The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-18-2014 08:38 PM
392 ... 56789 ...
tools
    04-03-2014 07:38 PM
    Honestly Microsoft is 3 years behind iOS and Android in terms of engineering. How can they ever catch up when Apple/Google are pedal-to-the-metal all guns blazing? Apple & Google will never make the MS mistake of resting on their laurels. Not that Microsoft was ever an innovator, so I'm not sure the historical comparisons even apply.
    They weren't resting on their laurels. While making WM7 (Photon) they realized it wouldn't be enough. They decided to take a huge risk and scrap their entire last decade worth of work to start over fresh with nothing to tie it to the old OS.

That's not resting on laurels. That's taking a huge gamble...and hoping that strategy pays off. You can question whether or not they made the wrong move, certainly. However resting on their laurels is as far as you can get from what they've been doing.

As regards not being innovative...they were practically single-handedly responsible for the entire home PC revolution...and also responsible for a huge ton of the early consumer smartphone market.

DirectX, Xbox the first truly broadband capable and fully online multiplayer console, Zune HD which had HD Radio and an OLED screen, SPOT watches, I can keep going...

I call that a lot of hard work. Without Microsoft a lot of the tech you see today would likely have never existed.
    04-03-2014 07:41 PM
    Microsoft messed up long before Google and Apple were even thinking about mobile.. in fact, Google wasn't even a company at that point. So if you think that MS are behind them in any way.. you are just referring to recent developments..

If you look deeper into the history of what happened, the big blow to MS came from Nokia in the mid/late 90s and early 00s.

Bill Gates knew exactly how important mobile was, and this is exactly why they started the Pegasus project, or as most of us know it.. Windows CE

The History of Microsoft Windows CE - Windows CE 1.0x - HPC Factor

A pocket form factor; size should not exceed 18x10x2.5 cm (7x4x1 in)
    Power supplied by two AA batteries
    Weigh less than 500g (1 pound)
    QWERTY keyboard containing standard keys Ctrl, Alt and Shift)
    LCD touch screen display of 480x240 pixels with 4 grayscales and 2 bits per pixel
    Stylus to use like a mouse on the touch screen
    Minimum of 4 MB of ROM
    Minimum of 2 MB of RAM with a redundant power source
    HPSIR compatible Infrared port
    RS-232 Serial port
    PCMCIA slot
    Built-in audio output device
    Run on the SuperH 3, MIPS 3000 or MIPS 4000 processor architecture

This was back in 1996!

Unfortunately for Microsoft things didn't go as planed in terms of getting the big phone OEMs on board with them, which at the time were Nokia, Ericsson, and Motorola.

Nokia chose Symbian, for various reason including technical and political, and took Ericsson and Motorola with them. This was the tipping point for MS and their mobile efforts.. they got stuck with desktop OEMs to design mobile phones.

It was just really just bad timing.. Their OS was more resource hungry than Symbian, and overall the hardware just wasn't ready for Windows.. its simply wasn't powerful enough, so they (MS) had to let off the gas, and by the time they realized that its time to step on it again Apple and Google snuck in.. great/lucky timing on their part.
    04-03-2014 08:26 PM
    To me....WP8.1 performance is better than android and on par with ios..the only thing it still behind is the app n game in app store..
    Run iOS 7 (Rainbow Bright) on a dual core like my 1020 wp has and see what performance you get. iOS gets it performance by having higher hardware specs.
    04-03-2014 08:30 PM
    Almost. Microsoft has done everything it CAN do, and has almost completely caught up. The only thing missing in my opinion is well-done Google services and apps. The lack of these services makes it difficult for a user of any of Google services to completely switch to WP. Microsoft just has to wait for the market to respond to all that's been added to WP, hopefully increasing market share and hopefully forcing Google to finally play nice with WP.
    04-03-2014 08:35 PM
    Then how come that WP has past by IOS on many markets?
    ​In poorer countries where people can't afford iPhones.
    04-03-2014 11:16 PM
    They weren't resting on their laurels. While making WM7 (Photon) they realized it wouldn't be enough. They decided to take a huge risk and scrap their entire last decade worth of work to start over fresh with nothing to tie it to the old OS.

That's not resting on laurels. That's taking a huge gamble...and hoping that strategy pays off. You can question whether or not they made the wrong move, certainly. However resting on their laurels is as far as you can get from what they've been doing.

As regards not being innovative...they were practically single-handedly responsible for the entire home PC revolution...and also responsible for a huge ton of the early consumer smartphone market.

DirectX, Xbox the first truly broadband capable and fully online multiplayer console, Zune HD which had HD Radio and an OLED screen, SPOT watches, I can keep going...

I call that a lot of hard work. Without Microsoft a lot of the tech you see today would likely have never existed.
    Alot of hard work on bad ideas. Funny how Apple and Google just keep making hit after hit while MS flounders.
    04-03-2014 11:18 PM
    ​In poorer countries where people can't afford iPhones.
    Exactly

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    04-03-2014 11:29 PM
    It's closed most gaps besides apps. But at this point most of the gaps need to be closed by Android and iOS, because WP is ahead.
    04-04-2014 02:48 AM
    With the WP8.1 upgrade Microsoft managed to resolve all issues causing an inferior experience as well as deploy enough innovative features and the most advanced personal assistant to date, who cares if Apple had Siri years ago, actually it makes Cortana that much more impressive, even with a multi year head start Siri is still unable to come.close to the capabilities and functionality of Cortana.
    04-04-2014 03:46 AM
    Personally I believe it has. Question is going forward can they maintain the pace of apple and google or will we forever be getting excited with big updates that catch us up...after spending another a year behind the others.
    04-04-2014 03:58 AM
    Seems a pretty disappointing update. Cortana is a rip off of Google Now - a creepy feature that few people use. It does a bit more than Siri, which also few people use. The notification centre is a rip off of iOS when they should have ripped off Android. It misses the most basic feature that mobile phones have had for decades - icons that show what notifications you have in a bar at the top of the screen! I wonder if Microsoft are really trying.
    04-04-2014 04:09 AM
    Seems a pretty disappointing update. Cortana is a rip off of Google Now - a creepy feature that few people use. It does a bit more than Siri, which also few people use. The notification centre is a rip off of iOS when they should have ripped off Android. It misses the most basic feature that mobile phones have had for decades - icons that show what notifications you have in a bar at the top of the screen! I wonder if Microsoft are really trying.
    Google Now is only as creepy as you allow it to be. Unlike Siri, you have to opt in to use it and it can be disabled.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    04-04-2014 04:14 AM
    As far as my needs are concerned WP is on par with both iOS and Android.
    I've been a long time Symbian and android user and frankly i got tired of both. The endless tweaking, lagging (if you want a lag free android phone you need to buy expensive phones), late updates (My Optimus 3D was just receiving ICS while newer phones were running 4.2.2 - a year and a half after official announcment) etc.. All I wanted was a phone that was not expensive, works fast and stable, has all the features I need (WP8 has most of them, but not all. WP 8.1 now fixed that). I bought an HTC 8S for 140$ and never looked back.
    04-04-2014 04:27 AM
    Google Now is only as creepy as you allow it to be. Unlike Siri, you have to opt in to use it and it can be disabled.
    Yes, that's exactly what I did (disable it, that is). Because it is creepy. For me, it would be better if Google had spent their money on some other feature - and the same for Cortana on Windows Phone.
    04-04-2014 06:21 AM
    Guys this is what Windows Phone should be:

This concept defines the next version of Windows Phone, the Windows Phone 8.1 update is nothing compared to this. Please have a look

My twitter: @NikCR7
    04-04-2014 06:24 AM

This concept defines the next version of Windows Phone, the Windows Phone 8.1 update is nothing compared to this. Please have a look

Clutterfcuk.
    A895 likes this.
    04-04-2014 06:25 AM

imagine using that on a 3.5 inch phone
    04-04-2014 06:29 AM
    Yes, that's exactly what I did (disable it, that is). Because it is creepy. For me, it would be better if Google had spent their money on some other feature - and the same for Cortana on Windows Phone.
    For you. Google and Cortana only have as much data as you give them.

04-04-2014 06:52 AM

It beats the purpose of it being a phone OS of you make it exactly like Windows 8.

04-04-2014 06:54 AM
    i already preferred WP to android, the designer in me, always liked the simpler formulaic, known quantity GUI / homescreen to that of the cluttered mess and noisy to the eye android widgets/icons affair - IOS isnt bad to be fair, and have no beefs with that, but android for me, in terms of looks only, is the bottom of the pile - only thing i worry about is that WP doesn't start to become like android ;p
    04-04-2014 07:10 AM
    i already preferred WP to android, the designer in me, always liked the simpler formulaic, known quantity GUI / homescreen to that of the cluttered mess and noisy to the eye android widgets/icons affair - IOS isnt bad to be fair, and have no beefs with that, but android for me, in terms of looks only, is the bottom of the pile - only thing i worry about is that WP doesn't start to become like android ;p
    Cluttered mess? Android can be as clean as you want it to be.

Attached Thumbnails 1396613598139.jpg  
    04-04-2014 07:13 AM
    Cluttered mess? Android can be as clean as you want it to be.

People here fear customization. Nothing new. There are even multiple threads speaking against Windows Phone wallpapers.
    A895 and anony_mouse like this.
    04-04-2014 07:17 AM
    I don't think so there is a 3.5" device of Windows Phone yet, the least is 3.8".

Do anyone of you like this concept? Don't you see the idea of making Windows Phone look more like Windows 8.1?

04-04-2014 07:41 AM
    So tell me if I have this wrong:1. Now I must pay to use the Xbox Music that came with my phone, even when listening to music I own (local files).
    2. No Live Tile depicting the artist now playing.
    3. No way to continue using MPATool to improve on the album and artist art that MS only gets right when you buy it from them and store it bin the cloud.
    4. Incur huge data bills while listening to that music stored in the cloud...even if they are my files.

Well if Music and it's visual presentation is what draws you to a phone then I see why my friends have iPhones and use iTunes

First they kill a great Zune program and now that the Xbox music hub is working we lose it too. Hmm...both of those were free programs right? Anyone else see a TREND??
    04-04-2014 07:41 AM
392 ... 56789 ...