04-18-2014 08:38 PM
392 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Most of the features in android are nt at all useful, we dnt even know wht is their functionality
    But iOS only gives us features which we may use and will use...not useless features
    And moreover, iOS provides us with a trust, loyalty...its nt lyk android.
    And furthermore, if iOS had not been invented there would not have been any other OS....with such advanced feature, it was iOS which gave us all the basic features and provided other companies with the concept of such features
    So basically other companies are jst doing wht iOS has taught them..
    04-03-2014 12:00 PM
    I don't buy the notion that a lot of iOS users are bored and waiting to jump to something else. I think they're perfectly happy as clams in the iOS ecosystem. I honestly don't know what Microsoft can do to attract new customers away from iOS/Android. I think it's pretty much doomed to < 5% marketshare.
    You do know that there are actually markets where the Windows Phone market share has now exceeded iOS right? If I'm not mistaken Italy is one of them. I'd have to look at the charts again as there are more.
    04-03-2014 12:03 PM
    Most of the features in android are nt at all useful, we dnt even know wht is their functionality
    But iOS only gives us features which we may use and will use...not useless features
    And moreover, iOS provides us with a trust, loyalty...its nt lyk android.
    And furthermore, if iOS had not been invented there would not have been any other OS....with such advanced feature, it was iOS which gave us all the basic features and provided other companies with the concept of such features
    So basically other companies are jst doing wht iOS has taught them..
    I don't even....

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Ivin Laney and James8561 like this.
    04-03-2014 12:17 PM
    I don't even....

Same here...

Tons of great mobile operating systems long before iOS.
    MikeSo likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:24 PM
    I would say yes IF they had File Explorer, how come we can't pick up files in email or Whatsapp or save them in Whatsapp (like videos, or music, etc) ... so to me, they're still not there YET
    A895 likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:31 PM
    I would say yes IF they had File Explorer, how come we can't pick up files in email or Whatsapp or save them in Whatsapp (like videos, or music, etc) ... so to me, they're still not there YET
    I wanted them to announce a file manager too.

04-03-2014 12:40 PM
    I like that cortana sings
    Tragic likes this.
    04-03-2014 12:51 PM
    I don't buy the notion that a lot of iOS users are bored and waiting to jump to something else. I think they're perfectly happy as clams in the iOS ecosystem. I honestly don't know what Microsoft can do to attract new customers away from iOS/Android. I think it's pretty much doomed to < 5% marketshare.
    Then how come that WP has past by IOS on many markets?
    04-03-2014 01:32 PM
    Then how come that WP has past by IOS on many markets?
    I would imagine that price has a lot to do with it.
    04-03-2014 01:35 PM
    Yeah, I agree with everyone. Hopefully, the 'Apps" excuse diminish.
    I think, for purposes of growing the user base, it's always been about the apps. What MS does on the development side is IMO more important than what they do in the OS feature side. Yes, people want all the improvements that WP8.1 brings, but I think few people rejected a purchase because there weren't toggles for WiFi. I do think LOTS of people rejected a purchase because the WP logo was never anywhere to be seen in corporate advertisements on TV, newspapers, Internet etc.
    04-03-2014 01:38 PM
    You do know that there are actually markets where the Windows Phone market share has now exceeded iOS right? If I'm not mistaken Italy is one of them. I'd have to look at the charts again as there are more.
    I'd imagine those are markets that had low smartphone penetration, and WP takes a larger share of people that go from feature phones to smartphones, due to price sensitivity. It seems that these are markets where people often pay non-subsidized price for smartphones, which make low cost offerings such as the Lumia 5x and 6x series attractive.
    04-03-2014 01:40 PM
    I agree, if you talk about iOS. I think those who have bought iPhones are pretty happy - it's a high quality product. But I think WP can take users that are currently with low-end or midrange Android phones.
    04-03-2014 01:43 PM
    I dont think Windows Phone will make any in roads in the high end world. People using those devices are already set in their habits,have already bought tons of content and most likely wont be changing platforms, being Android or IOS. But they can do a lot of damage in the mid to low end and with people buying their first phone. Google is also interested in that market the so called next billion. Apple doesnt seem to be too interested.

WP has a lot of future still, here in Mexico I see them quite often now, 520s, 820 etc.
    04-03-2014 01:44 PM
    I would imagine that price has a lot to do with it.
    On UK or Italy??
    I don't think so.
    04-03-2014 01:45 PM
    Although, it's my favorite OS, it's still behind Android and IOS in many ways. Weather we want to admit or not, it's a fact that we are getting some basic functionality way too slow. BUT!!! I also beleive that WP is ahead in terms if quality and safety and speed of OS and that it takes time to grow up. Better slower but better, then faster and Android alike. :)
    I'll stick with WP and I beleive that in 5 years it could become 2nd OS out there.
    04-03-2014 01:54 PM
    I agree with a lot of you. I believe Windows Phone 8.1 has really narrowed, and if not closed the gap between itself iOS, ad Android. I think the only real problem Microsoft is facing here in the US is carrier exclusivity. If you look at the iPhone it is available on all US carriers both the iPhone 5s and 5c. A lot of the Flagship Android are again, available on all carries, but when it comes to Windows Phone sadly the only way to get the device you want that isn't available for your carrier is to buy a full unlock device. Many consumer in the US don't both or don't want to buy a phone full price to use on their carrier. Its cheaper for them to use the next best thing to them that's open them and sadly its a iPhone or Android device that they see. I think that if all Windows Phone devices where available across the spectrum, we would see a huge jump in adoption rate which in turn, would lead to some serious competition between the big 3 OS here in the sates.
    LillWicke, cckgz4 and James8561 like this.
    04-03-2014 02:04 PM
    Some people (and/or companies) may be tired of spending fortunes to buy Iphone, paying more than they can to have much more than they really need. I'm talking about Apple here. Very few options and always cost much. Some people may want larger screens, thinner devices, cameraphones, NFC and other things.

Some Android customers may be tired of bad low-cost options. Since Android NEEDS at least a brand new design Dual Core - not this garbages 2009~2011 processors and chipsets (most of them) - AND 2GB RAM to really works. Freezes, reboots, bad memmory management, etc. I'm only speak problems about problems here, I know Android is a very good OS an we know the benefits widely.

I know a countless people who migrate to Windows Phone and they are very satisfied and excited with the Windows Phone ecosystem. Happy to pay so little to have much (Lumias 520, 620, 720 and 820). I know only one person dissatisfied about WP. And that's probably because the Lumia 710 ( WP7 ) was still a very raw.

If all companies think like you, there would be no innovation and no one would try to enter in a market that is dominated by other company. That would be good? I don't think so.

Anyway, IMHO, there's a lot of space here to offers a good choice for than Apple and Android customers.
    Last edited by Rodrigo Mendes; 04-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    04-03-2014 02:24 PM
    I'll go ahead and just say that it's on par. It's still missing some things, like proper landscape support, and still has the same outdated Office from Windows Phone 7.0.

However if Microsoft takes 18 months to ship the next major update again, the OS will fall behind yet again.
    04-03-2014 02:29 PM
    I'd say, that WP 8.1 is at a similar level as iOS and Android. Cortana seems better PDA than the ones found in the competitor's OSs.
    than there are stuff, that some consider as a flaw in a system (the lack of file explorer - which I don't really miss that much..) the limitations of apps/OS connectivity (that are bad for users creativity, but good for safety), so you can't really blame M$ for those...

than there are some minor stuff that we could use, but can live without (the auto off cappacitive lights on video preview, split screen, number of apps etc.)
    however, I can hardl wait for the update!
    04-03-2014 04:30 PM
    I would say don't worry folks. There's still a lot more information to come today and tomorrow. ;)

Not everyone will get what they want, but that's always true with anything.

Also just to point out...for folks who are saying they will jump ship, that's fine. That's to be expected, and I don't expect or want people sticking with a product that doesn't fit what they want.
    04-03-2014 04:35 PM
    I think, for purposes of growing the user base, it's always been about the apps. What MS does on the development side is IMO more important than what they do in the OS feature side. Yes, people want all the improvements that WP8.1 brings, but I think few people rejected a purchase because there weren't toggles for WiFi. I do think LOTS of people rejected a purchase because the WP logo was never anywhere to be seen in corporate advertisements on TV, newspapers, Internet etc.
    Absolutely true. And it's the reason I'm hesitant (yet very tempted) and others I've discussed this matter with won't even consider WP.
    04-03-2014 05:03 PM
    Honestly Microsoft is 3 years behind iOS and Android in terms of engineering. How can they ever catch up when Apple/Google are pedal-to-the-metal all guns blazing? Apple & Google will never make the MS mistake of resting on their laurels. Not that Microsoft was ever an innovator, so I'm not sure the historical comparisons even apply.
    04-03-2014 06:18 PM
    Honestly Microsoft is 3 years behind iOS and Android in terms of engineering. How can they ever catch up when Apple/Google are pedal-to-the-metal all guns blazing? Apple & Google will never make the MS mistake of resting on their laurels. Not that Microsoft was ever an innovator, so I'm not sure the historical comparisons even apply.
    So, if Microsoft is 3 years behind, what does iOS and/or Android have that WP8.1 doesn't?
    04-03-2014 06:21 PM
    So, if Microsoft is 3 years behind, what does iOS and/or Android have that WP8.1 doesn't?

It's not just about wp getting an application or functionality, it's about it being wp first shot... vs iOS and Android that have had multiple updates on the same application/functionality over the years.

The maturity of applications and bug squashing takes time.
    04-03-2014 07:07 PM
    04-03-2014 07:34 PM
392 ... 45678 ...