not supported by WP present. What will become of those files?

You failed to read my original comment:

Lastly, a "Files" or "Downloads" app should be present that manages a designated "downloads" folder where un-associated files are stored (for example, an exe file downloaded from a business server, or a zip emailed from a coworker, could be stored in "Downloads" for retrieval via USB on a computer.)

Un-associated file types would be stored in a "Downloads" folder (Similar to the "Documents" folder we have now) to be copied to a PC, or moved to application storage upon association at a later date, thus handling the current issue with unrecognized file types.

It can be an alternative system. Those who do not need a file manager should have nothing to do with it. They can continue using their files within apps. Besides, I can't seem to think of a person who owns a smartphone & has problems in using such a simple thing as a file manager. I simply can't believe. I've seen the file manager in the SkyDrive app in Windows 8.1( not WP) and it is as easy to use as any other app. But, as I've earlier said, if someone does not need a file manager, the OS should be designed in such a way that they should never need it. But for others like me, it should be present.

By your argument every OS should accommodate to people like you. iOS, WebOS, Firefox OS, Windows Phone, etc, etc... There is such thing as having too many options. It ends up turning people off of an ecosystem. You think people buy Apple devices because of a wide array of different options? No. They buy iOS devices because the hardware is good and the system just works; No fiddling, filing, or fussing required.

A smartphone is not designed to be your desktop in your pocket. It's designed to bring your most common and important tasks at your fingertips and to keep you connected with the world. That's why Office doesn't have all the bells and whistles of it's desktop counterpart. That's why you cannot edit a movie to the extent you can in Movie maker on your phone. And that is why Windows Phone lacks File Explorer. Remember the old WP7 slogan, "Get in, Get out, and Get back to life"? That's the whole point. It's meant to improve your life, not monopolize it.

Honestly, if you want a file manager, i suggest you look somewhere else. A few users wont hurt Windows Phone's marketshare.

Off topic, This topic is really irking me as of late, to be honest. I'm sick and tired of so many android and Pre-iOS smartphone users jumping on Windows Phone and demanding every feature Android and/or those archaic OSes have. People should be allowed options when chosing an OS, not be given 3 different systems with identical features. I like Windows Phone. I'm already annoyed about the notification center, which is the thing i hated most about other operating systems. And if a file manager comes along, I think i might rather jump ship to iOS, no matter how much it kills me to do so. It feels that we are getting so many of these users who would rather complain about things it doesn't have rather than learning to adapt to what we do have. The same is happening to Windows 8. All these over-vocal minorities are getting Microsoft to shift directions and waste time on useless features rather than innovate new features. I bet we'd had Cortana by now, or maybe even more revolutionary features if MS hadn't focused on the NC. And I'd bet the interface on Windows 8 would of improved rather than become more confusing had MS not been focusing so much on backtracking their changes to the system. These people are causing Microsoft to make their systems too much like their competitors and/or backtrack on revolutionary changes.

Please. Learn to use the system how it's designed, rather than complain that it's not: like your PC, like competing platforms, or how it used to be. It won't hurt you...

Last edited:

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
? All OSes decide how you organize your files. It's how they work. It just so happens it's popular for desktop OSes to choose a folder organization method. Mobile OSes, however, have not chosen this method, with lone exceptions being Android, and apparently Blackberry, as of recent.

? Currently, I cannot.

You never had to say anything. Say, for example, i decide to move half my pictures in a folder called work in the root directory. How will Photos and other imaging apps know where to look for those photos. With their current configuration, they will not. It's the same for other content as well. As such, applications will have to be changed to have access to the file system in it's entirety, to be able to recognize file types file-system wide. If not [updated], it's gonna create a very confusing and broken system. Just tossing in a file manager isn't so simple.

When they already allow you to manage those items via their respective apps, yes it is hard to understand.

? Not as many as you think

? You have pointed out a flaw in the Photo's app itself, not the actual file organization method. Microsoft will likely add custom albums to upcoming versions of Windows Phone, and i wouldn't be surprised if it came with Windows Phone 8.1 itself.

? The Music + Video's hub is designed mainly for entertainment video, not personal video's, which are viewable via the Photo's Hub. It's purpose in handling video is so you can have music video's, TV shows, Movies, and other related content for quick access. Not so you can view your cousin's birthday you recorded.

Un-associated file types would be stored in a "Downloads" folder (Similar to the "Documents" folder we have now) to be copied to a PC, or moved to application storage upon association at a later date, thus handling the current issue with unrecognized file types.

By your argument every OS should accommodate to people like you. iOS, WebOS, Firefox OS, Windows Phone, etc, etc... There is such thing as having too many options. It ends up turning people off of an ecosystem. You think people buy Apple devices because of a wide array of different options? No. They buy iOS devices because the hardware is good and the system just works; No fiddling, filing, or fussing required.

A smartphone is not designed to be your desktop in your pocket. It's designed to bring your most common and important tasks at your fingertips and to keep you connected with the world. That's why Office doesn't have all the bells and whistles of it's desktop counterpart. That's why you cannot edit a movie to the extent you can in Movie maker on your phone. And that is why Windows Phone lacks File Explorer. Remember the old WP7 slogan, "Get in, Get out, and Get back to life"? That's the whole point. It's meant to improve your life, not monopolize it.

Honestly, if you want a file manager, i suggest you look somewhere else. A few users wont hurt Windows Phone's marketshare.

Off topic, This topic is really irking me as of late, to be honest. I'm sick and tired of so many android and Pre-iOS smartphone users jumping on Windows Phone and demanding every feature Android and/or those archaic OSes have. People should be allowed options when chosing an OS, not be given 3 different systems with identical features. I like Windows Phone. I'm already annoyed about the notification center, which is the thing i hated most about other operating systems. And if a file manager comes along, I think i might rather jump ship to iOS, no matter how much it kills me to do so. It feels that we are getting so many of these users who would rather complain about things it doesn't have rather than learning to adapt to what we do have. The same is happening to Windows 8. All these over-vocal minorities are getting Microsoft to shift directions and waste time on useless features rather than innovate new features. I bet we'd had Cortana by now, or maybe even more revolutionary features if MS hadn't focused on the NC. And I'd bet the interface on Windows 8 would of improved rather than become more confusing had MS not been focusing so much on backtracking their changes to the system. These people are causing Microsoft to make their systems too much like their competitors and/or backtrack on revolutionary changes.

Please. Learn to use the system how it's designed, rather than complain that it's not: like your PC, like competing platforms, or how it used to be. It won't hurt you...

No i dont want to learn the system...i dont want to "learn" a flinging smartphone so i may adopt to it...i mean ok i will compromise but not like u are stating...tell this to potential ios -> wp8 converts and they will show you...file manager is indeed a very good feature to have,and future is going mostly to be all mobile and all pocketable. That is why ios has banking apps finance apps full of features...it is about convenience not learning the system

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The file manager is one of the most requested features amongst Windows Phone users, it's just the reality of how people use their devices. There's also the issue of removing the limit on background downloading by third party apps. IMHO the real reason why Microsoft's probably dragging its feet on either (file manager and downloading) is probably because it doesn't want Windows Phone to be an enabler of piracy. On the other hand, there's no doubt that many users want total control over their computing devices, including phones.

Put simply, Microsoft will need to decide between the realities of the consumer market and its ideals on how its platforms ought to operate. To be very honest, I'd side with the former (i.e. giving users want they want).

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
No i dont want to learn the system...i dont want to "learn" a flinging smartphone so i may adopt to it...i mean ok i will compromise but not like u are stating...tell this to potential ios -> wp8 converts and they will show you...file manager is indeed a very good feature to have,and future is going mostly to be all mobile and all pocketable. That is why ios has banking apps finance apps full of features...it is about convenience not learning the system

wha? First, you always have to learn a system. You don't just switch from one OS to another and magically know how it works. Furthermore, OSes being identical with merely visual differences is not a good thing.

Second, iOS users are MORE likely to understand the unecessity of a file manager, considering its similar (and more limited) file organization method.

Yes the future is in portability. That is why Microsoft is pushing touch for PCs. But a file manager is the opposite of "convenience". A folder organization method is no where simple. It requires time, and constant maintenance. For the limited use and convenience of smartphones, its unnecessary. Its more well suited to the advanced, meticulous use of a PC.

The file manager is one of the most requested features amongst Windows Phone users, it's just the reality of how people use their devices. I don't see a rational reason for denying them this feature, especially with the longwinded explanations. Sure, we shouldn't have root OS access or anything, but the ability to freely move music, videos, pictures and documents should be available. Enabling unlimited background downloading wouldn't hurt either.

Again... You don't NEED a file manager to manage Media & Documents, Heck, a few updates to a few system apps and you will get as much management as you can short of moving files to "system unrecognizable" folders.

You really have a one-track mind on this. You already are able to manage the specific files you mention. Add a download manager and you're good.

And I laugh at "most requested feature".

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
wha? First, you always have to learn a system. You don't just switch from one OS to another and magically know how it works. Furthermore, OSes being identical with merely visual differences is not a good thing.

Second, iOS users are MORE likely to understand the unecessity of a file manager, considering its similar (and more limited) file organization method.

Yes the future is in portability. That is why Microsoft is pushing touch for PCs. But a file manager is the opposite of "convenience". A folder organization method is no where simple. It requires time, and constant maintenance. For the limited use and convenience of smartphones, its unnecessary. Its more well suited to the advanced, meticulous use of a PC.
....but most Windows Phone users aren't past and prospective iOS users. Many of them are people who are simply looking for Windows on their phones, literally (i.e. Android that's not Android). It's just the reality of the market, people want control.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
....but most Windows Phone users aren't past and prospective iOS users. Many of them are people who are simply looking for Windows on their phones, literally (i.e. Android that's not Android). It's just the reality of the market, people want control.

And THAT therein is your problem. Windows Phone is not "Windows" on your phone and never will be. If most people wanted Windows on their phone, then Windows Mobile would still be around. But it isn't.

If you want "windows on your phone", get an android device. Easy. Windows Phone OS is not what you seek. Don't let the name fool you.

But if you want a quick, clean, and simple OS, meant to give you information at a glance and to keep you updated with the world, then Windows Phone is for you.

Also, a majority of Windows Phone adopters are looking for a cheap smartphone that's not Android or Like android, and those who want a device that's tied into Microsoft services, like Office, XBOX, and OneDrive.. Not those who want Windows on a phone.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
And THAT therein is your problem. Windows Phone is not "Windows" on your phone and never will be. If most people wanted Windows on their phone, then Windows Mobile would still be around. But it isn't.

If you want "windows on your phone", get an android device. Easy. Windows Phone OS is not what you seek. Don't let the name fool you.

But if you want a quick, clean, and simple OS, meant to give you information at a glance and to keep you updated with the world, then Windows Phone is for you.

Also, a majority of Windows Phone adopters are looking for a cheap smartphone that's not Android or Like android, and those who want a device that's tied into Microsoft services, like Office, XBOX, and OneDrive.. Not those who want Windows on a phone.

Even if you want to use Microsoft services, something as basic as a file manger is not that small that it should be omitted entirely from the OS. The whole point of Windows Phone is to have Microsoft services first and foremost on mobile devices. If people want simple they choose iOS. That's as simple as it gets.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Kashan Osama

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
Even if you want to use Microsoft services, something as basic as a file manger is not that small that it should be omitted entirely from the OS. The whole point of Windows Phone is to have Microsoft services first and foremost on mobile devices. If people want simple they choose iOS. That's as simple as it gets.

exactly if people want that,they can easily opt for iOS cause it is way way way ahead than WP...WP can't play that gamble,It won't,it has to be featureful to attract buyers,those who don't wanna buy Android due to its completely open source nature,and lack of security (though nothing is 100% secure but still It does matter to the enterprise)

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
? All OSes decide how you organize your files. It's how they work. It just so happens it's popular for desktop OSes to choose a folder organization method. Mobile OSes, however, have not chosen this method, with lone exceptions being Android, and apparently Blackberry, as of recent.

? Currently, I cannot.]
Firstly, if folder organization is the popular method in desktop OSes, then there is no bad reason as to why there shouldn't be so on a Mobile OS. Secondly, if you cannot suggest such an app, then you should not suggest this method at all, since either they don't exist, or you & we are unable to find them. So, it's impossible.

Can't you understand? You yourself mentioned "core content" as music, pics & videos etc. & I said very clearly that MS should provide access to only these folders in the file manager. Then how can you keep your photos in the root directory when you cannot even see it anywhere, just like what happens when we browse the phone files on a PC? Besides, when you don't need a file manager, then why will you use it. I have already said that the system should be such designed that those who don't want a file manager should not need it at all. Aren't you contradicting yourself?

I repeat, it may seem to you that the ways they provide to manage your files are good enough, but they are not enough for many.

? Not as many as you think
You seriously amaze me with this statement of yours(definitely not in a good way). Are you being deliberately blind, or you live on some other planet. You see any WP article on any site(except WPCentral) and you can easily find many who say that they are ready to use WP, if some of their needs are fulfilled, the first of them being.......a file manager. Besides you can see many threads on the forums here, regarding a file manager with you arguing with many others in one of them. Also, I'm sure you must be knowing about WP uservoice. Demands for a file manager are many in no. on the site with each of them getting thousands of votes. Make no mistake, WP users may be in millions, but only a few of them actually get to know about that site. And so, these are quite impressive numbers.

? You have pointed out a flaw in the Photo's app itself, not the actual file organization method. Microsoft will likely add custom albums to upcoming versions of Windows Phone, and i wouldn't be surprised if it came with Windows Phone 8.1 itself.
That's a big "if". Nothing has been said about this & so we don't know IF it is coming or not. Do we?

? The Music + Video's hub is designed mainly for entertainment video, not personal video's, which are viewable via the Photo's Hub. It's purpose in handling video is so you can have music video's, TV shows, Movies, and other related content for quick access. Not so you can view your cousin's birthday you recorded.
And again, who are YOU or MS to tell me how & where I should keep my videos? I am under no obligation to do that. Besides, what sense does it make in keeping videos in the photos hub? Let me guess......NONSENSE. Isn't it?

I accept that I probably missed this point since it was a long post. My apologies(I'm not being sarcastic).

And then who are you that every OS should only try to accommodate people like you who, it seems that cannot use a simple file manager properly on a phone. At least what I'm asking for is adding up the options which should NOT turn anyone off, if they have even a mustard seed sized amount of common sense & they know the basics of using a computer. Which in my opinion, should be compulsory for a smartphone owner, as it is basically a pocket pc.
As for people buying Apple devices, I think they buy them because they have a lot of money to waste on these products(iPads especially) & this is one reason why they(excluding some) foolishly feel that an iPad is a better product than a Surface Pro or any Windows tablet(not RT) since they offer nothing except being lighter & having a better battery backup. Besides, by this time you understand that WP is competing with Android & NOT iOS even though there is huge difference in their marketshares. You can see that for yourself with the help of sales figures. iOS sells at the high end(in price, not functionality), WP sells at the low end. What did you think, I admire iOS? If so, then I must clarify this to you, I don't care even a single bit about iOS. It's a crippled product for me & will always remain one. "The system just works" is a big joke, for every product, including WP. Nothing just works in this world. You have to make it adapt to your needs. So simply don't give this useless excuse. Apart from that, except for the A7 SoC, nothing has been stellar about the iPhone hardware. And I simply HATE the design of the iPhone & don't understand why people love the looks of it.

Ohhh..., now I understood why are you so much against a file manager. And I must tell you, this is where you are going completely wrong. Contrary to your thinking, a smartphone is a pocket desktop for many people(even if it may not be designed for one). And the smartphone should evolve according to the needs of the people. The people are under NO OBLIGATION AT ALL to evolve according to the artificial limits of a smartphone. Don't you know the popular saying, "product is for the consumer but the consumer is not for the product"? WP should adapt itself according to us & we should not for it. We are not fools that we will accept everything we get as it is just as Apple fans do according to what earlier Steve Jobs & now Tim Cook tell them. You seem to be well off to me, since you own an iPhone & most probably can afford a PC as well. But there are many others who are not as privileged. Trust me, they are in millions. For them, their smartphone is their PC. And before you ask how will they know to use a PC, I must tell you that their are many cyber cafes available. Hence, that's not a problem. But a smartphone is their very own PC, and as you might have guessed correctly, a PC is never complete without a file manager. And there are also many who want more functionality in the Office suite. Why do you think they are demanding this? Because they need a phone which can act as their desktop. And don't even try to suggest Android for people like these.

Honestly, if you cannot stand a file manager, I suggest you throw your WP away & keep your iPhone with you. You seem to be the only one who can't bear a file manager. It won't hurt Windows Phone's marketshare, since if I leave, then are many others who will leave WP, and that is REALLLY going to hurt WP marketshare. I'm no leader, just a member of a large group who has the same demand for an important feature.
To be honest, it irks me that this topic is irking you so much, yet you come out everyday with a new post on this thread. My advice to you is, if it irks you so much, then just ignore it & search about elsewhere in the forums. Pretend that you cannot see this topic and leave us to ourselves. If possible, go back to iOS 6 or earlier on iPhone if you don't want a file manager & a notification center. It's better for you to jump ship & go back. And let me tell you this again, this a normally vocal majority & not a minority as you say. As for MS wasting time on useless features, I want to tell you that they would have done a much better job if they would have optimized the performance of Windows Mobile & would have made its UI better for touchscreen rather than scrapping it & introducing such a crippled OS like Windows Phone 7. That's a big 'if' too, but their are many still who lve the feature set of WM. Even till now, Windows Phone has not received that feature set. I'd bet you would have Cortana by now, had MS not tried to include an NC, but we wouldn't have have got it till now as well. So I don't care for Cortana. I'm demanding a necessary feature, not a fun feature.

Please. Learn to use the system how it's designed, rather than complain that it's not: like your PC, like competing platforms, or how it used to be. It won't hurt you...[/SIZE]
Finally, please, learn to know that others are entitled to their opinions & if they are not causing any harm to you or to anything you love, then you have no right to stop them. As for using the system, I know how to use it properly. However, by now I have realized how useless iOS is, without its apps & if WP is going the iOS way, then I can assure you that it's never going to succeed.

Last edited:

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

I will straightaway come to the last part of your post, again you are totally wrong when you are thinking that people come to WP because it's not Android or like Android. They come to WP because the performance of WP is better than Android on cheap devices(seriously, how many expensive WPs actually get sold?). And please, till now I've seen no one who wants a device tied to MS services. You can get much more functional office suites on Android than Office for WP. No one I know has an XBOX or cares about achievements. Their are many more cloud storage options other than OneDrive. Even Google Drive offers more free storage.
Finally, there are many who actually think that Windows Phone is Windows on a phone & because of the same looking tiles, they get deceived easily.

Ezhik

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Of all people to argue against the file manager, I never expected to see Windows fans do it. Whatever happened to the whole productivity thing, Office and all?

It doesn't have to be the crappy desktop-style implementation, you know. I can understand why you wouldn't want that. But it's not hard to do it right. First you hide all the unnecessary folders - system files and etc. Next, you make the APIs work in a way that does not allow apps to **** all over the file space. Make it so that the only files in there are the files specifically made by the user. Their photos, documents, etc. For temporary files and such, there are already specific areas files have access to.

Now, you might say something about how it makes more sense to separate files into various different apps, like in iOS, but it's not a good solution. Say, you are working on a project, which has lots of different documents of different types. I imagine it makes more sense to keep files in a relevant project folder, always there to access.

This isn't 1997 anymore, files don't have to be painful. There are many improvements that could make things much better, like that file tagging feature in Mac OS, or seamless integration with cloud services you can get in Windows 8.

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Moral of the story; a file manager wont hurt. All the people who say it doesn't need it, yeah you don't need it. So don't use it. But bet when its added you will start using it and saying its the best thing since sliced bread. I remember half the people on here saying we don't need a notification centre...well we are getting it. And by Jove i bet you will all use it, and not believing how you survived without it. Its the same old same old. Lets stop fighting now. Ha

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Moral of the story; a file manager wont hurt. All the people who say it doesn't need it, yeah you don't need it. So don't use it. But bet when its added you will start using it and saying its the best thing since sliced bread. I remember half the people on here saying we don't need a notification centre...well we are getting it. And by Jove i bet you will all use it, and not believing how you survived without it. Its the same old same old. Lets stop fighting now. Ha

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss