The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-08-2014 02:27 PM
124 123 ...
tools
    Totally impressed with Microsoft. Great work developers. But where the hell is File Manager?
    No announcement for it.
    Will it be tomorrow??
    04-02-2014 03:26 PM
    If it exists, it wasn't covered. Relax. This was a high-level overview. Even at that, it took three hours.
    04-02-2014 03:33 PM
    If it exists, it wasn't covered. Relax. This was a high-level overview. Even at that, it took three hours.
    Wasn't in the app list on WPcentral's developer device.
    04-02-2014 03:39 PM
    It came as a surprise that there's no file manager in Windows Phone 8.1. As recently, we got news from MSFT that they are done with File Manager for Windows Phone 8.1. Hope so they unveil something tomorrow.
    Kashan Osama and Mahdi Ghiasi like this.
    04-02-2014 04:12 PM
    It's likely we won't see the File Manager for quite some time, if they had built it we would have seen it.
    altafmahmood and Foma Kiniaev like this.
    04-02-2014 04:40 PM
    I will be hugely disappointed if we don't get this.
    04-02-2014 04:43 PM
    It doesn't look good.
    04-02-2014 04:45 PM
    Why the hell they don't put focus on such an anticipated function? File manager is a must!!!
    04-02-2014 08:39 PM
    I think at this point we will see a file picker (open and save) rather than a file browser in Windows Phone 8.1.

Hopefully someone can at least confirm the file picker is present.
    04-02-2014 08:41 PM
    **** ,damn, again fooled ms. File manager is must in a smartphone. without file manager its not a smartphone. We dont need a file picker.
    They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android's back bench to understand features of a good smart phone.
    I waited for WP8.1 for 3 months. waste.....................
    Last edited by Hakkim Nadapuram; 04-05-2014 at 03:21 PM.
    04-02-2014 09:10 PM
    **** ,damn, again fooled ms. File manager is must in a smartphone. without file manager its not a smartphone. We dont need a file picker.
    They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android back bench to understand features of good a smart phone
    Lol...even iPhone doesn't have a file manager but its still a smart phone...I know its an absolutely required feature for some of you guys..but calling it not a smart phone coz of not having it is too much of a stretch
    04-02-2014 09:27 PM
    Calm folks even ios doesn't have true system level file manager and wp wont ever have it either...giving a root level file manager to user = compromising security...so yes it is an annoyance but people have to get over it as apple fans have already....BUT at the same time it would be a nice if they make a robust sandboxed file manager..allowing read only access to basic apps like Photos music and Office...and to make any changes the file manager would be able to only import the copy of the file in its storage,provided with robust features like creating zip files,sending them to mail,sync etc..it would do wonders IMHO..

As an example people can look for "documents for readdle 5" for iOS...though file manager don't have access to the any apps except photos..

BUT we are able to "open in" the docs,attachments,files in Documents by readdle app,only from the said app and not from file manager...it is an annoyance but this is how things work in a closed eco system..once you get hang of it..you even become productive with it...

imho wp must do the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    04-02-2014 09:28 PM
    They know its importance but they don't made satisfaction to their customers. They want to sit android back bench to understand features of good a smart phone

Some how i found it funny......dont curse you can swith to android if you like it...
    04-02-2014 09:31 PM
    Looks like three people are really ticked off at Microsoft today.
    sahib lopez, hs k and a5cent like this.
    04-02-2014 09:35 PM
    I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager. Ever. So to the people that say it's"required" and "essential" are greatly over exaggerating.
    04-02-2014 09:40 PM
    I've never owned a smartphone with a file manager. Ever. So to the people that say it's"required" and "essential" are greatly over exaggerating.
    it would be nice though. I want one so i have a simple way to allow users to load their own samples into my app :)

Doesn't have to be root level, just allow access to a folder on the phone called "files". Can copy files to it from a PC when plugged in, and a filepicker on the phone can load them into apps.
    04-02-2014 09:52 PM
    As long as there's a file picker, I'm fine with it. I don't really see a need for a file manager. If I needed that, I'd use OneDrive. I just want the ability to say "attach" in an email and browse to a PDF file. That's all I need. That's all I want. Can someone confirm if this is available in WP8.1?
    04-03-2014 08:34 AM
    Lol...even iPhone doesn't have a file manager but its still a smart phone...I know its an absolutely required feature for some of you guys..but calling it not a smart phone coz of not having it is too much of a stretch
    Sorry, but at least I don't take iPhone as a smartphone. You can call me anything you want, but when I'm purchasing a smartphone, I'll never even look at an iPhone. Even if I have the money to buy one. I'll rather take the S5, Note 3 or G2, but never an iPhone.
    Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-04-2014 03:57 AM
    iPhone does have a file manager through third party apps.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-04-2014 04:15 AM
    Would have liked a file manager. I think they still need to figure out how to mange internal storage though. Like WP8.1 allows some cool storage features with a micro SD, but besides the 1520 and the low end Lumias no one else will see them.

The ability to go in and delete files from time to time is pretty crucial in my opinion for having complete control over what is in your internal storage. No matter what anyone else says, a file manger is something I have valued greatly in a smartphone.

Kashan Osama likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:19 AM
    If it won't come with wp8.1 there's alway the Third party app "Pocket file manager" and it's pretty much complete...
    Anyway I don't need a file manager when the OS is well structured, a file picker is enough I think
    ravisankhla likes this.
    04-04-2014 04:26 AM
    I am a developer and I have the 8.1 SDK with 8.1 emulators and I'm sorry to say that there is no file manager
    04-04-2014 04:28 AM
    iPhone does have a file manager through third party apps.

Windows Phone also has a file manager through third party apps :P
    04-04-2014 04:30 AM
    I am a developer and I have the 8.1 SDK with 8.1 emulators and I'm sorry to say that there is no file manager
    Can you check if the file Manager is integrated into OneDrive? Thanks
    04-04-2014 04:31 AM
    as long as there is a file picker, developers can built an app using it. but, is videos folder is still locked?
    Mahdi Ghiasi and CSMR250 like this.
    04-04-2014 04:43 AM
124 123 ...