The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-18-2014 08:38 PM
392 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    everything you said compromises HEAVILY on security, HEAVILY !!!
    I agree actionable notifications would've been nice, and i think you haven't tried out pocket file manager, it is probably more powerful than many android file managers, and it can do anything you want from a file manager, including full sd card support.
    The argument here was about "useful things that android can do and wp can't"...

Don't switch to that security argument now:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:07 PM
    Thought on this guys? I think WP8.1 is closing the gap.
    I don't think it's closing the gap, I think it is better. What Microsoft really did better than Apple and Google (Samsung if you will) is that they really centered the Windows Phone OS around the user instead of around the apps. They showed innovation by making the UI something completely different than the boring Icons grids of the competition. Besides that, it gives a really personal experience and concentrating the visual content on what the user is caring the most about. The LiveTiles and the Hubs are a great example of this. I really like the fact that you can pin your favorite stuff to the Start screen including the people you care about. I have some of my closest friends and my girlfriend pinned to my Start-screen, enabling me to instantly see what is going on. I can directly see their status updates, received emails, missed calls etc. I love it and that is something that is completely lacking with Android and iOS.
    Also the fact that the home-screen is very dynamic and live is something that is appealing to a lot of people I'm showing my phone to.

WP8.1 adds the features that brings it on a considerable even level with Android and iOS, but the WP OS itself is already far more ahead of the competition from a user perspective, I think. And in the end, it's all about the user, right?
    Last edited by Lobbie1978; 04-08-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo's
    04-08-2014 01:25 PM
    I don't think it's closing the gap, I think it is better. What Microsoft really did better than Apple and Google (Samsung if you will) is that they really centered the Windows Phone OS around the user instead of around the apps.
    Nice explaination for not having the apps, it cetrainly is the plan.

They showed innovation by making the UI something completely different than the boring Icons grids of the competition.
    Well, the tiles also are based on a grid, rather boring.
    04-08-2014 01:27 PM
    Defaults and Intents

Allow third party apps to replace stock apps (launchers, keyboards, SMS apps, dialers, mostly everything can be replaced)

Deep app to app integration

Sharing between apps (data and everything else)

File Managers (Third party or first party depending on smartphone manufacturer)

Actionable notifications

Googles Services

Open source so manufacturers can add touches that allow even more functionality

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Those are all things we don't need (heck, don't even want) on Windows Phone.
    04-08-2014 01:32 PM
    Add IR port, better copy and paste, smart screen and split screen multi tasking and it will be right there.
    04-08-2014 01:35 PM
    Speak for yourself, not the whole user base, would you?
    A895 likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:41 PM
    Speak for yourself, not the whole user base, would you?
    Well majority of people here at WPC would agree that we dont need keyboards, custom SMS apps, launchers etc..
    We have a great file manager, and MS services are better than google's in most regards (atleast if you have the will to switch over), sharing between apps is super risky for the OS and is shouldn't be allowed as it cant be controlled easily (it should be allowed on permission basis, as is already done), and MS was never about open source, which would just kill MS.
    I'm loving my decision to pick a WP (i got over the launcher etc fad, that was time pass only) and i wont go back now !

P.S. We do need actionable notifications and split screen. But some new things coming in wp8.1 (allowing devs to code to let apps retrieve your messages in background so that you click on a toast and the app opens in a split second) make actionable notifications not that big a thing to miss.
    Lobbie1978 likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:46 PM
    Adding launchers (to replace the most personal home screen), SMS apps (to replace the fastest SMS client i've seen), keyboards (to replace the fastest non swype keyboard, and soon it is getting swype), all this isn't useful IMO. They take the peace of mind away from you, and make the OS slow and buggy. The stock stuff is properly optimised, and is super secure. MS has not got any reason to see your usage patterns for ads.
    Sorry, i find WP more useful (except apps).
    04-08-2014 01:52 PM
    Nice explaination for not having the apps, it cetrainly is the plan.
    Well, it is really the thing ! The OS is centered on YOU, not your apps. Think about it !
    Well, the tiles also are based on a grid, rather boring.
    Tiles and boring ? Not many takers for that !
    Lobbie1978 likes this.
    04-08-2014 01:54 PM
    Oh yes ? Isn't allowing an app to take over your homescreen, read your messages, see what you type (OMG THIS IS SO INSECURE ! and the default keyboard it much better than most ! the upcoming one is better than swipe), isn't all this insecure ?
    p.s. you should really try pocket file manager ! It can handle almost everything, MS allowed it access privileges. It can even edit id3 tags (there are few file managers which do that even on android), and does everything you may want it to, and is constantly updated with new features.
    And you can install dialers at present too..
    You are being a little sensationalist. Its not insecure.

04-08-2014 02:00 PM
    That is just a list of stuff on Android, I didn't say WP needs it.

04-08-2014 02:00 PM
    In terms of device usability, OS performance and app stability, a definite yes.
    In terms of quality of store apps, better than Android (with such a huge number of malwares), but still not as good as the apps on iOS.
    In terms of OS features, much much powerful than iOS but just under Android.

I moved from Android (Samsing Galaxy S 4G and HTC One S) to Windows Phone with the Lumia 900, then upgraded to 920 and now use a 1520.
    I am NOT going back to Android nor am I going to switch to an iPhone( i do have an ipad and love it, just in case you guys think i am a blind apple hater)

I love WP and am sure Microsoft will work towards eliminating whatever gap still remains, by the next iteration (WP8.2 or WP9)
    04-08-2014 02:02 PM
    Adding launchers (to replace the most personal home screen), SMS apps (to replace the fastest SMS client i've seen), keyboards (to replace the fastest non swype keyboard, and soon it is getting swype), all this isn't useful IMO. They take the peace of mind away from you, and make the OS slow and buggy. The stock stuff is properly optimised, and is super secure. MS has not got any reason to see your usage patterns for ads.
    Sorry, i find WP more useful (except apps).
    Its only slow and buggy if you allow it to be so. Android is made where the user experience is whatever YOU the user make it. Regarding ads, there are actually a lot of apps that don't have ads and ads are in apps on the Windows store too.

Kashan Osama and prasath1234 like this.
    04-08-2014 02:03 PM
    In terms of device usability, OS performance and app stability, a definite yes.
    In terms of quality of store apps, better than Android (with such a huge number of malwares), but still not as good as the apps on iOS.
    In terms of OS features, much much powerful than iOS but just under Android.

I moved from Android (Samsing Galaxy S 4G and HTC One S) to Windows Phone with the Lumia 900, then upgraded to 920 and now use a 1520.
    I am NOT going back to Android nor am I going to switch to an iPhone( i do have an ipad and love it, just in case you guys think i am a blind apple hater)

I love WP and am sure Microsoft will work towards eliminating whatever gap still remains, by the next iteration (WP8.2 or WP9)
    I'm still confused why people are claiming a large number of malware of android. Is there any sources to back this up? Or are you just repeating the status quo around here? Its not true as of right now with android so I don't think its should be said anymore like it's a fact.

04-08-2014 02:13 PM
    Its only slow and buggy if you allow it to be so. Android is made where the user experience is whatever YOU the user make it. Regarding ads, there are actually a lot of apps that don't have ads and ads are in apps on the Windows store too.

no but google monitors everything you do to give you targetted ads. MS respects your info by not pulling ad info from it.
    04-08-2014 02:30 PM
    no but google monitors everything you do to give you targetted ads. MS respects your info by not pulling ad info from it.
    Well that is a lie. Microsoft just like Google uses ads based on your interests. Google only monitors what you give them. Google does not just pull info about you from the sky.

04-08-2014 02:46 PM
    Add IR port
    The new Samsung coming on Verizon (pre-order right now) does have a IR port....

I think it's starting to get closer, in the gap at least for OS features with 8.1. I still think we still have a problem with apps. The apps issue is one of those catch 22 things.... We cant get the apps because we don't sell the phones... Maybe 8.1 will change that.

I will admit one thing I have noticed over the last month, I have noticed a lot of Windows Phone users pining against Cut the Rope 2 with requests for WP on facebook....
    04-08-2014 03:22 PM
    I'd say it's on par with both, especially iOS. Android might have a few more customization features that WP doesn't have but I don't really care about things like animated backgrounds.
    04-08-2014 03:23 PM
    I know some may consider this silly or overkill, but i really wish the IE11 version on WP8.1 added buttons for back/forward dedicated for the App...or even added the ability to swipe back/forward much like iOS/W8. This little missing feature is keeping me from jumping back to windows since i use my phone to browse 90% of the time. Otherwise, 8.1 has closed the gap nicely and i want to see MS continuing support.
    04-08-2014 03:25 PM
    I know some may consider this silly or overkill, but i really wish the IE11 version on WP8.1 added buttons for back/forward dedicated for the App...or even added the ability to swipe back/forward much like iOS/W8. This little missing feature is keeping me from jumping back to windows since i use my phone to browse 90% of the time. Otherwise, 8.1 has closed the gap nicely and i want to see MS continuing support.
    If I remember correctly IE on WP8.1 allows a swipe in the browser to go back and forward.

04-08-2014 03:29 PM
    If I remember correctly IE on WP8.1 allows a swipe in the browser to go back and forward.

Seriously?! I really hope so, its a feature many of my friends from iPhone were asking about and its a big deal to them too. I watched the IE11 demo video from BUILD but it didn't detail it, from what i remember.
    04-08-2014 03:50 PM
    Seriously?! I really hope so, its a feature many of my friends from iPhone were asking about and its a big deal to them too. I watched the IE11 demo video from BUILD but it didn't detail it, from what i remember.
    It does, it's been confirmed via the emulator.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Kit Katted
    A895 likes this.
    04-08-2014 03:57 PM
    It does, it's been confirmed via the emulator.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Kit Katted
    Ok great news thanks for the confirmation! =)
    04-08-2014 04:12 PM
    It's almost on par. Feature-wise, it's almost there. But like others have said, Windows Phone has to be better. Especially to convince iPhone users, who are very often either religiously zealously attached to their iPhones to the point of praying to Steve Jobs at night before bed, too uninformed to know that there is another smartphone aside from iPhone, or won't switch until they believe it's 'cool' to do so.

From Build, we see that we have week view, Cortana, in-car integration being worked on, and lots of other little features. This is definitely good news. Though Windows Phone does need a few extra things, such as location-based reminders (Cortana might do this, but a Cortana-less way to do reminders should be available), HDR photos should be enabled on every Windows Phone, zoom-out with mini-thumbnails of your images (see iOS7) vs. the little bars you get by tapping the date, when sharing a pinned location, it should auto-open in the default mapping app on your WP (now it just sends a text with 'check out this place') when you click on it; now it's just a little text message with no difference from any other text message. I could go on, but just check out reviews of iOS7 and the most recent Android to see which features could be added.

I would still like to see some 'niceties' such as parallax motion backgrounds on the lock screen (look at Zune HD, which had this on its home screen), motion weather apps on the lock screen over the lock screen back ground, playlist editing in XBMusic, restoration of Zune in place of separate X-Box Music/Video/Podcasts (Hubs are much nicer than the separate apps. I've used both.), add 'places' in the Pictures hub to view pictures grouped by place (instead of getting rid of the picture hub concept like it appears we get), move Cortana to tap/hold Start and restore contextual search within apps, and add tap/hold search for Bing Search, alphabetized settings (what order are they in now?), and adding share-to to share an e-mail, song, album, video, tv show, website to a friend nearby (iPhone has this).

What I would like WP to avoid is the removal of the camera button, the lack of microSD, and the continued use of capacitive buttons. Capacitive buttons are always the cause of accidental presses, whereas if we had physical buttons, this wouldn't be an issue. OEMs continually give us limited memory (16GB in 2014? really?) instead of including microSD for expansion. A Camera button sets WP apart from the other two OSs, and should always be required.

The Windows Phone app in Windows 7/8 is still horrible, as is X-Box Music and X-Box Video. Zune and Windows Phone 7 was much much better. Using iTunes with iPhone is a better experience than what Windows users have today. I would like to see Microsoft restoring Zune, use that for purchasing apps in Windows Phone and restoring it, along with movie/tv/music/podcast/audiobook loading/browsing/listening.

Short version: It's really closing the gap. But the perception gap really needs work. A lot of people are terribly uninformed an even when you show them Windows Phone being better, they forget 5 minutes later. You need more advertisements to tout the new features.
    04-08-2014 04:13 PM
    Its not a household name, so in that sense its behind.
    04-08-2014 04:32 PM
392 ... 89101112 ...