Where is File Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
All this discussions ... I have a simple question:

Why can't we have this (IE File Picker) on an email client or even OneDrive?

file-picker-windows-phone-720x478.png

Attachments

• file-picker-windows-phone-720x478.png
    file-picker-windows-phone-720x478.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 7

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
All this discussions ... I have a simple question:

Why can't we have this (IE File Picker) on an email client or even OneDrive?

View attachment 61608

Actually, your question is quite good, but it does not help much in managing the files. This doesn't help in grouping files in different folders etc.
In short, since it is just a picker, so you can only select a particular file & cannot do much with it. This basically, keeps the discussion continued.
(By the way, I have not much idea about how the picker actually works in 8.1).

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Actually, your question is quite good, but it does not help much in managing the files. This doesn't help in grouping files in different folders etc.
In short, since it is just a picker, so you can only select a particular file & cannot do much with it. This basically, keeps the discussion continued.

Looking at the documentation for winRT, the picker may allow for some decent 3rd party file managers though!

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I manage my folders through USB on a PC, that's fine for me.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the documentation for winRT, the picker may allow for some decent 3rd party file managers though!
I'm quite happy to see that. I just meant that the file picker introduced in 8.1 itself is not of much help. Of course 3rd party file managers could take advantage of its capabilities. The 2 problems which I see with this approach is that those who say that a file manager would compromise the security of the OS will wake up once again. The 2nd problem is not that big, but it still exists. It is the problem of paid 3rd party file managers,for example,pocket file manager. I have no problems in paying for such an app, but it just doesn't seem right that I should pay for something which should be totally free. Besides, I don't have a credit card & carrier billing is not supported on my carrier. I don't live in the U.S., so I can't get an MS gift card too. So, all this will be useless for me. Hence, I want that MS itself should do this with an integrated file manager in OneDrive. Can you do something about this?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
And please, till now I've seen no one who wants a device tied to MS services.

Office. Skype. Lync. Windows Server. These are things people have been wanting to be tied into for a while. Especially business customers.

You can get much more functional office suites on Android than Office for WP

Nope. My father has Office for android, and i can say i haven't seen it do any more than WP can. Not to mention, it requires a 365 subscription to create documents.

You yourself mentioned "core content" as music, pics & videos etc. & I said very clearly that MS should provide access to only these folders in the file manager.

Redundancy. If that's all it's for, then there is no need. Again, you already have methods to manage such content, and updates to manage more precisely said content shall come in the future.

, if folder organization is the popular method in desktop OSes, then there is no bad reason as to why there shouldn't be so on a Mobile OS

If making toast is popular for a toaster, then there is no reason why my refrigerator shouldn't do it. See what i mean? Usage case.

You seriously amaze me with this statement of yours(definitely not in a good way). Are you being deliberately blind, or you live on some other planet. You see any WP article on any site(except WPCentral) and you can easily find many who say that they are ready to use WP, if some of their needs are fulfilled, the first of them being.......a file manager. Besides you can see many threads on the forums here, regarding a file manager with you arguing with many others in one of them. Also, I'm sure you must be knowing about WP uservoice. Demands for a file manager are many in no. on the site with each of them getting thousands of votes. Make no mistake, WP users may be in millions, but only a few of them actually get to know about that site. And so, these are quite impressive numbers.

Okay. Lets do math. There are 113,081 votes for a file manager on UserVoice. Now, to humor you, lets say each vote is a single person and that no body used more than one vote or created second accounts, bringing the total to 113,081 users who desire the feature. According to Pew Research, 56% of Americans own a smartphone, and based on the current population, comes to 174,490,400 smartphone owners. According to Kantar, WP held 4.8% market share of all smartphones as of October 2013, which is 8,375,539.2 Americans with Windows Phone. Now, 113081?8375539.2= 0.0135013397, or 1.35013397%. So only 1.3% of Windows Phone owners want a file manager.

Now these numbers are skewed, flawed, and by no means solid. But they give you at least a hint to how much people really want such a feature.

Ohhh..., now I understood why are you so much against a file manager. And I must tell you, this is where you are going completely wrong. Contrary to your thinking, a smartphone is a pocket desktop for many people(even if it may not be designed for one). And the smartphone should evolve according to the needs of the people.

First off, no. It is not a pocket desktop, and i don't think you do understand. Also, TellMe then why consumers shifted away from Palm's and Windows Mobile's, and those operating systems didn't last? Smartphone's did evolve to people's needs. And the people's needs did not include a file manager. Hell, when helping people with Androids (such as my father), when the task they want to do requires a file manager, they get annoyed. They are confused as why they have to go through a manager to do something, and why can't the app take care of it.

You seem to be well off to me, since you own an iPhone & most probably can afford a PC as well.

Ever heard of don't jump to conclusions? I don't have an iPhone, and my tablet PC is s#@!.

a PC is never complete without a file manager.

Hahaha. Ha ha. Ha... wait. Are you serious?

And there are also many who want more functionality in the Office suite. Why do you think they are demanding this? Because they need a phone which can act as their desktop. And don't even try to suggest Android for people like these.

I wouldn't. I'd suggest a surface Pro. You can get a refurbished original edition pretty cheap now on eBay.
Of all people to argue against the file manager, I never expected to see Windows fans do it. Whatever happened to the whole productivity thing, Office and all?

It's because there is a difference between Windows Phone fans and Windows fans. Just like there is a split between Windows 7.x- fans and Windows 8.x+ fans.

Moral of the story; a file manager wont hurt. All the people who say it doesn't need it, yeah you don't need it. So don't use it. But bet when its added you will start using it and saying its the best thing since sliced bread. I remember half the people on here saying we don't need a notification center...well we are getting it. And by Jove i bet you will all use it, and not believing how you survived without it. Its the same old same old. Lets stop fighting now. Ha

I'm shutting the D@$# thing off if all possible.

My whole point is the File Manager is unnecessary and not quite like what you think. You can already manage your content now, and as far as missing methods such as albums and downloads, Microsoft is more likely to just update the corresponding software instead of rewriting core parts of the OS. It is easier, after all.

Most modern day smartphone owners, including business minded ones, are the kind of users who want a smartphone that works. Not one they have to spend an hour organizing their files into appropriate folders, only to lose a file and spend all day searching for it. For most people, their smartphone may be their "PC", but is not their computer. They don't expect it to come with a file manager and a full desktop Office suite. They don't expect it to run desktop apps and browse full desktop sites with Flash. Even business users want convenience over utility. They'd rather have a device with the apps they need rather than the OS with the most "desktop features
Honestly, if Microsoft does introduce features like this, i at least hope they implement "Add & Remove Features", so users can chose whether to use it or not.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay. Lets do math. There are 113,081 votes for a file manager on UserVoice. Now, to humor you, lets say each vote is a single person and that no body used more than one vote or created second accounts, bringing the total to 113,081 users who desire the feature. According to Pew Research, 56% of Americans own a smartphone, and based on the current population, comes to 174,490,400 smartphone owners. According to Kantar, WP held 4.8% market share of all smartphones as of October 2013, which is 8,375,539.2 Americans with Windows Phone. Now, 113081?8375539.2= 0.0135013397, or 1.35013397%. So only 1.3% of Windows Phone owners want a file manager.

Now these numbers are skewed, flawed, and by no means solid. But they give you at least a hint to how much people really want such a feature.
That's some dodgy logic there.

UserVoice is not a population wide census system, its results aren't based off asking every single Windows Phone user, but a proportion of those going out of their way to engage with Microsoft about features. Statistically, the number of people engaging to such an extent will always be less than the total sum of those involved. That said, UserVoice still offers an indication of how everyone else is thinking. If there are tens of thousands of people visibly irked about not having a File Manager and willing to talk about it, then chances are, there are many more who wouldn't be upset at seeing it one day on their phones.

I say just add it, but with a smartphone in mind. For example, by default one's downloaded videos should land in the Xbox Videos, downloaded music to Xbox Music, new photos to the Photos, etc. If someone wants to do some added organization, then by all means freaking let them. If they don't, then don't force them to.

Windows Phone has always been about finding that comfortable middle path between the forced worlds of iOS and Android. In fact, I'd take it a step further and say that Windows Phone is the OS that grows as the user becomes more comfortable with the platform. When a new user picks up a WP, the experience should be simple and straightforward (i.e. iOS), but over time, as they desire more control and power, WP should open up and make those added features available when desired.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Office. Skype. Lync. Windows Server. These are things people have been wanting to be tied into for a while. Especially business customers.
I said that about consumers, NOT business customers.

Nope. My father has Office for android, and i can say i haven't seen it do any more than WP can. Not to mention, it requires a 365 subscription to create documents.
I never mentioned MS Office, I said there are many office suites. This means that there are office suites from different companies available on Android. Don't you understand the difference between an 'O' & an 'o'. Go read my statement properly.

Redundancy. If that's all it's for, then there is no need. Again, you already have methods to manage such content, and updates to manage more precisely said content shall come in the future.
Are you a member of the WP dev team at MS that you can say so confidently that updates "shall" come in the future. Again, THE METHODS ARE NOT ENOUGH. Why is it so hard for you to understand? They may be enough for you, but for many others, they aren't.

If making toast is popular for a toaster, then there is no reason why my refrigerator shouldn't do it. See what i mean? Usage case.
A most pointless example. You do know that the only things similar between a toaster & a refrigerator are that both run on electricity & both work with food products. However, if you like a refrigerator which can act as a toaster, then there's no harm. On the other hand, recent mobile OSes are very similar to desktop OSes, from the inside as well as the outside. You look at WP, it uses the same NT kernel as Windows & even the UI is very similar. Even the apps work in a similar way. We never said that MS should bring a Windows Explorer like file manager to WP, rather, we are asking for file manager similar to the one present in OneDrive on Windows. If you still can't get that, then I must be afraid of your intelligence.

Before doing this useless math, had you properly read my statement where I had clearly said that most of the people don't even know about this website, it would have spared you a lot of trouble. Seriously, you are taking such a small group of people & comparing them to the no. of people presently having a WP in the whole country? That too the US!!! Where most of the people have tablets & PCs already!! If you want to have a reasonable estimate, compare them to the total no. of votes polled on every topic at WP uservoice. And then come up with a number. Besides, how did you come up with an actual no. of votes for a file manager?

First off, no. It is not a pocket desktop, and i don't think you do understand. Also, TellMe then why consumers shifted away from Palm's and Windows Mobile's, and those operating systems didn't last? Smartphone's did evolve to people's needs. And the people's needs did not include a file manager. Hell, when helping people with Androids (such as my father), when the task they want to do requires a file manager, they get annoyed. They are confused as why they have to go through a manager to do something, and why can't the app take care of it.
First off, yes, it is a pocket desktop. If it isn't, then it should be. That's the reason why you're seeing phones getting more powerful everyday. They may not reach the power of a desktops built in the same time frame, but they can give old desktops a run for their money. As for Androids, I myself saw an Android just a week ago, & it didn't require me to use a file manager where I did not need it. Besides, it makes no sense to me that why do I have to open an app & find a file through it while I can just select a file & then the corresponding app should open automatically. Just as it happens on desktops. If the files are properly organized, then this is a much easier method. As I have already given the example of the videos present in the photos hub, you can see for yourself how easy it would be. If I could keep all my videos in a videos folder & the videos hub would open automatically when I would select a video, it would be very easy. As to why consumers shifted from Palm,, I don't have much idea about it. But I do know that people left WM because it had poor performance & was unusable with fingers even on a touchscreen. It didn't have many apps too as compared to the iPhone. The iPhone sold well because it worked well & because people in the US have always loved Apple & hated MS. Since anything becoming popular in the US gains popularity throughout the world, so the iPhone sales increased & WM sales decreased. At this point, I would like to reveal a secret to you, there are many who have never seen any iOS device, let alone used it. And these people think that iOS is just a glorified version of Android, with better quality apps. You tell them that it doesn't have a file manager or SD card support, & they will get a big shock.

Ever heard of don't jump to conclusions? I don't have an iPhone, and my tablet PC is s#@!.
You yourself said that you can go back to iOS, so I presumed that you must be having an iPhone or iPad. Even if you don't have one, you can still get them, since you yourself have just said that you can go back to iOS.

Hahaha. Ha ha. Ha... wait. Are you serious?
So you are saying that you are going to have a PC without a file manager. Have you lost your mind? You are fine with a PC having no file manager!!! You seem completely insane when you say this. I repeat, a PC is NEVER complete without a file manager. It's one of the most basic features of any OS. No one is such a big fool that he/she would continue to use their PC without using a file manager, ever.

I wouldn't. I'd suggest a surface Pro. You can get a refurbished original edition pretty cheap now on eBay.
That's a quite mind restoring statement. It makes some of my faith in the world being restored. By the way, thanks for your help, but I can't afford a Surface Pro.

It's because there is a difference between Windows Phone fans and Windows fans. Just like there is a split between Windows 7.x- fans and Windows 8.x+ fans.
But when you are trying to proceed with a "One Microsoft" strategy, then you have to make WP fans AND Windows fans happy. Not just the WP fans.

I'm shutting the D@$# thing off if all possible.

My whole point is the File Manager is unnecessary and not quite like what you think. You can already manage your content now, and as far as missing methods such as albums and downloads, Microsoft is more likely to just update the corresponding software instead of rewriting core parts of the OS. It is easier, after all.
You can shut your hands if you like. That would be the best option. My whole point is the exact opposite, it IS necessary & will be. Whatever these companies try to tell the people. What you are calling managing, is more like just storing & viewing. It's probably the worst type of file management. I'll say this again, it should be onto the people, how they want to mange their files, NOT the OS, NOT the parent company behind the OS & DEFINITELY NOT you.

Most modern day smartphone owners, including business minded ones, are the kind of users who want a smartphone that works. Not one they have to spend an hour organizing their files into appropriate folders, only to lose a file and spend all day searching for it. For most people, their smartphone may be their "PC", but is not their computer. They don't expect it to come with a file manager and a full desktop Office suite. They don't expect it to run desktop apps and browse full desktop sites with Flash. Even business users want convenience over utility. They'd rather have a device with the apps they need rather than the OS with the most "desktop features
Honestly, if Microsoft does introduce features like this, i at least hope they implement "Add & Remove Features", so users can chose whether to use it or not.
I'll say this again, "There is nothing in this world that just works, that's a total joke of a statement & will always remain a joke". Till the time all the people start thinking in the same manner, you can NEVER EVER get anything that just works. It's total propaganda. You have to customize every OS according to your needs & it will always be the same way, till the time you start copying the life of the dev team head of the OS concerned. Better get this fast & learn it.
Finally, can't you read properly? If you can read, don't you understand it? How many times will I have to say, "THE OS SHOULD BE DESIGNED SUCH THAT THOSE WHO DON'T WANT A FILE MANAGER SHOULD NEVER SEE THE NEED OF IT"? For someone who cannot use a file manager properly, why should he fiddle with it? I've never said that after giving a file manager, MS should remove the file management features already present in the OS(which people like you prefer, but I don't). Then why would that person have to look at the file manager at all.
Moreover, what do you mean, when you say, "may be their PC, but not a computer". What do think PC stands for. Personal Computer. A PC is a computer. So, if it's a PC, it is a computer. For most people, it would be the happiest moment of their lives, when they'll be able to run desktop programs on their phones properly. You can make that out, with the amount of money people funded for the Ubuntu Edge, even though it actually could not run desktop Ubuntu on the phone itself. Yet people loved the idea. I never said that people want a desktop office suite on a phone. But the features should definitely be increased. Most of the people(except iOS users)expect a phone to come with a file manager. That's why I got stuck with WP. I couldn't realize that someone could be as insane & foolish that he/she would develop an OS without a file manager. Had I known earlier, I wouldn't have even looked at WP. I would rather have a device with an OS which is fully featured in itself, rather than a glorified app launcher, as iOS seems to me. I want my phone to do powerful tasks, not to play Candy Crush Saga.
As for a full desktop browser with Flash, that would be great, if it can be done without compromising the security of the OS.

At last, I would like to come back to the topic. I do want to know where is the file manager & what is it doing outside the OS. It should have been included by now.

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
That's some dodgy logic there.

UserVoice is not a population wide census system, its results aren't based off asking every single Windows Phone user, but a proportion of those going out of their way to engage with Microsoft about features. Statistically, the number of people engaging to such an extent will always be less than the total sum of those involved. That said, UserVoice still offers an indication of how everyone else is thinking. If there are tens of thousands of people visibly irked about not having a File Manager and willing to talk about it, then chances are, there are many more who wouldn't be upset at seeing it one day on their phones.

I say just add it, but with a smartphone in mind. For example, by default one's downloaded videos should land in the Xbox Videos, downloaded music to Xbox Music, new photos to the Photos, etc. If someone wants to do some added organization, then by all means freaking let them. If they don't, then don't force them to.

Windows Phone has always been about finding that comfortable middle path between the forced worlds of iOS and Android. In fact, I'd take it a step further and say that Windows Phone is the OS that grows as the user becomes more comfortable with the platform. When a new user picks up a WP, the experience should be simple and straightforward (i.e. iOS), but over time, as they desire more control and power, WP should open up and make those added features available when desired.
^^This!!

ronty

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Guys stop this boring pen fighting over a file manager.
As I said before there will be file managers in WP8.1, actually 2 of them (one for the cloud and one for the phone) that will be sufficiant for most people.

:eck:
I'm ready to stop this fight forever, but it seems some are still interested in having one. They have no proper reason to argue against a file manager but they are still doing it.
For the 2nd part of your post,how are you so sure about the presence of a file manager for the phone. Do you have some official information about this?

LillWicke

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm ready to stop this fight forever, but it seems some are still interested in having one. They have no proper reason to argue against a file manager but they are still doing it.
For the 2nd part of your post,how are you so sure about the presence of a file manager for the phone. Do you have some official information about this?
For the 2nd part there is a good filemanager in the store now all ready thru a third party deliver. And as MS have opened up the API and added more things like file picker, the file manager will be even better when implemented. Its up to any dev to construnct a good FM if they want to. Futhermore all app devs kan inplement this inside their own apps as well.

As the file managers will be avaible tru apps you can install it if you want it and not install it if you not want to, the choice is up to the user.
The best part of this handling is that features of the file manager can be updated whithout the need of the OS to be updated.

:smile:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

That is your opinion. You say that a file manager is clear as day in necessity, I say it's absurd and very one-track-minded of an idea. You are presenting an argument, and I'm presenting a counter argument. However, btw, insulting my intelligence levels and reading comprehension is not the very mature thing to do. That changes things from debate to petty argument. :\

As the file managers will be available thru apps you can install it if you want it and not install it if you not want to, the choice is up to the user.

The best part of this handling is that features of the file manager can be updated without the need of the OS to be updated.

:smile:

This is much better of a solution. Thanks for pointing that out. :D

Rafael Sol Maker

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, a File Manager is a welcome addition, but not 100% needed at all. Only for PC-fashioned users.

Forget the fuzzy math and foolish arguments: It's only a minor portion of the users that wants it, most of them either don't need or care about.

I personally want it, but to workaround some limitations, not to use frequently. Makes no sense the frequent use, my phone must be "ready" 100% time.

In these days, there's any sign of sense to lose time digging files in a complex folder structure. That's an absurd.

The arcaic paradigm of folders and all that abstraction should go away and Microsoft would do something better. Something easy and organized, fast and fluid way to USE your files rather than trying to FIND it.

What WP really need is an actual versatile manner to deal with multiple file types in multiple apps. Some APIs can do this, no need to create a separated File Manager to this.

Microsoft stepped in right direction with File Picker. Hopefully they'll do the right thing providing options without much stepping back. Listen to the consumers without advancing the products is not always a big deal, as Microsoft works with innovation. There's need to inovate first to them let the people perceive the actual advantages.

(Just remember: In the times of Henry Ford, if you ask for people needs, they said that wanted faster horses, but he did the car! Same was with PC and graphical interface: Not always the persons understands their own needs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2